News & Current Events

Afghanistan

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 06:19:06
Everyone knew this was going to happen once the US left. The question wasn’t “if”’ but merely “when”. The speed is the only surprising thing here.

The mistake wasn’t pulling out - had to happen at some point. The mistake was holding on to this thing for as long as we did. Osama bin Laden was killed a decade ago, probably left Afghanistan years before that.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#2New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 12:37:42
@Leon Said

Everyone knew this was going to happen once the US left. The question wasn’t “if”’ but merely “when”. The speed is the only surprising thing here.

The mistake wasn’t pulling out - had to happen at some point. The mistake was holding on to this thing for as long as we did. Osama bin Laden was killed a decade ago, probably left Afghanistan years before that.

The dumbest part was putting confidence in our tip-top Pentagon Generals for selling the story that the Afghan troops were highly trained and capable of defending themselves.

Nation-building isn't meant for politicians.

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 13:33:08
@Na Said

The dumbest part was putting confidence in our tip-top Pentagon Generals for selling the story that the Afghan troops were highly trained and capable of defending themselves.

Nation-building isn't meant for politicians.

Oh they were highly trained. It’s just that many of them didn’t have the motivation here.

They are not as into democracy as we are.

Religion does that.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 14:31:35
@Na Said

The dumbest part was going to Afghanistan in the first place, especially after watching the Soviet Union fail in Afghanistan for 9 or 10 years (but hey, we failed longer and better).

The second dumbest part was to getting distracted form the mission in Afghanistan and wasting years in Iraq.

The third dumbest part was to not actually put confidence in our top Pentagon Generals once "we" decided to go to war in Afghanistan (same mistake "we" made in Vietnam).

There fixed that for you.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#5New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 14:32:45
@Leon Said

Everyone knew this was going to happen once the US left.

Literally from day one we knew this.

Afghanistan the graveyard of empires.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#6New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 15:04:45
I agree with GaK:

The dumbest part was going to Afghanistan in the first place, especially after watching the Soviet Union fail in Afghanistan for 9 or 10 years (but hey, we failed longer and better).

The second dumbest part was to getting distracted form the mission in Afghanistan and wasting years in Iraq…. That is wasting years in both countries.

The third dumbest part was to not actually put confidence in our top Pentagon Generals once "we" decided to go to war in Afghanistan (same mistake "we" made in Vietnam).
4d4m On December 23, 2022

4dforum.org,
#7New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 15:57:10
We went to Vietnam and left Vietnam as planned. The Marxists manipulating the country designed the whole event for the US to fail. It helped the Communists in SE Asia and China and damaged US credibility.

We Went to Afghanistan and left Afghanistan as planned. The same Marxists manipulating the country designed the whole event for the US to fail. It helped destroy US credibility in the Middle East and will aid Chinese efforts to gain influence in the region.

To bolster fledgling democracies in the past the US has dedicated troops and bases for decades. South Korea 71 years and counting, Western Europe 76 years and counting, the Philippines from 1898 until 1990
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#8New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 19:17:06
@Leon Said

Oh they were highly trained. It’s just that many of them didn’t have the motivation here.

They are not as into democracy as we are.

Religion does that.

That's an interesting flip of the script. You say because they're religious, they don't care if the Taliban destroys their country.

Don't you mean Muslim? Because they're Muslim, they're okay with the Taliban moving in?

Well, I suppose it's never too late to be anti-Muslim. But that doesn't mean you actually stand for anything.

San Diego, California
#9New Post! Aug 15, 2021 @ 23:04:11
@Na Said

That's an interesting flip of the script. You say because they're religious, they don't care if the Taliban destroys their country.

Don't you mean Muslim? Because they're Muslim, they're okay with the Taliban moving in?

Well, I suppose it's never too late to be anti-Muslim. But that doesn't mean you actually stand for anything.

The Koran, its holy text, and the latter-written derivative teachings of the Hadith, are the primary sources of varying forms of Sharia Law, the religious law consisting of rules by which states and individuals must abide by. The concept of the Islamic ruled state was borne out of Sharia Law and resulted in the establishment of these states primarily in the Middle East. Religion still plays an integral part in the rule of law, its enforcement, punishment, and state recognition of things such as marriage. The goal of the Taliban has always been to establish such a state.

The concept of the separation of church and state, a western view that arose in the 18th century, has largely remained absent among these states for this reason, and is not readily accepted among Muslims living in the area, understandably particularly when it is forced upon them by conquering foreigners. So yes the Muslim religion played a huge part in why, once we left, the Taliban so easily re-established control with so little resistance.

I sense in you taking offense in the generalized use of the word “religion” rather than pinpointed at the Muslim religion. This was intentional. Anyone with any knowledge of history knows that, while of course there are exceptions, multiple religions have been profusely abused by adherents to quell constituencies under non-democratic, often oppressive rule. The Taliban, or Muslim religion, is not, by any stretch of the imagination, unique in this phenomenon. Heck, even here today, most adherents of QAnon, a belief system rooted in Christianity that the majority of polled Republicans at least partly agree with, would prefer a Trump dictatorship over a democratic election that gives control to Democrats. It isn’t by accident as to why the GOP has no qualms about suppressing the vote through their fake fraud claims and reactive legislation at the state level.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 00:51:12
Side note: I’m not sure that the speed of the fall is all that surprising.

If memory serves Siagon fell in one day, and Phnom Penh in 5 days.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#11New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 07:53:25
@Leon Said

Heck, even here today, most adherents of QAnon, a belief system rooted in Christianity that the majority of polled Republicans at least partly agree with, would prefer a Trump dictatorship over a democratic election that gives control to Democrats. It isn’t by accident as to why the GOP has no qualms about suppressing the vote through their fake fraud claims and reactive legislation at the state level.

<<that from the same dood who recently told me how how drastically the Christian numbers are dropping. Which is it a) the rise of QAnon or b) the fall of Christian influence? (Seems like the leftist echo chambers keep dragging that group out. They're the Westboro Baptist Church of the 2020's)

Separation of Powers were built into the US system of government at it's founding--written largely by people who were pious on the main.

Better to pinpoint the poison of religion that doesn't allow for separation of powers which is called Islam for which there is no cure in this world.

Islam is the cancer.

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 08:14:44
@Na Said

<<that from the same dood who recently told me how how drastically the Christian numbers are dropping. Which is it a) the rise of QAnon or b) the fall of Christian influence? (Seems like the leftist echo chambers keep dragging that group out. They're the Westboro Baptist Church of the 2020's)

Separation of Powers were built into the US system of government at it's founding--written largely by people who were pious on the main.

Better to pinpoint the poison of religion that doesn't allow for separation of powers which is called Islam for which there is no cure in this world.

Islam is the cancer.

Christian membership is definitely on the decline. However, its influence in American politics doesn’t mirror this decline due to the GOP’s continued dependence on Christians for their votes and the GOP’s multi pronged approach to voter suppression and minority rule to make up for the rest.

Separation of powers has to do with the three branches of government, so I’m not entirely sure why you brought that in, but I do agree with you that it is usually non-existent in non-democratic regimes such as those under Sharia Law.
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#13New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 11:18:54
@Leon Said

Christian membership is definitely on the decline. However, its influence in American politics doesn’t mirror this decline due to the GOP’s continued dependence on Christians for their votes and the GOP’s multi pronged approach to voter suppression and minority rule to make up for the rest.

Separation of powers has to do with the three branches of government, so I’m not entirely sure why you brought that in, but I do agree with you that it is usually non-existent in non-democratic regimes such as those under Sharia Law.

Turkey is the only example I know of
Na On February 27, 2024

, Florida
#14New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 11:48:14
I'm having difficulty finding first hand resources about QAnon.

Anybody out there who can provide links or even share some of their personal experience with this very important political/religious movement?

Thanks.

San Diego, California
#15New Post! Aug 16, 2021 @ 13:03:46
@Na Said

Turkey is the only example I know of

Example of what?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...9 10 11 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others