Business & Money

A question...Is money infinite?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
MrLavalove On November 01, 2010

Las Vegas, Nevada
#1New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 09:04:53
I was having a conversation with someone (a supply sider) who claimed this, and I just don't see it . Help .

The question is simply is "money" infinite ?
solevil On February 09, 2014

The Dark Side, Louisiana
#2New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 09:17:48
no

nuff said
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 09:36:15
When I'm on holiday I tend to treat money like I have an infinite supply.
Fellie On May 15, 2014

Waipawa, New Zealand
#4New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 10:15:43
If money was infinite in amount then it would be worthless
JustMeAgain On January 03, 2014
Is it fish?

Derby, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 10:17:58
I wish my money was infinite.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#6New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 14:05:15
Money is infinite with currency that is not backed with any
value,and is only printing press money it can be infinite.
Lyndon B. Johnson used printing press money to pay for the Viet Nam War along with looting Social Security.
MrLavalove On November 01, 2010

Las Vegas, Nevada
#7New Post! Aug 10, 2010 @ 21:43:45
@KAMPA Said

Money is infinite with currency that is not backed with any
value,and is only printing press money it can be infinite.
Lyndon B. Johnson used printing press money to pay for the Viet Nam War along with looting Social Security.

That may be, but "firing up the presses" causes immediate and rampant inflation, thereby diminishing the purchasing power of said printed money. This necessitates the printing of even more money..... all just to prop up the elites.

IMO, the notion that "money" is infinite is dangerous and childish. I have also found that this question is a great tool for spotting "supply siders".
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#8New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 11:27:28
@MrLavalove Said

That may be, but "firing up the presses" causes immediate and rampant inflation, thereby diminishing the purchasing power of said printed money. This necessitates the printing of even more money..... all just to prop up the elites.

IMO, the notion that "money" is infinite is dangerous and childish. I have also found that this question is a great tool for spotting "supply siders".

Yes, very true, Johnson's actions caused the money inflation that began in 1967!
hrmanagement On December 13, 2010

Banned

St. Petersburg,
#9New Post! Sep 08, 2010 @ 07:18:14
I don't believe there is a system for infinite money, but this code will release the lot in the game, counting effects you shell out for, but it doesn't effect your development in the game.
beelzebub On January 10, 2013

, Georgia
#10New Post! Dec 28, 2010 @ 20:17:38
US currency IS infinite.

This happened when the dollar was separated from any material backing (ie GOLD or SILVER). Once currency was limited in the US due to the GOLD STANDARD. This policy did tie currency to a actual physical thing.

Today the U.S. dollar freely floats on currency markets thanks to Ronald Regan.

Its paper that can be printed or its numbers that are typed into a computer and transferred.

Mathias On January 18, 2011

Kent, Washington
#11New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 05:04:08
This is an interesting fact you have here. Is there any way you can prove this information? If so please reply with the details.

also to answer the question about money, no money is not infinite, even if this fact is truth. For example, if you have a million ounces of gold and that value determines how much money you can print then money is finite and if you print more money than the gold is worth then the value of the currency diminishes. Conversely if the currency is not tied to any valuable material then money is merely limited by numbers and since numbers are infinite so shall be money because mathematically numbers will go on forever. but if said fact is true then gold no longer limits our currency instead the limitation is due to the money:citizen ratio. so eventually if everyone has say $100,000,000 everyone may as well have $1 because the value of the money would be so insignificant that nobody would want it or need it.

it is my belief that monetary value is determined by rarity and nothing more. long story short if gold no longer determines monetary value then something must and if nothing else it must be the ratio of money to people using it. so no, money is not infinite. and just in case those who read this are wondering why money has value, its only because we gave it value.

@beelzebub Said

US currency IS infinite.

This happened when the dollar was separated from any material backing (ie GOLD or SILVER). Once currency was limited in the US due to the GOLD STANDARD. This policy did tie currency to a actual physical thing.

Its paper that can be printed or its numbers that are typed into a computer and transferred.

ItsCourtneyX On February 19, 2011

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#12New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 05:12:23
No, I think if money were infinite it would hold no value.

beelzebub On January 10, 2013

, Georgia
#13New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 05:14:28
@ItsCourtneyX Said
dunno

I agree with this statement!
Kels8786 On December 02, 2011

Montgomery,
#14New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 05:53:09
I guess it comes down to what you mean by money... money isn't wealth but I think even if you mean wealth or currency the answer is no
Kels8786 On December 02, 2011

Montgomery,
#15New Post! Dec 29, 2010 @ 05:57:24
@beelzebub Said

US currency IS infinite.

just because you have the ability to print all the currency you want doesnt mean that it is infinite because if you print it you will have high inflation once it hits the open market and thus you will have other issues this is why there is such a fear about the fed giving the banks more monetary base. They are afraid it will cause a spike in inflation which opens the door to a whole world of problems. So just cause you can doesn't mean it makes sense to do so.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs