Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...7 8 9 · >>
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#31New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 21:52:54
@jonnythan Said

What about them? Very different history, much more ethnically homogenous, much lower population density, less economic disparity, etc.

Then what about Australia. We were colonised by the British. The natives were shot and their lands taken, yet WE arent a gun loving culture..*shrugs*
Electric_Banana On about 10 hours ago

, New Zealand
#32New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 21:56:41
@Forumless Said

Intentional? What in the world does that mean?

That caught me off guard as well but then remembered that there are a lot of stupid people in the world and accidental murder happens quite often.

I think the proper term is "Manslaughter" but I knew what the OP meant.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#33New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 22:44:08
@cammie Said

Then what about Australia. We were colonised by the British. The natives were shot and their lands taken, yet WE arent a gun loving culture..*shrugs*

Still very, very different. In Australia, one foreign power pretty much just showed up and assumed control. Australia is also currently sparsely settled compared to North America, and the indigenous population was much smaller and put up very little resistance.

Compare to the US, where the land was fought over by many countries, and the native population was far greater and put up significant military resistance for 200 years. Everything about the North American continent was very hostile to colonial forces.
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#34New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 22:49:39
@jonnythan Said

Still very, very different. In Australia, one foreign power pretty much just showed up and assumed control. Australia is also currently sparsely settled compared to North America, and the indigenous population was much smaller and put up very little resistance.

Compare to the US, where the land was fought over by many countries, and the native population was far greater and put up significant military resistance for 200 years. Everything about the North American continent was very hostile to colonial forces.

OK. I can see that. Also, we were a penal colony and as such "colonised" relatively quickly.
Electric_Banana On about 10 hours ago

, New Zealand
#35New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 22:52:46
I think everyone just needs to admit that after the first twenty plus years of life all anyone wants is something to shoot at.
restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#36New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 23:19:31
@jonnythan Said

To add to this think of it this way
DNA
We are by birth the risk takers the early people came over here took a great risk.Try sailing in a boat for 1 or 2 months
The good hunters lived the bad died so their dna was mostly lost.

The people who were good shots lived.Every inch of this country was a fight to get from someone nothing came free to them.

DNA
vekta On November 18, 2013

#37New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 23:23:09
A lot of the shootings take place in areas that are suppose to be "gun free" or have every restrictions placed on them to prevent this. It doesn't work. Both Oakland and San Fransisco have heavier restrictions one handguns than where I live. But as more regulations have been slapped on people like me who obey the law anyways that gun violence has started to creep over to where I live and as the restrictions get tighter and tighter on me and my law-abiding neighbors more and more of it creeps over here.

Thanks Captian Gun Control...you're my heeeeeero *insert massive sarcasm here*
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#38New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 23:57:23
Yeah when a criminal with a gun sees a "gun free" sign, he doesn't think "oh s*** I better go home."

He just thinks "nice, no one will shoot back."
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#39New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 00:36:08
@fitzyp Said

The US's intentional homicide rate is between 3 and 8 times higher than that found in other Western Nations. Why does America have such a high homicide rate when compared to other Western Nations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_rate

The homicide rate in North America (4.7 per 100,000) is only slightly higher than the 3.5 of Europe (2010 figures).

The highest rates of murder are in Northern Mexico and the Southern U.S. states where the Mexican drug cartels smuggle their goods across the borders.

Individually:
Mexico - 18 per 100,000
United States - 4.8
Canada - 1.62
drman321 On December 28, 2013

, Florida
#40New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 00:47:03
@jonnythan Said

Yeah when a criminal with a gun sees a "gun free" sign, he doesn't think "oh s*** I better go home."

He just thinks "nice, no one will shoot back."

Around us the police have started asking people to take NRA stickers out of their windows and to stop advertising that they have guns. The criminals have started targeting the people with guns.

, Florida
#41New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 00:48:08
@fitzyp Said

The US's intentional homicide rate is between 3 and 8 times higher than that found in other Western Nations. Why does America have such a high homicide rate when compared to other Western Nations?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide_rate

You're not going to like the answer, but, jonnythan is more right than anyone else on here. It is because we can. It is because murder and violence are integral parts of what makes Americans American.
cammie On May 04, 2013

Deleted

, Australia
#42New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 00:54:39
@drman321 Said

You're not going to like the answer, but, jonnythan is more right than anyone else on here. It is because we can. It is because murder and violence are integral parts of what makes Americans American.

Really? Congratulations, you must be so proud.
Pcptrvanion On November 10, 2014

Howe, Texas
#43New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 00:59:34
@drman321 Said

I disagree.
In most of the United States the murder rate is no higher than Europe.
The American murder rate is only high along the Mexican border and that has more to do with Mexican drug runners than an American thirst for violence.

, Florida
#44New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 01:00:11
@Pcptrvanion Said

I disagree.
In most of the United States the murder rate is no higher than Europe.
The American murder rate is only high along the Mexican border and that has more to do with Mexican drug runners than an American thirst for violence.

Do you have stats for that?

, Florida
#45New Post! Dec 17, 2011 @ 01:01:52
@cammie Said

Really? Congratulations, you must be so proud.

I don't know that I would say proud. But honestly, we have a very violent culture. We have numerous recreational activities that involve guns. Our media revolves around guns. The biggest movies are usually very violent, same with the biggest video game releases. Americans are a violent people. That is just the long and short of it. I don't think there is any particularly deep seated hidden issue behind it, it is just who we are.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs