AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#46New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:31:48
@someone_else Said

To which the other would scream "age discrimination!!!!"

Very true, but in the end you need to choose between two candidates. The ridiculous system in America with people suing everybody for everything just isn't working, and really never has. The way things are, you'd be better off never advertising the jobs and instead approach individuals on your own. That way, nobody would be turned down. Of course, someone would sue you for being unfair or something...
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#47New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:34:36
@Chrill Said

The ridiculous system in America with people suing everybody for everything just isn't working, and really never has.

Perhaps that's why it doesn't actually happen, and really never has?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#48New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:36:55
@Chrill Said

Very true, but in the end you need to choose between two candidates. The ridiculous system in America with people suing everybody for everything just isn't working, and really never has. The way things are, you'd be better off never advertising the jobs and instead approach individuals on your own. That way, nobody would be turned down. Of course, someone would sue you for being unfair or something...

I agree. That's actually how I got the job I have now. Business networking is far better than a temp agency.
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:37:36
@Chrill Said

A lot of jobs in the UK are mostly from internal adverstising. You have to be working for the company already to be able to apply for a better job there. Also there are recruitment agenies and temping agencies that deal with the actual emplyment they just supply suitable candidates as they see fit. This is why there are never really any jobs advertised.

Most big companies, publically advertise the small jobs, but these are just a foot in the door. Its then upto you to make something of yourself.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:38:52
Always makes me chuckle when people say there are no jobs out there. But I know quite a few people and I get a lot of job offers. Also LinkedIn has given me a few job offers and all I have so far is a half hearted CV that I put no effort into. The works out there you just need to look for it.
Commander4th On May 31, 2021

, United Kingdom
#51New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:41:03
What do they say, its not what you know its who you know, its so true i know loads of jobs that have been given to a family member or a mate, or some1 already at the job has put in a good word for some1 he knows and has got him the job, just the way the world works

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:42:07
@Commander4th Said

What do they say, its not what you know its who you know, its so true i know loads of jobs that have been given to a family member or a mate, or some1 already at the job has put in a good word for some1 he knows and has got him the job, just the way the world works

We all know this. Yet instead of embracing reality and facing it, people just seem to like to moan and whinge that they are hard done to.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#53New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:43:28
@townie_guy Said

Always makes me chuckle when people say there are no jobs out there. But I know quite a few people and I get a lot of job offers. Also LinkedIn has given me a few job offers and all I have so far is a half hearted CV that I put no effort into. The works out there you just need to look for it.

This might seem a bit odd but in the US, when you're on unemployment (of course this might just be my state) you have to look for full time work. To that end, there are very few jobs. When I was searching, if I had taken a part time job, I'd have had no unemployment and I would have made about half what unemployment pays...with the potential to make less.

Yes, part time is better than nothing but it would've been a bigger hassle to get a part time job, go off unemployment, struggle even more to make ends meet, still look for a full time job then either quit the first part time job or work around it.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:45:22
@someone_else Said

This might seem a bit odd but in the US, when you're on unemployment (of course this might just be my state) you have to look for full time work. To that end, there are very few jobs. When I was searching, if I had taken a part time job, I'd have had no unemployment and I would have made about half what unemployment pays...with the potential to make less.

Yes, part time is better than nothing but it would've been a bigger hassle to get a part time job, go off unemployment, struggle even more to make ends meet, still look for a full time job then either quit the first part time job or work around it.

I know where you are coming from. But I know loads of people with 2 maybe 3 part time jobs. It makes the ends meet.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#55New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:46:58
@townie_guy Said

I know where you are coming from. But I know loads of people with 2 maybe 3 part time jobs. It makes the ends meet.

And that might be practical for them. For people with kids, it's not so practical. Oh yeah...and the ends would be so frayed, they'd never meet.

, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:47:47
@townie_guy Said

We all know this. Yet instead of embracing reality and facing it, people just seem to like to moan and whinge that they are hard done to.

If you was the best qualified applicant for a job, had great experience and had a great interview then found out the job had been given to the managers son, would'nt you feel hard done to?

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#57New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:50:20
@Commander4th Said

If you was the best qualified applicant for a job, had great experience and had a great interview then found out the job had been given to the managers son, would'nt you feel hard done to?

I have been in that situation before. My dad helped me out, he said

"Son, this is the real world, get used to it".

So instead of crying, being a whiney little sissy, and filing lawsuits for human rights, starting riots, making petitions

I went out and found another job.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#58New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:52:23
@someone_else Said

And that might be practical for them. For people with kids, it's not so practical. Oh yeah...and the ends would be so frayed, they'd never meet.

Ahhh fair one, didnt take the kids part into consideration. I guess Im lucky I have built up a fair few contacts, bot on personal level and with bigger organisations who will of heard of me.

, United Kingdom
#59New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:53:56
@townie_guy Said

So instead of crying, being a whiney little sissy, and filing lawsuits for human rights, starting riots, making petitions

Before your dad said son, this is the real world get used to it, did you feel hard done to when it happened to you?
Not a dude.

Deleted

#60New Post! Jul 17, 2012 @ 14:58:05
@townie_guy Said

"Get used to it" doesn't necessarily mean "don't try to change it." Does it?

I keep falling off my bicycle. Yeah, I'll get used to it, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try to stop falling off.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs