Pages: << · 1 2 3
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#31New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:20:49
Wow I didn't know about that.

https://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

It seems that it's not necessarily illegal, but the FEC has an "advisory opinion" not to spend campaign dollars on "personal use."

$150,000 on clothing and makeup, just for Palin! Oh, and her family.

$150,000. While Palin berates some AIG executives for going on a $70,000 business junket.

Yeah, let's vote for McCain and Palin. Mavericks who defy the law and ignore ethics. "Poor judgment" and "abuse of power." Yeesh.
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#32New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:20:58
To draw a parallel to the corporate world -

It's not illegal for me to fudge my expense claims to cover travel expenses for my wife and children if they travel with me.

It's not illegal for me to use my position to pressure managers below me to dismiss staff.

However, they are unethical, and if my employer discovered that I had done these things (and I stress this is purely hypothetical, I have not), they would be well within their rights to fire me. It is an abuse of my position.

Palin has been discovered to have done both things above. Perhaps not illegal, but most certainly unethical and deserving of condemnation.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#33New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:20:58
@LedZap Said

So what ,maybe you think it's wrong , but is it against the law?

Does it matter?
LedZap On January 28, 2010

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#34New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:24:39
I think it does.And if she didn't break the law ,it shouldn't be such a big deal ,right?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#35New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:30:52
@LedZap Said

I think it does.And if she didn't break the law ,it shouldn't be such a big deal ,right?

It's not a big deal if I cheat on my girlfriend, right? It's legal.

It's not a big deal if I charge my kids' hotel rooms and flights to my corporate card, right? It's legal.

It's not a big deal to sleep on the job and then demand a promotion for it, right? It's legal.

It's not a big deal if I hand over company secrets to Chinese competitors, right? It's legal.

It's not a big deal if I amend expense reports to lie about why my kids traveled around the country with me on my corporate card, right? It's legal.

Unethical acts are not all illegal. The fact that something is not legal (and we're not even sure if what she did was legal or not) does not make it right. Something doesn't need to be a crime for it to be a "big deal."

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#36New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:42:14
I think you are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.Just give it a few days and we will all find out about all the other politicians that travel with their kids ,buy clothing and makeup , and so forth.You know the Rep party will find crap like that everywhere.Like I said before.It's not a big deal.Besides ,your girlfriend isn't going to cheat on you anyway ,right?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#37New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:46:21
@LedZap Said

I think you are blowing the whole thing out of proportion.Just give it a few days and we will all find out about all the other politicians that travel with their kids ,buy clothing and makeup , and so forth.You know the Rep party will find crap like that everywhere.Like I said before.It's not a big deal.Besides ,your girlfriend isn't going to cheat on you anyway ,right?

So it's not a big deal because everyone does that.

Not so maverick then, I suppose. More of the same.

I'll try to remember this thread on election day. I'll PM you to ask you what sort of similar unethical spending the Obama campaign has done.

Oh, I also expect we'll find out about Obama and Biden both getting officially reprimanded for poor judgment or abuse of power. Cause everyone does that.

Right?
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#38New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:46:40
@jonnythan Said

It seems that it's not necessarily illegal, but the FEC has an "advisory opinion" not to spend campaign dollars on "personal use."

$150,000 on clothing and makeup, just for Palin! Oh, and her family.

$150,000. While Palin berates some AIG executives for going on a $70,000 business junket.

Yeah, let's vote for McCain and Palin. Mavericks who defy the law and ignore ethics. "Poor judgment" and "abuse of power." Yeesh.

I wonder what "Joe Six-Pack" and "Joe the Plumber" think of "Sarah the Shopper"

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#39New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 15:47:29
@Lili Said

I wonder what "Joe Six-Pack" and "Joe the Plumber" think of "Sarah the Shopper"

nothingtodo On September 21, 2010

Deleted

#40New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 16:21:49
@jonnythan Said

More to add to Palin's "officially abused her power" resume:

https://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/21/palin.travel.ap/index.html

"In all, Palin has charged the state $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office in December 2006. She also has charged the state for hotel rooms for the girls."

Figure out the break down of what was spent per child per trip.

21012.00 (total cost) divided by 76 (individual trips) = 276.47

276.47 (individual trips) divided 3 (daughters) = 92.15

Unethical for her to do so - sure, but at least she found cheap airfare.

@jonnythan Said

The only thing that matters here is the "advisory OPINION", they chose to ignore the FEC's opinion and let her spent campaign money on clothes.

Money that more than likely would have gone for more negative ads - I would rather not see the damn ads so I am glad money was spent elsewhere.

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#41New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 16:25:59
Yawn
mrscoob On January 21, 2009

Paducah, Kentucky
#42New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 16:28:07
@LedZap Said

Unethical but legal.
It isn't a big deal to me.
Honestly, they live to post nonsense.
It is to meet quotas as to not lose sponsorship, and to stir the s*** for more responses.

@LedZap Said

It isn't a big deal. They just love to claim it is!

@jonnythan Said

So it's not a big deal because everyone does that.

Not so maverick then, I suppose. More of the same.

I'll try to remember this thread on election day. I'll PM you to ask you what sort of similar unethical spending the Obama campaign has done.

Oh, I also expect we'll find out about Obama and Biden both getting officially reprimanded for poor judgment or abuse of power. Cause everyone does that.

Right?

'Unethical spending Obama has done'. f***ing hilarious!!!!!
ministumblin On January 21, 2009

Deleted

#43New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 16:43:15
@mrscoob Said
It isn't a big deal. They just love to claim it is!

Abusing your power to get a state official dismissed because you want to strengthen your sisters child custody case against him really is a big deal.

I'd rather not have someone in the Whitehouse with a history of using positions of influence to further their personal agendas.

And yes, I'm aware that virtually all politicians are guilty of this at some point or other. That's why in every election since I was old enough to understand the concept, I would have voted 'none of the above'. Both in my home country and here.

I do not believe that the public of any nation is ever presented with a selection of the best qualified candidates for the job.

Deleted

In a nightmare,
#44New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 16:50:16
@jonnythan Said

Oh, I also expect we'll find out about Obama and Biden both getting officially reprimanded for poor judgment or abuse of power.

We'll probably be talking about ACORN then.
allentx On June 11, 2009

Deleted

allen,
#45New Post! Oct 22, 2008 @ 19:06:43
abuse of power is enough for impeachment
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs