Politics

America's Homicide Rate

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#16New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:32:09
@galasTAray Said

You know it's against the law to murder someone? That's limiting your freedom. YOU SHOULD HAVE THE FREEDOM TO MURDER ANYONE YOU WANT, gosh darn IT!

Leave it to a liberal to take it to the farthest extreme possible.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#17New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:34:46
Leave it to a liberal to take it to the most extreme possible.
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#18New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:35:41
WTF?
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#19New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:36:25
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#20New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:38:05
@galasTAray Said

You know it's against the law to murder someone? That's limiting your freedom. YOU SHOULD HAVE THE FREEDOM TO MURDER ANYONE YOU WANT, gosh darn IT!

"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people that all my guns combined"
-Ted Nugent
hoppy On August 27, 2013

#21New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:40:20
@HiImDan Said

"Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people that all my guns combined"
-Ted Nugent

And Ted Kennedy had more freedom than we do. He got away with it.
HiImDan On February 29, 2024

Cleveland, the boil on the but
#22New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 17:41:03
@hoppy Said

And Ted Kennedy had more freedom than we do. He got away with it.

Sad but true
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 18:38:45
@Forumless Said

Intentional? What in the world does that mean?

i'd imagine it refers to the homicides where the killer actually intended to kill, as opposed to the onees where their was doubt or the killing was due to a self defence or fight gone bad
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#24New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 18:39:50
Here's something I wrote once upon a time on the topic:

There is an obvious reason behind our gun culture: guns already existed when America was colonized. Modern men – men with guns – landed on a basically virgin forest and plains continent already interspersed with some relatively primitive native peoples.

So America’s history is a history of violence in various forms. Violence against nature and violence against other people. As the colonists “tamed the land” as it were, it was done with guns. Guns to shoot animals, guns to kill the natives and take their land, guns to defend yourself in the relatively lawless expanses of land, guns to drive out and defeat the British and the French and the Spanish.

Guns have always been a part of America. Since the very first days. Guns have been absolutely integral to the formation of this country.

In contrast, most European nations (in particular the UK, which is commonly used as a point of contrast) were rather completely settled, with land ownership and laws already well sorted out, by the time the gun was even invented. In these areas, guns were basically introduced as a tool and sport for the wealthy and privileged – people who actively worked to keep weapons out of the hands of their subjects.

It’s a rather significant difference, and that difference is lost on a lot of people who never stop to think about it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#25New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 18:44:36
@offbeat Said

i'd imagine it refers to the homicides where the killer actually intended to kill, as opposed to the onees where their was doubt or the killing was due to a self defence or fight gone bad

Homicide is by definition intentional.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#26New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 18:47:36
@jonnythan Said

Here's something I wrote once upon a time on the topic:

There is an obvious reason behind our gun culture: guns already existed when America was colonized. Modern men – men with guns – landed on a basically virgin forest and plains continent already interspersed with some relatively primitive native peoples.

So America’s history is a history of violence in various forms. Violence against nature and violence against other people. As the colonists “tamed the land” as it were, it was done with guns. Guns to shoot animals, guns to kill the natives and take their land, guns to defend yourself in the relatively lawless expanses of land, guns to drive out and defeat the British and the French and the Spanish.

Guns have always been a part of America. Since the very first days. Guns have been absolutely integral to the formation of this country.

In contrast, most European nations (in particular the UK, which is commonly used as a point of contrast) were rather completely settled, with land ownership and laws already well sorted out, by the time the gun was even invented. In these areas, guns were basically introduced as a tool and sport for the wealthy and privileged – people who actively worked to keep weapons out of the hands of their subjects.

It’s a rather significant difference, and that difference is lost on a lot of people who never stop to think about it.

What about the Canadians though?.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#27New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 18:50:12
@Wellard Said

What about them? Very different history, much more ethnically homogenous, much lower population density, less economic disparity, etc.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#28New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 19:27:44
@Wellard Said

I don't need a gun, I have a hockey stick.

I see Jonnythan forgot charming out of the description for Canadians. We are charming Wellard, no one would hurt me.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#29New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 19:30:29
As long as the person is mentally stable to have gun, knows how to use it, has the proper permit and stores it properly, I could care less how many guns they have.

As far as America goes, I feel it necessary to point out, random acts of stranger on stranger violence is actually pretty rare.

I would think its a safe bet to say that states or areas that have a lot of gangs, drugs etc would be the areas that have the most violence with guns.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#30New Post! Dec 16, 2011 @ 19:34:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

As long as the person is mentally stable to have gun, knows how to use it, has the proper permit and stores it properly, I could care less how many guns they have.

As far as America goes, I feel it necessary to point out, random acts of stranger on stranger violence is actually pretty rare.

I would think its a safe bet to say that states or areas that have a lot of gangs, drugs etc would be the areas that have the most violence with guns.

Indeed. Crime and organized crime activity come with big cities and poverty. As a result, the places with the most gun violence tend to be the ones with the highest concentrations of poor people, especially disenfranchised poor minorities.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs