The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Languages:
German

ATTENTION! All people who speak german....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
skanky_hoe On January 18, 2007

Deleted

melbourne, Australia
#1New Post! Apr 23, 2006 @ 06:57:03
I need help with a german assignment.

what i need to know is...
what do the following questions mean in english, and, how would you write the answer in a full sentence?

Wo ist sie geboren?
Woher kommt sie?
Wann ist sie geboren?
Wo wohnnt sie?
Hat sie Geschwister?
Ist sie verheiratet oder single?
this means is she married or single? how do you say, divorced, then engaged?
Hat sie kinder?
Wie sieht sie aus? (beschreibe die person - Haarre, Augen, wie gross?
Was fur Hobbys/Interessen hat sie?
Was ist ihre seine grosste Leistung oder grosster Ernfolg?

i know basically what these mean, ok i Do know what they mean, but i have no idea how to answer them in german.
thegorillas On November 10, 2006

Deleted

United States
#2New Post! Apr 23, 2006 @ 07:25:07
Sorry I can't help you out. I only know English and a little Spanish. I know there are sites online that you can type the German in and they will automatically translate it for you into English. Thats how I got by in my spanish classes
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#3New Post! Apr 23, 2006 @ 07:50:39
this may help
sometimes it's a bit inaccurate though
link
asli On January 22, 2007

, Turkey
#4New Post! Apr 23, 2006 @ 08:07:42
Wo ist sie geboren? Ich bin in .... geboren
Woher kommen sie? Ich komme aus....
Wann ist sie geboren? Ich bin geboren in
Wo wohnnt sie? Ich wohne in
Hat sie Geschwister? Ich habe .... Geschwister (if no) keine Geschwister.
Ist sie verheiratet oder single?this means is she married or single? how do you say, divorced, then engaged? Ich bin geschieden und jetzt bin ich verlobt.
Hat sie kinder? Ich habe ... Kinder
Wie sieht sie aus? (beschreibe die person - Haarre, Augen, wie gross? i don't know how you look like
Was fur Hobbys/Interessen hat sie?
Was ist ihre seine grosste Leistung oder grosster Ernfolg?

tell me what u like to say and i translate it for u
lorenzom21 On September 19, 2006

Murray Bridge, Australia
#5New Post! May 03, 2006 @ 05:38:49
u know, i just finished doing year 12 german last year and i have completely 4gotten how to reply to these!! If i was a memeber last year, yeah i would have been able to help!
sublimefan86 On April 29, 2008

orlando,
#6New Post! May 17, 2006 @ 21:39:41
Wo ist sie geboren? "Where were you born?" ich bin in Georgia geboren. "i was born in georgia"
Woher kommt sie? "where are you from?" ich komme aus georgia. "i am from georgia"
Wann ist sie geboren? "when were you born?" ich bin in 1986 geboren. "i was born in 1986"
Wo wohnnt sie? "where do you live?" ich wohne in Florida. "i live in florida"
Hat sie Geschwister? "do you have siblings?" ja, ich habe 4 Geschwister. "yes, i have 4 siblings"
Ist sie verheiratet oder single?this means is she married or single? how do you say, divorced, then engaged? ja, aber ich hatte eine Trennung, dann wieder verheiraten.
Hat sie kinder? "do you have kids?" nein, ich habe keine Kinder. "No, i don't have kids."
Wie sieht sie aus? (beschreibe die person - Haarre, Augen, wie gross? "what do you look like? (describe yourself - hair, eyes, size)" ich bin ein mann, ich habe kurze schwarze Haare, braune Augen, und ich bin fit. "i'm a man, i have short black hair, brown eyes, and i'm fit.
Was fur Hobbys/Interessen hat sie? "what kind of hobbies/interests do you have?" ich mache sport, ich spiele fussball gern, ich gehe oft ins kino... "i do sports, i like to play soccer, i go to the movies alot..."
Was ist ihre/seine grosste Leistung oder grosster Ernfolg? "what is your greatest achievement or biggest success?" Als ich ein Weltmeister in Karate wurde. "when i became a world champion in karate"

hope this helps
knippelberg On February 17, 2008

Hinton, Canada
#7New Post! Aug 20, 2006 @ 20:54:15
One of the best sites I've found for phrases is dict.cc. For example, you can look up a word in English like 'wherever' - and discover that there is no exact single-word translation in German. The options are:

wo immer
wo auch immer
wohin auch immer

However, there are other variations when used in daily speech. Dict.cc provides sample phrases showing the variations.

It is fantastic when you run across an idiom in German that doesn't seem to make any sense - like:

Hals ?ber Kopf

- which means, literally, 'neck over head' - but in German it has several meanings that have nothing to do with 'neck' or 'head'.
scout On September 21, 2006

#8New Post! Aug 25, 2006 @ 23:52:26
"Hals ?ber Kopf - which means, literally, 'neck over head' - but in German it has several meanings that have nothing to do with 'neck' or 'head'."

Well then Kathy, bitte, sagen Sie was es auf Deutsch bedeuten(sp?).

Hinton, Canada
#9New Post! Aug 26, 2006 @ 12:12:58
Hals ?ber Kopf:
at a slapping pace, harum-scarum, helter-skelter, in a mad rush, on the spur of the moment

Hals ?ber Kopf in Schulden:
head over heals in debt

sich Hals ?ber Kopf (in jdn.) verlieben:
to fall head over heels in love (with sb.)
x3katie__x3 On September 19, 2006

Northumberland, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 26, 2006 @ 15:33:54
go onto google and type into the engine dictionary translator then wat u want in the box but make sure u have set the thing to german to english or the utha way round.
scout On September 21, 2006

#11New Post! Aug 27, 2006 @ 11:17:20
Kathy,

Thanks for those websites!

Hinton, Canada
#12New Post! Aug 28, 2006 @ 00:40:06
Kein Problem! (No problem!) Bitte. (You're welcome.)
pradeep On December 29, 2006

Bangalore, India
#13New Post! Oct 13, 2006 @ 16:26:53
Hey was just seeing the scraps here. THe one initially that says, woher kommt sie? or woher kommt er? People have answered it as where do you come from?
But this is incorrect. Kommt is used to ask about a third person. So, I point at someone(third person) and ask you, where does she(the pointed person) comes from. Then, it becomes woher kommt er? or whoer kommt sie?Answer being Er kommt aus -----.

Hinton, Canada
#14New Post! Nov 03, 2006 @ 05:35:49
Quote:
woher kommt sie - where is she coming from?
woher kommt er - where is he coming from?

Pradeep is right.

For 'woher kommt sie' to be translated as 'where are you coming from?' it would have to be: 'woher kommen Sie?'

If you are talking about someone coming from a country, however, like: 'I come from Canada' you would use a statement like: 'ich komme aus Kanada' or 'ich stamme aus/von Kanada'. 'Woher' is a more general term. You would usually use it if you were talking about someone coming from a certain direction, from the store, from the house, etc.
danieljohn13 On September 25, 2007

Unknown, Canada
#15New Post! Nov 27, 2006 @ 19:06:36
@young_nick Said
this may help
sometimes it's a bit inaccurate though
link

That is particulary good for translating a few words, but as you said, can be considerably inaccurate, especially in French...

ie: 'The red shirt' becomes 'La chemise rouge', but as you can see, the color and the subject-ish are inverted, hence, with google, or altavista, when you translate, it would just do it to every word, and the red shirt would then be 'Le/la rouge chemise', which is wrong. Hope that cleared things up a bit.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs