The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

African American, black, of color, colored???

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>
stinabloom On January 22, 2009

Lund, Sweden
#16New Post! Nov 27, 2008 @ 14:26:57
@iwannano Said

I voted 'other' and here's my comment. I have been around Spanish Americans and Mexicans from Mexico all my life, My family are Irish/German ,you mentioned your next deal would be about the 'brown ' skined folks. Unles they are from /citizens of another country we all be Americans. With the exception of the Native Americans , all of our families came here from somewhere else. Where I live there has aways been only 3 colors of skin, Brown , White and a mix of brown and white. I have a real problem with this BS of racism in this 'modern' days , so , by voting 'other' I want to call an American 'American ' .

Hi there! I'm, totally with on this stuff. I stand from an outside perspective and that's of course another side to it.

My main thesis is that there is no right or wrong in this question, but since the authors predominantly use "African American" I'm interested in whether this term is "sensitive" like all other terms seem to be.

Thanks for your input!!

Lund, Sweden
#17New Post! Nov 27, 2008 @ 14:28:26
@charles Said

I know Chinese people who would say that they are the white race and that Europeans are pink or brown.

and why shouldn't they?? we're all more or less egocentric. and the winners write history - are the winners maybe winner-centric?
freefufu On November 28, 2008

Silver Spring, Maryland
#18New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 19:29:48
I am a black(or whatever adjective pleases you) person....lol... and I am always trying to keep up with the words that are supposed to offend me... Does it really matter what you want to call me?

What do you suggest I call white people?
white, uncolored, European, Caucasian or other?

If you have an answer to this question then you have your answer to the previous question.

Lund, Sweden
#19New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 20:46:31
@freefufu Said

I am a black(or whatever adjective pleases you) person....lol... and I am always trying to keep up with the words that are supposed to offend me... Does it really matter what you want to call me?

What do you suggest I call white people?
white, uncolored, European, Caucasian or other?

If you have an answer to this question then you have your answer to the previous question.

Since I call myself Swedish, I would call you American, if that's what you are. However, in a translation I can't really make that choice. I'm simply interested in what connotations you put into the different words. But I'm fully aware of the fact that this subject has been a bit overemphasized and people are tired of being categorized...
moonscar On November 28, 2008

Albany, New York
#20New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 22:10:37
@Kasabian Said

In time all terms will be deemed racist.

why refer to dark skinned people as anything whites don't get the same reference (not as much), maybe thats racist to!

Well it's not really black people who started the whole thing. I notice that when white people title youtube video's that happen to have a black guy in it they say " black guy falls on his face" instead of " guy falls on his face". Though if the video contained a white person of their own race they would title it " Guy falls on his face"
paininmybrain On October 27, 2010

point pleasant,
#21New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 22:13:12
i prefer "Negroe" personally!
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 22:16:15
you black or white?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#23New Post! Nov 28, 2008 @ 23:39:46
I would have to say......most blacks I know.....don't want to be called a "colored person".....i'am half black and half white..born in the USA so...I just like to be called by my name.....it's Spinkiegirl on here!!
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:15:02
so no cutey sexy woman?
dazedapathy On April 21, 2009

New York city, New York
#25New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:42:10
@stinabloom Said

and why shouldn't they?? we're all more or less egocentric. and the winners write history - are the winners maybe winner-centric?

Well, haha. I think Western historians are a bit of ethnocentric. Take this for instance: Why should they pertain Asian countries as the FAR east? Asians on the other hand, unconsciously adopt the concept too... I mean, I know that westerners are the ones who usually writes history, but I think that coining of that phrase is bit of a reflection of ethnocentrism.
When Asian historians write an account of history, I don't think I've ever read them write "FAR West"

In my opinion, I think it's politically more correct and culturally more polite to use the term "African American".
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#26New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:49:17
I think Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian are fine. I don't really like the Blank-American for 2 reasons. 1st, it makes it sound like you're a Blank 1st and an American 2nd (if that's too confusing, it makes it sound like an African-American is African 1st and American 2nd). 2nd, it leaves out those of us like me who are something like 1/4 German with English, Irish, Dutch, Swiss, posibly Jewish (that's what my last name is, anyways), and probably other races I can't think of. How would you posibly categorize that? The only exception I would make are Native Americans, because saying Indian or Indian-American could mean either a Native person or someone who's family came from India, which could get a little confusing.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#27New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:52:27
Quote:
Well, haha. I think Western historians are a bit of ethnocentric. Take this for instance: Why should they pertain Asian countries as the FAR east? Asians on the other hand, unconsciously adopt the concept too... I mean, I know that westerners are the ones who usually writes history, but I think that coining of that phrase is bit of a reflection of ethnocentrism.

I had a Chinese Prof who started calling it the Far East and then said "well, I guess it's the Far West from our perspective, isn't it?" Before then I never really thought of the fact that the term Far East is from Europe's perspective.
dazedapathy On April 21, 2009

New York city, New York
#28New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:55:25
@crazylikeafox Said

I think Black, White, Hispanic, and Asian are fine. I don't really like the Blank-American for 2 reasons. 1st, it makes it sound like you're a Blank 1st and an American 2nd (if that's too confusing, it makes it sound like an African-American is African 1st and American 2nd). 2nd, it leaves out those of us like me who are something like 1/4 German with English, Irish, Dutch, Swiss, posibly Jewish (that's what my last name is, anyways), and probably other races I can't think of. How would you posibly categorize that? The only exception I would make are Native Americans, because saying Indian or Indian-American could mean either a Native person or someone who's family came from India, which could get a little confusing.

hmm.... but American isn't a race... it's a nation. A nation that consists of immigrants.
Skyseeker On November 01, 2009

idk,
#29New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 00:58:22
@Kasabian Said

In time all terms will be deemed racist.

why refer to dark skinned people as anything whites don't get the same reference (not as much), maybe thats racist to!

Thats because we are the majority in America. I have a lot of black friends because I live in a neighborhood where I am the minority.

In my opinion they prefer black, unless their in their own company.

I asked some of my friends if I said "nigga" and if it would be offensive. I didnt get a response lol they were just like wuuuuut?

i wanted to be able to say whats up my nigga? because I do that with my white friends alot lol. They call us white what are you guys talking about?
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#30New Post! Nov 29, 2008 @ 01:47:20
@Skyseeker Said

Thats because we are the majority in America. I have a lot of black friends because I live in a neighborhood where I am the minority.

In my opinion they prefer black, unless their in their own company.

I asked some of my friends if I said "nigga" and if it would be offensive. I didnt get a response lol they were just like wuuuuut?

i wanted to be able to say whats up my nigga? because I do that with my white friends alot lol. They call us white what are you guys talking about?

If I heard you say to your black friends "what's up my nigga?" It wouldn't bother me at all because you seem comfortable with them...and they with you....am I right?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs