Allergic reaction to Purex laundry detergent

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
bluedolphins219 On October 08, 2008

Deleted

, Antarctica
#1New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 00:06:31
A family member has broken out in hives, and I'm pretty sure it is because of the detergent we recently switched to. Except, the detergent (Purex) is all-natural. Has anybody else had similar experiences?
Thank you,
bLuEdOlPhInS219
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#2New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 00:12:39
Some detergents cause me to break out. I also have to be careful with soaps. And there is no such thing as Bounce Fabric Softener in my house! I break out in hives on every inch of my body that is touched by anything that has been dried with a Bounce dryer sheet
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#3New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 00:36:52
Tide does that to my brother.... So it's possible!! Hope they're ok!
lisajones On December 31, 2009

Woodbridge, Virginia
#4New Post! Oct 04, 2008 @ 00:48:08
I don't know why, but you can wind up being allergic to anything. Maybe it's a single ingredient or the combination of 2 ingredients? Hope they are feeling better.
selb2000 On November 20, 2008

Carneys Point, New Jersey
#5New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 16:41:23
All natural doesnt always mean that. These companies use preservatives that are harmful to us and the environment. Ww had a problem with purex over a year ago. Both of my kids broke out terribly. I found an alternative and actually get it wholesale through a membership. I get 192 loads out of a 96oz bottle and the soap is safe for use and the environment. I like it a lot.

A note on bounty dryer sheets, have you ever read the box? Directions say to put in dryer with clothes. But look over the box carefully there is a warning that states do not allow sheet to come into contact with fabric. Now how does that work? The chemicals in the sheet effect the flamibility of the fabric, makes it burn easier. There is an alternative for this as well.

Good Luck and God Bless
debdz On June 04, 2010

Denver,
#6New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 11:53:02
I have never had a reaction to laundry detergent but after a long and painful process of elimination , and a rash matching the size & shape of my clothing which was caused by Ultra Purex Mountain Breeze. I believe the fragrance residue is too high which caused a rash to appear where ever fabric washed in this product contacted my skin. The rash is red, raised, and painful- like a chemical burn. In my opinion this product should be recalled.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 11:55:31
I have sensitive skin. I use the free and clear All and haven't itched since.
Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:11:04
@Wingsy Said

Some detergents cause me to break out. I also have to be careful with soaps. And there is no such thing as Bounce Fabric Softener in my house! I break out in hives on every inch of my body that is touched by anything that has been dried with a Bounce dryer sheet

I have never heard of anyone else having a soap allery, I cant go near the stuff, I break out in hive and end up sitting there for 30 mins just trying to scratch my skin off
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:13:08
@Karma_Junkie Said

I have never heard of anyone else having a soap allery, I cant go near the stuff, I break out in hive and end up sitting there for 30 mins just trying to scratch my skin off

it's actually quite common.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:13:50
I worked with a lady who was allergic to soap and water. She had to cover herself in emolient before she could shower.
Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:18:57
@plebian_angel Said

it's actually quite common.

I didnt have any allergies or hay fever until I hit my 30's they they all just descended on me on mass I cant go near soap, or lanolin, I'm so sensitive to it, if my partner washes his hands with soap and touches my skin I react within minutes I have tons of other allergies, fur would you believe, after what we were taking about grass, house dust, yeast, you name it and I'll react to it, but its only ever one eye that gets runny I'm a strange creature
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#12New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:19:37
@Karma_Junkie Said

I didnt have any allergies or hay fever until I hit my 30's they they all just descended on me on mass I cant go near soap, or lanolin, I'm so sensitive to it, if my partner washes his hands with soap and touches my skin I react within minutes I have tons of other allergies, fur would you believe, after what we were taking about grass, house dust, yeast, you name it and I'll react to it, but its only ever one eye that gets runny I'm a strange creature

Wow. That can't be fun at all though
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#13New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:45:58
@Karma_Junkie Said

Like Plebs said, it's really quite common.

I don't know if I'm allergic to the dye or the scent, so I just use unscented, hypoallergenic stuff to avoid both problems. My doctor and I talked about it. She said that she COULD send me for allergy testing, but I've already found a solution to the problem so allergy testing seems sort of silly in the long run. If the hypoallergenic, unscented stuff starts causing me problems, then we'll do the allergy testing to find out what's causing the hives, but unless that happens, I'm happy to just keep doing what I'm doing
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#14New Post! Jun 04, 2010 @ 12:56:20
Both my husband and son have Eczema and we can use only CHEER or Purex laundry soap. Plus, I find, smells of Tide and other big name brands are SO STRONG. Now they have Febreze added to it??? WTH?!

I, as a baby, had a reaction to Ivory Baby laundry soap, go figure.
barmaid On August 23, 2010

Vernon, Canada
#15New Post! Aug 23, 2010 @ 03:55:54
I just came home from the hospital , due to an allergic reaction to the purex 3 in 1 sheets.. I have used them before and had a few skin irritations.. nothing to be alarmed about , but this afternoon did some laundry and transfered the clothes from the washer to dryer and then went on the computer and about 10 to maybe 15 mins later I started having prickly itchy hot skin on my neck and hands and in about 3 mins I was covered in the hottest redest burning itchy skin .. I started to feel my lips start to swell , I yelled at my husband to call 911 and he said I will drive you to the dr.. I said call 911 now.. he did and they came and took me to the hospital.. my blood pressure was 140/30 it was strange.. Very scary.. I will never use that product again.. has anyone else had that same thing happen to them ?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs