Relationships

A question in two parts....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2
fallen On February 05, 2009

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Jan 19, 2009 @ 22:47:05
First. Do you embellish? I mean on forums like this? Do you always tell the truth 100% of the time? Or do you embellish the truth, a little or a lot? Here's my moment of truth. I embellished on a website that I used to frequent. Mostly to give that extra bit of credibility to my posts in the "off topic" area of the forum. I would say that I personally did something or experienced something when in fact it was actually me living vicariously through a friend or acquaintance. I also played up my skills and education.

Second. How would you feel if someone in your "real life" got onto one of your public forums and read all of your posts? This happened to me recently and it's bugging me a lot. So much in fact that I deleted all of my posts in several forums that I enjoyed very much. I asked the admins to either ban or delete me. I also canceled my MySpace and Facebook accounts and very nearly canceled my email account that I've been using for almost 10 years.

Part of my is livid for the invasion of privacy and part of me is embarrassed. Now someone in my real life knows that I embellished on a public forum.

#2New Post! Jan 19, 2009 @ 23:35:50
Oh dear! I'm the only one, huh? Now I'm really embarrassed...
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#3New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 11:43:43
How would you feel if someone in your "real life" got onto one of your public forums and read all of your posts?
- it would piss me off a little , because i don't like snooping in my personal stuff.

Do you embellish? I mean on forums like this? Do you always tell the truth 100% of the time? Or do you embellish the truth, a little or a lot?
- i have never said untrue things about myself. if i don't wanna tell the truth then i usually don't comment or post .
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 11:45:42
Well if my family found this site, I would not like that.

I don't embelish, but my family is on a need to know basis with me.
steller14 On July 23, 2009

Ottawa, Canada
#5New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 14:48:15
Don't be too embarassed! It happens. It's not like you were embellishing to get ahead in life, you were just having fun right? I think ppl would like and appreciate you more if you did tell the truth though. Once you are caught in a white lie or embelishment it can just keep digging you deeper.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 15:09:14
Most of my daily life is daft enough without any embellishment! Seriously, though, I can't see the point of it. If you start you may start doing it more and more.

#7New Post! Jan 23, 2009 @ 15:33:57
I wasn't like a car salesman or an attorney stretching the truth. It was a composite of personal experience and the experience of someone else. For simplicity's sake, I related the information as completely being my own.

My take was that it was a single thread on an obscure forum not meant to hurt her--or anyone; nor was it meant for personal gain. My name, her name and our location were never mentioned. Had she not been on my personal computer, she never would have found it. If she had found it randomly (without going through my computer); she would not have recognized it as having come from me. It was a completely benign.

It's put a rift on our relationship that will not soon be mended, if ever.

Thanks for the responses.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#8New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 06:51:29
@fallen Said

First. Do you embellish? I mean on forums like this? Do you always tell the truth 100% of the time? Or do you embellish the truth, a little or a lot? Here's my moment of truth. I embellished on a website that I used to frequent. Mostly to give that extra bit of credibility to my posts in the "off topic" area of the forum. I would say that I personally did something or experienced something when in fact it was actually me living vicariously through a friend or acquaintance. I also played up my skills and education.

Second. How would you feel if someone in your "real life" got onto one of your public forums and read all of your posts? This happened to me recently and it's bugging me a lot. So much in fact that I deleted all of my posts in several forums that I enjoyed very much. I asked the admins to either ban or delete me. I also canceled my MySpace and Facebook accounts and very nearly canceled my email account that I've been using for almost 10 years.

Part of my is livid for the invasion of privacy and part of me is embarrassed. Now someone in my real life knows that I embellished on a public forum.

What you did was certainly an extreme way to deal with someone you knew from real life reading your posts.
How did they know it was you? How do you know it was them? Did they confront you? If so tell them to get f*****. The internet is for fun. You were having fun. A lot of people talk s***e on the net. End of.
I tell the truth about my POV 95% of the time. If I think someone is an idiot, rude or awful, I'd be more likely to say nothing.
I don't identify myself personally. I don't talk about my job here. I don't name my exes. I don't discuss highly personal difficult issues. I don't embellish my job or my knowledge, because it's not in my nature, and better qualified people than me will know I'm talking s***e anyway.
If the worst you did was tell a few fibs on a forum you have nothing to worry about. For goodness sake, keep your log in and password here private! Don't tell anyone your ID name here. Then you can post freely, without worrying about friends checking in to see what you have to say about life or worse, about them.
I have never told my best friends my chat ID's for sites. They have their fun online & I have mine.
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#9New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 06:55:48
Well, I'm more open and honest on here then real life, because no one knows me really... I enjoy the freedom of being me.

But if anyone found this site, that i knew in real life... I don't know how happy it would make me, because I'm a very hidden/introverted person, I don't like to tell people what I am like, or how I feel very much, and since I am very open on here... I don't think I would appreciate there company.
roxygemini On April 16, 2009

Deleted

, Canada
#10New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 06:59:36
I don't lie on here or anywhere, but I make alot of dirty jokes, and have a twisted sense of humour sometimes, which I do in the real world as well, but not amongst a room full of strangers, as a first impression of who I am. So if it is someone from my real life, that I am not on that level with, say a coworker, or Aunt or something, I may be embarrased.

For example, the bear f***er post....probably not so much a post I would show off to a coworker or mom and dad.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#11New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 06:59:53
@fallen Said

I wasn't like a car salesman or an attorney stretching the truth. It was a composite of personal experience and the experience of someone else. For simplicity's sake, I related the information as completely being my own.

My take was that it was a single thread on an obscure forum not meant to hurt her--or anyone; nor was it meant for personal gain. My name, her name and our location were never mentioned. Had she not been on my personal computer, she never would have found it. If she had found it randomly (without going through my computer); she would not have recognized it as having come from me. It was a completely benign.

It's put a rift on our relationship that will not soon be mended, if ever.

Thanks for the responses.

Aaah!!!
that explains things a little more.
Ask yourself this: do you think before this happened that your friend had never said anything negative about you to others?
Of course she probably has.
The truth always hurts.
What you said was anonymous. What she is saying about you now to anyone who can listen, is much worse than anything you did.
You were online, anonymous and needed to vent. Sorry. I'm defending you! You did nothing wrong, except let her on your PC. It's a bit like someone reading someone else's diary. everything gets out of context and in the wise words of Bridget Jones - "Everyone knows diaries are just full of crap."
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#12New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 07:08:28
I'm pretty much the same here and in real life.
Ok I just embellished that..

I honestly cannot stand people.
I like peeps..
but not People .
pinkprincess On December 07, 2009

, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 09:48:27
I always (so far anyway) tell it like it is, honesty is a big ting for me. I would like to think that the friends i make on here tell the truth too, as there is no need to impress me i take everyone at face value and couldn't care whether they had the most extravagant life or the most boring one i just like honesty.

If someone i knew came on here and read my posts i would be a little puzzled as to why they would do that, if it was out of curiosity then i probably would be ok with it but if they were doing it because they didn't trust me or being generally nosey i don't think i would like it.

#14New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 14:38:12
I found out it was her because she told me. She found the forum in question (and two others that I was also a member of) because she got onto my computer and went looking. She also looked through my email accounts and social networking sites.

Prior to that happening, I didn't feel I had anything to hide--or didn't think about it one way or another--and I had the same nickname and password for all of my accounts. All she, or anyone had to do was open my bookmarks and there it all was...

I realize that my reaction was a bit, "knee jerk." Too late to change that now...I suppose I could re-activate my accounts, but I really don't miss them that much.

I had a real life stalker when I was younger. This was prior to the public's use of the Internet. He did some extreme things such as break into my house and car and steal my mail. He also contacted my employer and teachers to complain that I was stalking him. It was a nightmare time of my life and this recent little breech of privacy freaked me out pretty badly.

Anyway, thanks for your (collective) advice and personal experiences. It is appreciated.
Cheeks On March 30, 2009

Deleted

Perth, Australia
#15New Post! Jan 29, 2009 @ 04:08:26
i dont embellish anything.. I am who i am.. with the experiences i have lived.

as for your second question.... i would be pissed off.
you see i also am a member on a few other forums, one of them i admin for. over the last few years i have made many online friends from all over australia, and have flown interstate and have partied with them... a handful are now my closest friends.

this is the first forum i have come on thats not just an australian site.... why? because even tho i love these friends i have in my life, sometimes i just want to be alone. not have them read my posts, not always having to watch what i say, and maybe because i just want something for my self that doesnt also belong to them...

myspace and some other sites are blocked at work, this one isnt...

i guess tfs is my little secret... and after a few weeks i can honestly say this is a pretty nice place....

so embellish? no.... i have no need to...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs