Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 · >>
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#106New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 10:19:31
@DiscordTiger Said

We argue us politics so much I forget your in Australia sometimes. Yes Australia is close to 1% today

Last time I ran the us numbers. (And death rates change daily) it was closer to 10% and that was not counting any outcomes since the spikes from Memorial Day.

The US as a whole is not healthy compared to Australians.

We have more underlying conditions, get less “regular” preventive healthcare, and eat more — both in amount and processed crap. It’s literally cheaper to buy cheap processed carbs rather than fresh fruits or veggies. Assuming, you have access to even buy the stuff.

s*** you guys take for granted are daily concerns over here if you are not in the higher economic classes. Sure some people piss their money away with bad choices, but there are legit situations where you can work two jobs and still not be able to provide for a family. People in those situations do the best they can, and sometimes that means the dollar menu at McDonald’s cause everyone can eat on 8$. Maybe you could make a cheep home cooked meal assuming you have time to cook. 8 hr one job, 8 hrs another, which is more like 9 hours each. Most places you don’t get paid lunch. So you got 6 hours to sleep and cook clean a day. Even if the second job is part time. That’s sill only 8-10 hours a day considering travel times and such.

“Little” things like living wages, healthcare, sick leave, etc make a huge difference when s*** hits the fan. Coronavirus pretty much exposed all our flaws.

Things are definitely different then. A lot of people say it is too expensive to eat healthy here, yet I can eat for a week on what a lot of families spend on one meal of takeaway food, simply because I eat healthy.

When I lived up north and was teaching there it was absurdly hot (it is as close to tropical as we get), and my food bill for a week was less than $30 because I basically lived on raw fruits and vegetables bought from a local market, with meat bought from a local butcher when it was on special (a lot of weeks I think my food bill was under $20). Admittedly I lived in an area where a lot of the food was grown, but even in southern states where less fruit is grown you can still get it cheap if you go to local markets rather than the major grocery retailers.

Why is fresh fruit and vegetables so expensive there? I knew you guys had a lot of cheap, bad junk food, but not that fresh food was expensive.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#107New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 11:21:00
@Jennifer1984 Said

I think that's the most sensible thing you've ever said.

Oh, and welcome back, Bob. Where have you been hiding for the last couple of weeks....? I was beginning to think we'd scared you off.

@dookie Said

Yes, others can drag me down. At the moment its virtually EVERYONE. It started with the Brexit vote, then Trump, then Boris Johnson.......

Considering the conversations we have had recently, this video that has just been released seems relevant. It only goes for 12 minutes.

b****ute video

I honestly am interested in what you make of it - and if you believe he is a Nazi or something similar, read the comment section. The white nationalist types objectively hate him for, of all things, being blatantly anti-ethnonationalist, and even worse, an actual friend of Jews.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#108New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 15:45:56
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Things are definitely different then. A lot of people say it is too expensive to eat healthy here, yet I can eat for a week on what a lot of families spend on one meal of takeaway food, simply because I eat healthy.

When I lived up north and was teaching there it was absurdly hot (it is as close to tropical as we get), and my food bill for a week was less than $30 because I basically lived on raw fruits and vegetables bought from a local market, with meat bought from a local butcher when it was on special (a lot of weeks I think my food bill was under $20). Admittedly I lived in an area where a lot of the food was grown, but even in southern states where less fruit is grown you can still get it cheap if you go to local markets rather than the major grocery retailers.

Why is fresh fruit and vegetables so expensive there? I knew you guys had a lot of cheap, bad junk food, but not that fresh food was expensive.

That’s also a huge fundamental systemic problem. We have a lot of food deserts. In that there is no where to buy fresh food. It’s all processed shelf stable stuff. You need a car to get to a market that sells it. Farmers markets have limited hours usually when most people are working and depending on how close the market is to the farm, depends on how “cheap” it is. My local farmers market is actually in the next village over, oven for 3 hours every Sunday morning. I’ve paid $5 for a gallon bag of spinach or kale.
Hmm. Now I’m certain non of that translates well to Australian. Damn the us and our stubbornness on measures

16oz of baby spinach is also $5 at Walmart. I just like supporting the farmer and his family and his spinach tastes better. It’s the one thing I miss with the rona going around. It’s harder to get fresh stuff. Though I did start growing my own.
I have access to a farm/rancher co op that delivers once a week. It’s certainly not cheap though. Easily average $60 a week in my box. Which is usually half gallon whole milk, 1 lb hamburger meat or chicken breast, 8-16oz of cheese, 2-4 fruit options (like pint of strawberry, blueberries, 10 apricots or other stone fruit.) more salad fixings. 5-6 small cucumbers, 20-25 grape tomatoes, a bulb of fennel, mixed greens, Brussels sprouts. And some root stuff. Beet, radishes, ginger carrots, onion, garlic etc Sometimes I get bacon, or other “specials” but thats the base.

I could feed my husband and I cheaper with dollar menus fast
Food. Or processed stuff like hamburger helper, Mac and cheese (and not get the grass fed well-treated beef) ramen noodles etc. beans and rice are cheap too. I happen to gain weight eating them and the husband doesn’t like beans. So it’s not the best healthy choice.

Fish is also incredibly pricey, as im no where near water. So everything is flash frozen and flown in. That raises prices too.

We do ok, but I know it’s a struggle for many. The less enconomically stable you are the more expensive it is to even get things. But we have a strong “do it yourself” mentality. With not a lot of community support
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#109New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 16:31:54
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Considering the conversations we have had recently, this video that has just been released seems relevant. It only goes for 12 minutes.

b****ute video

I honestly am interested in what you make of it - and if you believe he is a Nazi or something similar, read the comment section. The white nationalist types objectively hate him for, of all things, being blatantly anti-ethnonationalist, and even worse, an actual friend of Jews.

I'm really not interested in making anything of it.

Sorry. At risk of "feigning wisdom" I'm more into what, if anything, can be found beneath the various "types" that are in constant judgement of each other.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#110New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 01:12:35
Yes and I would like to chime in as well. I think that all black lives are important and that all blue lives matter all regular lives matter and all formsite members lives matter. And Marxism is evil. And tearing down statues doesn't resolve anything and is dumb and it's something that Isis would do
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#111New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 01:31:05
@gakINGKONG Said

Yes and I would like to chime in as well. I think that all black lives are important and that all blue lives matter all regular lives matter and all formsite members lives matter. And Marxism is evil. And tearing down statues doesn't resolve anything and is dumb and it's something that Isis would do

You believe all black lives matter? That means you'r racist, because only some black lives matter, and it isn't even their lives that matter, it is their deaths that BLM care about. And as we all know by now, any disagreement with their racial hate is racist because feefees... or something.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#112New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 01:31:38
This is funny and very inciteful (and insightful).

dihctatr On November 06, 2020

Upland, California
#113New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 06:31:05
y'all cowering in a corner blessing looters you cowards

Upland, California
#114New Post! Jul 23, 2020 @ 06:31:49
your fears become reality though
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#115New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 00:43:29
I con't need to say anything on this one - the title says it all. Although she does also speak of Biden trying to rewrite history by saying all those blatantly racist Democrat Presidents were not racist at all.

Upland, California
#116New Post! Jul 25, 2020 @ 02:45:33
you waited 40 years too many to start luvving blacks\u faaake

Upland, California
#117New Post! Jul 28, 2020 @ 06:34:36
protesters made not 1 dent in polees power\
90 days yelling and they still don't comprehend\
you doomd
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#118New Post! Jul 28, 2020 @ 17:04:47
@DiscordTiger Said

The less enconomically stable you are the more expensive it is to even get things. But we have a strong “do it yourself” mentality. With not a lot of community support

Ain't that the truth!??

It is very expensive to be poor in America...

Upland, California
#119New Post! Jul 29, 2020 @ 00:33:59
@JuanSmith Said

Ain't that the truth!??

What's your point?
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#120New Post! Jul 29, 2020 @ 00:47:05
@JuanSmith Said

Ain't that the truth!??

Saw that with a co-worker years back. Rough times, bad credit, the only way he could get a car loan was at about a 19% APR!?!?? WTF -
(though he wasn't the sharpest crayon in the box)

that was when 6 or 7 was average for used cars ...with good credit.

It seems like once you fall below a certain level, everything just starts to work against you.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs