Racism

Affirmative Action=Racism?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
rosesforme17 On August 29, 2023

Santa Clara, California
#1New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 01:50:28
In my opinion, affirmative action in itself is a form of racism. I do not know if it is still practiced but I am bringing it up because I was reminded of it by a couple of TV shows.

I believe it to be a form of racism because it essentially tells white people they can not get a job because they need more black people (or which ever race) within the company. That is such an unfair contradiction. That is still a form of discrimination. Only this time the tables are turned. How is that suppose to make things better?

We are being told that discrimination in the work place, against blacks mainly, is wrong. But it's okay to discriminate against white people!?! That makes no sense to me. Why is one form of racism okay but not the other?

Not that I condone racism. Far from it. Racism in any form is wrong. I have just been thinking about it lately and it was bugging me. To me when this law or whatever it is, was passed, all it did was take us back to the times of segregation. We do not need to back track.

Society really needs to learn acceptance and tolerance, not segregation. And all affirmative action is doing is teaching discrimination and segregation.

I don't think this practice is used all that much because of the negative feedback. I just wanted to get that off my chest.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:11:31
Too right Roses!

I worked for Australia Post in Sydney and I saw the majority race, Filopino's(just one example) discriminating against the whites. Throwing food scraps at the whites, urinating and putting faeces on walls and floors, damaging cars of whites, not f***ing working at all which made the mail sorting be placed onto the whites and WE got in trouble for the delayed mail. Policy set by whites.

A Chinese woman always verbally the whites as being stupid, f***ed up white trash, illiterate, scum, etc all while Management was there and never was she punished. They protected her.

I had management asking me where I saw the job advertisement which I applied to. I told them it was in the Sydney Morning Herald. They were angry and I found out later that the job ads were only supposed to be printed in filopino and vietnamese newspapers.

Yet, when I raise this, I get called racist.

This term will piss some people off but here it goes...

They're Blood Traitors!
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#3New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:13:06
I forgot to add, that should you have a job interview or an interview for promotion within any government department, you MUST know the employment strategies for people from non-english speaking background.

Nothing for the english speaking. f*** Em!!!

Santa Clara, California
#4New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:24:04
Damn cobber! Did I get a rise out of you or what?!

Seriously though, I can understand why you are angry. Racism is a very touchy subject, especially for those who have experienced it personally.
kj82 On February 19, 2008

Ambler, Pennsylvania
#5New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:25:11
I have to disagree with your whole arguement, I myself being an african american has a slightly different viewpoint! You say its telling white people that they can't get a job because their not black, it has nothing to do with preventing white people from getting! The whole point of it was to allow qualified blacks to have an equal opportunity in the job market, believe or not before that law was passed many big corporations did not hire minorities, especially black people. You could be the most qualified person in the world and they would not even take a second look at you because your skin was too dark! Call me a liar if you want but you have to live on the other side of fence before you can start looking from the outside in, and throwing blind accusations without walking a mile in the other person's shoes! I have had it happen to me and its real annoying going to look for a job and they don't even give you a second look because your dressed the wrong way and suffer from a case of a high melanin count! The worst racists in this country are the closet racists, the ones that can smile in your face and call you every racial slur under the sun when your back is turned. This stuff happens its real, most white don't understand because they never really experienced it before therefore to you it looks like a crutch being place under the black man's arm. Racism is not dead people! It's still very much alive, it just went indoors! The scary thing is that some of these people run some of the major corporations in this country, now if you were in a postion of power and you didn't like certain people, you mean to tell me you wouldn't use that influence in a bad way! Come on people wake up, if you said no your fooling yourself! I not trying to come down on you or anything its just that i hear it all the time from people and it makes me sick, trying to explain something to people who have not experienced what your talking about!

Santa Clara, California
#6New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:48:41
That's perfectly fine if you disagree kj82. I don't expect everyone to think the way I do. And I don't ask them to. But in response to your comment:

@kj82 Said
The whole point of it was to allow qualified blacks to have an equal opportunity in the job market

In trying to give black people or asian people, or who ever, an equal opportunity they in turn discriminated against white people or who ever. Who may have been just as qualified or more qualified, because that company wanted to be seen as being politically correct.

I have no doubt that companies did not hire someone because of their race. But after this was passed the same was being done to white people. It's a contradiction. The same company after this was passed hired that other person rather than the white, not because the other was more qualified, but because if they didn't hire the non-white they would be perceived as a discriminating company. It's a no win situation for the company. If you hire the white person, you are perceived as a racist against anyone not white. If you hire the other race you are discriminating against whites. To me, no matter how you look at it, affirmative action is still a form or racism.

I already said I know that racism still exists. It always will and that's a very sad truth. I never said it didn't exist. But if you are insinuating that I myself am a racist, then I take very full offense to that. I am not a racist. I was stating my own opinion.

I was not throwing blind accusations and I don't pretend to know how anyone other than myself feels. I have experienced racism in a different form. I have come across people that assume that just because I am white that I am racist against blacks or asians. And that simply is not the case. I do not hate a group as a whole. I may dislike a lot of people within that group, but I do not relate that to the entire race.

I lost my train of thought so I will just leave it at that for now.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#7New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:49:25
@kj82 Said
Racism is not dead people! It's still very much alive, it just went indoors! The scary thing is that some of these people run some of the major corporations in this country, now if you were in a postion of power and you didn't like certain people, you mean to tell me you wouldn't use that influence in a bad way! Come on people wake up, if you said no your fooling yourself! I not trying to come down on you or anything its just that i hear it all the time from people and it makes me sick, trying to explain something to people who have not experienced what your talking about!

Where I lived last in Brisbane, there was a black african population. Talk about racism. They(adults) repeatedly pushed and hit white people to the ground, including little kids. One of them tried to hit my then 4 year old but I put him on the ground instead.

A lady who saw this, came out to me and told me to go quick before the police get me instead. She had lived there for years and when the white defends himself against the african black, only the white person is charged.

If they don't like whites, f*** off back to the mud flats of Africa.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#8New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 02:54:35
As for affirmation...

Look at affirmaton for women forced by feminists. Majority of women in Australia are against it. They want to get there by they own merits, not because they have slash between their legs.

The Australian Labor Party(ALP) has very few successful females politicians because of tokenism. They did not have to work for it. While, the Liberal Party who does not have female tokenism, has successful female politicians. They have to work hard and prove themselves. No, I am not a Liberal supporter.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#9New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 03:02:54
Sorry, but it actually can and does sometimes prevent more qualified white applicants from getting a job simply because an organization needs to fill a quota or needs a certain percentage of African Americans employed there. I was on a hiring committee at a previous employer who had quotas they were required to meet for hiring personnnel. Oftentimes it was the African American with no job qualifications whatsoever who was hired simply because "we need another black person in the department" and "she/he seems nice enough, so why not." In the meantime, they're letting qualified applicants slip away simply because they weren't the correct race.

Equal footing is one thing. Disregarding everyone else because they're the wrong color, irregardless if they're black, white, orange, purple, red, or green, is something else entirely.

And, no, I'm not saying discrimination doesn't exist against African Americans . . . especially as I've also witnessed it at other employers where there was a great African American applicant who completely blew all the others away but because "we don't work well with those types of people and they don't last long," we're going to go with the dumbass white chick who doesn't know crap.

The same thing happens with male versus female applicants. Sorry, we'd love to have you but we'd prefer a female in this position so we can say we're open to women and sensitive to our consumers, clients, etc. Or, the people who simply won't look at female applicants twice for certain positions because "there's no way" they could possibly do that job competently.

Racism exists. Discrimination exists. But telling people they now have to cease hiring all males, whites, or whatever majority trait seems to be the most popular as of late is not the key to "equal opportunity."

Edited to add: Oh, my! I can't believe I got zilch for this post. Now the serious discussion may continue.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#10New Post! Mar 30, 2006 @ 03:06:19
It's all discrimination. No if's or butts.
beobscureclearly On August 04, 2006

Back of Beyond, Australia
#11New Post! Apr 03, 2006 @ 12:49:44
Haven't you heard? It's only racism if perpetrated by whites on non whites. No other combination counts.
cinnamin On April 18, 2008

houston, Texas
#12New Post! Apr 03, 2006 @ 12:57:55
I think that is was very necessary at one time. It was a way to force the white buisness owners to be colorblind. Now, we have come along way and there ware more minorities. Racism is still alive and well, but it is on both sides of the fence. But think about it1 They were opressed for years, do you really think if you waked a mile in their shoes you would feel hatred? I saw an amazing movie that actually changed the way I looked at things. It is called The White Man's Burden. John Travolta stars in it and it made me see things flipped around a bit. There are ignorant stupid welfare collecting lazy a*****es of all colors. For the people that want to work, there has to be a fair ground.
cake On January 17, 2021

Atlanta, Georgia
#14New Post! Apr 03, 2006 @ 13:07:57
@cobber Said
I forgot to add, that should you have a job interview or an interview for promotion within any government department, you MUST know the employment strategies for people from non-english speaking background.

Nothing for the english speaking. f*** Em!!!

you....are...a...blood...racist...pal....
cinnamin On April 18, 2008

houston, Texas
#15New Post! Apr 03, 2006 @ 13:09:26
Cake, the message you are trying to convey is one of hatred for the white comunity, and while I don't agree with the person that started this thread, I also think you are wrong for your own self righteousness and contempt.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs