The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

African American, black, of color, colored???

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#31New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 01:48:09
@dazedapathy Said

hmm.... but American isn't a race... it's a nation. A nation that consists of immigrants.

Good point!
weaksauce On May 28, 2011

DFW, Texas
#32New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:01:48
i think these type of topics are not helpful at all. Sprinkiegirl dont take this at all the wrong way. when a question like this is asked in what ever medium it can amount to nothing good. it leaves open a huge hole for racist remarks. u might want to know what other peoples names are for other or the same race they are but does it really matter? in my opinion it doesnt matter what we call anyone as long as they dont take offense to it. i think that the biggest problem in "racial" conflicts is the fact that we just cant move on. and that is the same on both side of issue. so lets move on. we all are people trying in life. we all put our pants on the same way. one leg at a time.
inZane On April 12, 2009

#33New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:11:08
For me t depends on the situation. My friend Kim was telling me the other day that he prefers to be called black instead of African American.
He said:
"Black people are called 'african american' and I don't get it. No one calls white people 'irish/german/ect. american'."

To me, it depends on the situation. Most of the time I say black. Just like I prefer "white" not "caucasian".
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#34New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:12:51
I haven't read the thread, but the people here tell me that Black is the politically correct name!!!

But question?? Why do they call people White??? When I hold a piece of white paper or Kleenex next to my skin, I'm far from the color White!!
dazedapathy On April 21, 2009

New York city, New York
#35New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:17:24
IT doesn't really matter what people call one. As long as they don't intend to offend or insult someone. Like the word "b****" it's not supposed to be derogative. It's a female dog for pete's sake. But it evolved into something else.

Also I think stinabloom is pertaining to blacks in America... so maybe "African- American" is more accurate.? I don't know.

Chicago, Illinois
#36New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:45:50
@weaksauce Said

i think these type of topics are not helpful at all. Sprinkiegirl dont take this at all the wrong way. when a question like this is asked in what ever medium it can amount to nothing good. it leaves open a huge hole for racist remarks. u might want to know what other peoples names are for other or the same race they are but does it really matter? in my opinion it doesnt matter what we call anyone as long as they dont take offense to it. i think that the biggest problem in "racial" conflicts is the fact that we just cant move on. and that is the same on both side of issue. so lets move on. we all are people trying in life. we all put our pants on the same way. one leg at a time.

No problem...I get what you are saying!!

Chicago, Illinois
#37New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 02:48:09
@dazedapathy Said

IT doesn't really matter what people call one. As long as they don't intend to offend or insult someone. Like the word "b****" it's not supposed to be derogative. It's a female dog for pete's sake. But it evolved into something else.

Also I think stinabloom is pertaining to blacks in America... so maybe "African- American" is more accurate.? I don't know.

Being an American and half black myself.....I believe most blacks in this country prefer to just be called black....or better still...by their birth-name...whatever that maybe!!

New York city, New York
#38New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 03:15:09
@Spinkiegirl Said

Being an American and half black myself.....I believe most blacks in this country prefer to just be called black....or better still...by their birth-name...whatever that maybe!!

Haha...
African- American is rather too formal. I'm not one myself but um... Black is Gooood.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#39New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 05:56:27
I have not had much experience with black people. I have had considerable experience with Native north americans. Like Spinkiegirl, I found using the birth name to be the most respectful.

Chicago, Illinois
#40New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 06:47:41
@kentoo Said

I have not had much experience with black people. I have had considerable experience with Native north americans. Like Spinkiegirl, I found using the birth name to be the most respectful.

Kudos.....!!!
stinabloom On January 22, 2009

Lund, Sweden
#41New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 11:33:29
@crazylikeafox Said

I think Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian are fine. I don't really like the Blank-American for 2 reasons. 1st, it makes it sound like you're a Blank 1st and an American 2nd (if that's too confusing, it makes it sound like an African-American is African 1st and American 2nd). 2nd, it leaves out those of us like me who are something like 1/4 German with English, Irish, Dutch, Swiss, posibly Jewish (that's what my last name is, anyways), and probably other races I can't think of. How would you posibly categorize that? The only exception I would make are Native Americans, because saying Indian or Indian-American could mean either a Native person or someone who's family came from India, which could get a little confusing.

Good points. This is probably the essence of being American. I suppose it all comes down to how the individual identifies her-/himself. Which becomes evident in all the postings here.

Thank you all for your postings! It's difficult for me to write about these words when I don't know what people actually think about them! You are of great help!
stinabloom On January 22, 2009

Lund, Sweden
#42New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 11:47:53
@crazylikeafox Said

I had a Chinese Prof who started calling it the Far East and then said "well, I guess it's the Far West from our perspective, isn't it?" Before then I never really thought of the fact that the term Far East is from Europe's perspective.

This is so true! Applies to Middle East as well.
Another word for Asia - the Orient, and Oriental for Asian, is as far as I know completely unacceptable due to the main association of the word Orientalism that Edward Said coined (right?) --> Otherism and the Other.
Anyone of a different opinion?

New York city, New York
#43New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 17:14:35
@stinabloom Said

This is so true! Applies to Middle East as well.
Another word for Asia - the Orient, and Oriental for Asian, is as far as I know completely unacceptable due to the main association of the word Orientalism that Edward Said coined (right?) --> Otherism and the Other.
Anyone of a different opinion?

Yea. I am quite familiar with Edward Said's book Orientalism. He criticizes how the Europeans (mostly) and Americans perceive the East and Arabic culture according to their own Western perspective.
But um... Centuries before , the West civilization were extremely ahead compared to other civilization. So I think it is quite natural for them to judge other culture as alien for them. What is unacceptable though is to judge another culture's validity.
MindMaping On December 11, 2008

Deleted

Nottingham, Maryland
#44New Post! Dec 09, 2008 @ 16:46:39
I am an American that happens to be Black

https://www.racecolorandracism.com/
revakasha On December 24, 2008

Washington, District of Columb
#45New Post! Dec 13, 2008 @ 08:08:52
The color of my skin is Brown, I am very mixed racially, I do not prefer African American because for one I was not born there nor were any of my ancestors that I have traced and I have traced since before we became a colony. I will take black because I am half Black.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs