The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Music

Alanis Morissette to Update "Ironic" Lyrics After Brexit Causes Wetherspoons Supply Chaos

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 14, 2021 @ 18:18:43
The Canadian singer said the inspiration to change her song lyrics came from the recent news about pro-Brexiteer Tim Martin’s pub chain experiencing beer and delivery driver shortages.

It has been revealed that Wetherspoon’s is one of the latest in a series of companies to experience supply shortages due to a lack of lorry drivers.

Wetherspoon’s founder Tim Martin reportedly spent almost £95,000 on more than two million beer mats and other pro-leave merchandise during the 2016 referendum. In June of this year, the Wetherspoon’s boss then called for the Government to introduce a ‘reasonably liberal immigration system’ to bring over EU workers, as he noticed hospitality businesses were struggling with recruitment.

Many migrant workers are choosing to leave UK and return to homes in the EU as Brexit, the covid pandemic and tax changes are making things more difficult for them.

Morissette said: “For years I have had fans and non-fans alike getting in touch about how my 1996 hit did not actually contain any proper definition or example of irony. After reading up on the UK’s current supply issues and about Tim Martin and Wetherspoon’s – it was like a lightbulb moment.

“Everything suddenly became clear. This is irony!

“I scrambled around my office to find a notepad and pen and just started writing.”

The 47-year-old singer’s UK fans have taken to online forums to discuss her re-writing of the popular track.

Mary Bulger, 35, of Essex said: “I love Alanis Morissette but nothing she sings in that song is technically ironic by definition, but this bloody Tim Martin escapade certainly is. I say fair play to her for changing the words and drawing attention to this pig of a man.

“Not only has Tim Martin thrown 100 grand down the swanny on paraphernalia promoting the very thing that has led to his business’ current complications, but he is not promoting a good message for mankind. To me, it’s like he’s saying he doesn’t mind migrants coming over here – but only when it’s part of a ‘reasonably liberal’ system, where they are driving his beer delivery trucks and lining his pockets with money. The rest of the time they're scroungers who should be sent back where they came from."

“The man has shown he cannot see past the immediate here and now and I believe he got swept up in the furore started by that repugnant human toad Nigel Farage.”
MisterX On August 10, 2022

Saint Petersburg,
#2New Post! Nov 16, 2021 @ 13:44:02

Saint Petersburg,
#3New Post! Nov 16, 2021 @ 13:52:35

Saint Petersburg,
#4New Post! Nov 16, 2021 @ 13:56:01
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply