Alcohol and our culture..

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#1New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 05:35:55
I am interested in peoples experience with alcohol..

I was doing some reading and found this

Quote:
?There is enormous cross-cultural variation in the way people behave when they drink. In some societies (such as the UK, Scandinavia, US and Australia), alcohol is associated with violent and anti-social behaviour, while in others (such as Mediterranean and some South American cultures) drinking behaviour is largely peaceful and harmonious.

Quote:
?The prevalence of alcohol-related problems is not directly related to average per capita consumption: countries with low average consumption (such as Ireland and Iceland) often register relatively high rates of alcohol-related social and psychiatric problems, while countries with much higher levels of consumption (such as France and Italy) score low on most indices of problem drinking.

https://www.sirc.org/publik/drinking3.html

So they seem to be suggesting that a build up of tolerance levels means that people of some cultures will have little or no bad side effects, while others will have increased bad effects as a result of drinking too much.

I'd like to hear where you are from and how you usually behave when you are drunk.
Are you a loving drunk or do you become 'punch' happy?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 05:50:12
I'm from the UK and I'm usually the happy/mellow drunk or the one that looks after everyone else when they drink too much and get emotional/puke. Not the most glamourous way of spending house parties but at least people are ok.

I've only ever been the messy, emotional, violent drunk once, and that was being violent to nobody else but myself. I'm still trying to forget that night.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 06:40:16
The English binge culture is often blamed on the times pubs are open. With restricted hours people wanted to drink as much before closing time. Getting drunk, or 'plastered' was seen as a rite of passage as soon as one got to legal drinking age. Now with subsitised 'loss leaders' from supermarkets and 'alco-pops' that taste like non alcoholic drinks plus liberation of women to be as OK to be seen 'legg less' in public [so mem don't have that monopoly now; all this adds to less inhibitions and more work for emmergency services + at A&E. [Accident and Emmergency hospital department (added for interpretation)]. So the English binge culture just grows [like bugs in an agar dish].
sue2 On August 15, 2011

Deleted

cornwall, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 07:19:12
@curiouskat Said

So they seem to be suggesting that a build up of tolerance levels means that people of some cultures will have little or no bad side effects, while others will have increased bad effects as a result of drinking too much.

I'd like to hear where you are from and how you usually behave when you are drunk.

I enjoy a drink, havn't got drunk for a lot of years but when I did once or twice back in my teens it didn't make me violent just stupid

I don't quite know what the answer is to Britains problems regarding the bad effects of alcohol. We see the violence on Friday & Sat nights. Many ( not all )just going out to get totally plastered and cause trouble. Some say alcohol is too cheap, some blame the longer licensing hours. Changing this I don't think will solve the real problems.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 07:26:40
I think it's all down to the quality of life that those in the UK have. There was a report published yesterday saying that young people in Britain are the most likely binge drinkers in all of Europe, even though alcohol is dealt with more strictly than in most other parts of Europe, which suggests it may not be to do with licensing laws as such.

Here's the story about it:
BBCNews

We may have a high Standard of Living in this country but there must be other factors at play to make so many young people feel the need to get so drunk they can't remember who they are. Whether it's the intense amount of exams, social pressures or family issues I don't know, but I don't think it's right to soley blame young people for binge drinking anyway.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#6New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 07:29:08
I think it has more to do with the environment in which people drink. Drinking in a loud pub full of people who don't know each other and who may or may not be in a jovial mood will definitely contribute to unsavory behavior. Whereas, drinking in a close knit environment such a family or group of friends sharing a drink after dinner, like in most European communities, doesn't usually result in binging or belligerent behavior.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 07:35:30
2007 saw the start of the death of the pub. Going to the pub will become a thing of the past.

More and more people are drinking at home which means they are drinking more than they would at a pub because they are giving themselves home measures.

I think after a while people will soon get sick or bored of this. Tolerance levels do rise which makes it expensive to get pissed.

I think alcohol sales will drop in the UK over the next 10 years.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#8New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 08:12:39
@treebee Said

2007 saw the start of the death of the pub. Going to the pub will become a thing of the past.

More and more people are drinking at home which means they are drinking more than they would at a pub because they are giving themselves home measures.

I think after a while people will soon get sick or bored of this. Tolerance levels do rise which makes it expensive to get pissed.

I think alcohol sales will drop in the UK over the next 10 years.

Yep, we are seeing the same kind of changes here.

Only here, people are turning away from alcohol and pubs only to replace them with pills and raves..

I dont know if thats better or worse, i guess we will have to wait and see..
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#9New Post! Sep 02, 2009 @ 09:24:32
I have been sober now for 10 years ,but I never had a drinking problem .
I would drink. get drunk , fall down , No problem .
It depend ed on what my poison of choice was for the day or night . Or what if any plans were. just drinking , or going dancning . I can only remember becoming destructive twice while drinking , once was when my dad passed and few months later my real mother turned up , and once when my ole man screwed up big time and I caught him with 'his hand in the cookie jar' so to speak.I first time I beat the rocks almost to death with my face when ever I'd trip and fall . When I woke up that next morning had both wrists broken and my nose was broken and them rock was really really in bad shape
And the second time , well lets just leave it at this ,the ole man has a real fear of strange 'cookie jars' now.
MomoBot On March 11, 2010

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 07, 2009 @ 21:53:36
Down south, there are no drinking ages and such tosh. Kids learn to drink (wine and beer) at their parents' table. Drinking is very social, either at home or out, and always accompanies food. Getting mellow is required, but blind drunk isn't acceptable. No lure of the forbidden, no rolling in the streets drunk at midday.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#11New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 22:21:56
@MomoBot Said

Down south, there are no drinking ages and such tosh. Kids learn to drink (wine and beer) at their parents' table. Drinking is very social, either at home or out, and always accompanies food. Getting mellow is required, but blind drunk isn't acceptable No lure of the forbidden, no rolling in the streets drunk at midday.

LMAO

'Down south',down south where?...in Saudi Arabia.What a load of bulls***.
Tanglewire On March 31, 2013

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 22:38:24
@curiouskat Said

I'm an Englishman and personally have a very liberal attitude in terms of alcohol. I get lively then tired, never violent. I find my Chinese friends have a low tolerance and get drunk very quickly, but not punch drunk, sort of wayward and loud.
MomoBot On March 11, 2010

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 11, 2010 @ 11:50:06
@Wellard Said

LMAO

'Down south',down south where?...in Saudi Arabia.What a load of bulls***.

No, in the Mediterranean. You know, where people are civilised.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Mar 11, 2010 @ 13:43:34
The worst I've ever done when I'm drunk is dance badly. I don't understand the people who get violent.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#15New Post! Mar 11, 2010 @ 14:03:00
@MomoBot Said

No, in the Mediterranean. You know, where people are civilised.

Agreed.

My apologies I shouldnt of jumped to conclusions even if your location is stated as UK.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs