The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Philosophy

A good beating as a way of teaching people respect.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#1New Post! Aug 01, 2017 @ 19:25:37
Some call it corporal punishment, others call it an a** kicking - it goes by many different names in many different cultures. Barring psychopaths or sociopaths, it's usually meant to be used as a way of teaching people respect, or a lesson when they get out of line, or are thought to get out of line, by their peers, their parents, or even their enemies.

The question I'd like to pose is, where does this philosiphy come from and why is it practiced?
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Aug 01, 2017 @ 21:21:30
the philosophy come the bible, the term is " honor your father! . i am assume that claiming the children are beating by their fathers.

we assume that god said that children need to punish by their parents. i haven't read the bible, but i have seen the movie adaptations of different versions from the bible. didn't chuckie boy kicked as moses in " the ten commandants. originally, they were going to the ten commandments as musical. ever hear charlie heston sing, let me tell you about chuck. if chuck was around with irsealites, chuck started sing, the irsealites have would swan cross the dead sea, before the sea separated.

maybe, the ten commandants, people took to literally, as well as the bible. just because our parents were born before us, doesn't mean they are right about everything. who taught them, right or wrong, the bible did.

the bible to honor or respect our parents, not because they have all the answers. they were born before us. our parents get wiser, because their older, you are, they have experiences.

for the people, who get beating from their parents, so many reasons for this question. if parent were beating by a parent, they would have social problems dealing with someone or public. most of these kind of a person will have some kind of resentment to the parent, out of reflex, i guess. not that i give you, new inside of something, we don't know.

they are people, who were beating by parents, who usually have mental and physical problems, but not going killing or harming people. only, to their
selves.

a good beating to anyone, is not a form of respect in any form to anyone. in time, there is no simple answers, why people get beating by their parents.

a better question is:

if a good beating as a way to teach respect. the beating is form of respect. who deserve the respect the person, who is getting the respect by the beating. or, the person, who is giving the beating to the person?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#3New Post! Aug 01, 2017 @ 22:59:15
@twilitezone911 Said

the philosophy come the bible, the term is " honor your father! . i am assume that claiming the children are beating by their fathers.

oh PLEEEASEEEEE

that's as stupid as "Obama did it".LOL
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Aug 02, 2017 @ 00:05:54
@Conflict Said

...where does this philosiphy come from and why is it practiced?

While it would be easy to blame religion (an fun to blame Christians...just to get a rise out of them), the philosophy of the use of corporal punishment on children probably didn't actually come from religion.

Sure, some religions (and philosophies) teach or support or promote it to some degree or another...however that is most likely a justification created or inserted into the text/teaching by people who believed it a legitimate thing.

While never having studied the history of the topic, I would venture a guess that there has always been corporal punishment to some degree.

Humans are animals.

Animals use physical actions (punishments or punishment like actions) for a variety of reasons... we humans are no different.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Aug 02, 2017 @ 12:15:59
@Conflict Said

Some call it corporal punishment, others call it an a** kicking - it goes by many different names in many different cultures. Barring psychopaths or sociopaths, it's usually meant to be used as a way of teaching people respect, or a lesson when they get out of line, or are thought to get out of line, by their peers, their parents, or even their enemies.

The question I'd like to pose is, where does this philosiphy come from and why is it practiced?

It comes from either intellectual laziness or ineptitude, or it comes from narcissism.

If you are intellectually lazy or inept, you either are too lazy to take a more productive route toward "teaching lessons" or are unable to understand that more productive routes are available. If you are a narcissist, you simply do not care that there are more productive methods available because all you are concerned with is the end result as it pertains to yourself. You beat those who disrespect you into submission while maintaining apathy over whether or not they actually respect you for it (they don't) because the end result is that they will fall into whatever line you want them to.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Aug 02, 2017 @ 12:16:44
@chaski Said

Animals use physical actions...for a variety of reasons... we humans are no different.

This includes backrubs, thankfully.
Conflict On April 22, 2024

Alcalá de Henares, Spain
#7New Post! Aug 02, 2017 @ 20:53:06
@Eaglebauer Said

It comes from either intellectual laziness or ineptitude, or it comes from narcissism.

If you are intellectually lazy or inept, you either are too lazy to take a more productive route toward "teaching lessons" or are unable to understand that more productive routes are available. If you are a narcissist, you simply do not care that there are more productive methods available because all you are concerned with is the end result as it pertains to yourself. You beat those who disrespect you into submission while maintaining apathy over whether or not they actually respect you for it (they don't) because the end result is that they will fall into whatever line you want them to.

I see. Well, the game Batman Arkham City has popularised the phrase "getting your a** kicked 101". The joker uses this phrase and he also talks about "teaching batman some respect" in their fight.

Is this relevant to the concepts you have put forth?
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#8New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 01:54:09
There is corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment is physical punishment.

Conflict: Where does the philosophy corporal punishment come from?

Erimitus: Fear of punishment and hope of reward is believed to influences behavior.

Conflict: Why is corporal punishment practiced?

Erimitus: Physical punishment is used by the punisher (who is the stronger) in order to cause pain and or injury to the punished (who is the weaker) in an attempt to condition the punished to behave in a way acceptable to the punisher.

Comment: Punishing the weaker teaches them that it is acceptable to harm those who are weaker in order to have power over them. That, I suppose, is normal when establishing a pecking order.

Comment: The threat of punishment is (in most cases) enough to influence behavior.
Comment: A slave (employee) is useless unless he produces more that he consumes. So the master (boss) punishes the slave who does not do so. Hence the term cracker (the one who cracks the whip) is the punisher.

#9New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 01:57:19
@twilitezone911 Said

we assume that god said that children need to punish by their parents. i haven't read the bible, but i have seen the movie adaptations of different versions from the bible. didn't chuckie boy kicked as moses in " the ten commandants. originally, they were going to the ten commandments as musical. ever hear charlie heston sing, let me tell you about chuck. if chuck was around with irsealites, chuck started sing, the irsealites have would swan cross the dead sea, before the sea separated.

maybe, the ten commandants, people took to literally, as well as the bible. just because our parents were born before us, doesn't mean they are right about everything. who taught them, right or wrong, the bible did.

the bible to honor or respect our parents, not because they have all the answers. they were born before us. our parents get wiser, because their older, you are, they have experiences.

for the people, who get beating from their parents, so many reasons for this question. if parent were beating by a parent, they would have social problems dealing with someone or public. most of these kind of a person will have some kind of resentment to the parent, out of reflex, i guess. not that i give you, new inside of something, we don't know.

they are people, who were beating by parents, who usually have mental and physical problems, but not going killing or harming people. only, to their
selves.

a good beating to anyone, is not a form of respect in any form to anyone. in time, there is no simple answers, why people get beating by their parents.

a better question is:

if a good beating as a way to teach respect. the beating is form of respect. who deserve the respect the person, who is getting the respect by the beating. or, the person, who is giving the beating to the person?

Proverbs 13:24
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#10New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 02:15:41
@Erimitus Said

Proverbs 13:24

how about that the bible is quote me!
realgamerhours On August 03, 2017

Gamer Central, Canada
#11New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 04:19:41
Just don't think you should beat anyone really
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 04:40:04
I wonder at the phrase "a good beating." As if any sort of beating could be construed as 'good', by any definition of that word.

No good whatsoever comes from violence. The only lessons learned are inevitably negative ones and I quite agree with Eaglebauer above that such violence is perpetrated by those too intellectually inept or lazy to use other methods of correcting inappropriate behaviour.

I'm completely bemused by Conflict's conflation of such methods with a computer game. I would suggest he come into the real world, put his gaming console down and start to talk in adult language rather than street slang to discuss the serious issue that he has started.

I see the argument made by Twilight that the Bible has made violence seem acceptable because God did it. The God of the old testament was little short of a psychopath. If some consider that their adherence to the Christian faith gives them moral authority to beat their children then in my opinion we need to condemn religion rather than follow it.

Children need love and nurturing not violence. In the animal world, a cub who gets out of line might be given a nip by its parent. This is necessary in the animal world because animals can't communicate in any other way. We can.

We not only have a spoken language, which children learn at a rapid rate, but we also have a wide range of vocal inflection and facial expression.

Children know when they've been naughty. Parents can convey their displeasure by methods other than putting their hand to their children.

Again, as Eaglebauer (in my opinion) rightly says, there are more appropriate methods available and the child will not only consider itself taught rather than forced to learn the difference between good and bad. Also, they will do so in the understanding that their parent is teaching them as an act of love, for their benefit, rather than an act of force.... domination.... to achieve unquestioning compliance.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 06:24:29
Corporal punishment is a highly effective method of getting someone in line on the short term, but on the long term, it has damaging repercussions. This is why those who are on the lazier side do it and why those who are willing to put in the time, effort, and expenditure it takes to utilize alternatives don't.

#14New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 06:36:48
@Jennifer1984 Said

I wonder at the phrase "a good beating." As if any sort of beating could be construed as 'good', by any definition of that word.

No good whatsoever comes from violence. The only lessons learned are inevitably negative ones and I quite agree with Eaglebauer above that such violence is perpetrated by those too intellectually inept or lazy to use other methods of correcting inappropriate behaviour.

I'm completely bemused by Conflict's conflation of such methods with a computer game. I would suggest he come into the real world, put his gaming console down and start to talk in adult language rather than street slang to discuss the serious issue that he has started.

I see the argument made by Twilight that the Bible has made violence seem acceptable because God did it. The God of the old testament was little short of a psychopath. If some consider that their adherence to the Christian faith gives them moral authority to beat their children then in my opinion we need to condemn religion rather than follow it.

Children need love and nurturing not violence. In the animal world, a cub who gets out of line might be given a nip by its parent. This is necessary in the animal world because animals can't communicate in any other way. We can.

We not only have a spoken language, which children learn at a rapid rate, but we also have a wide range of vocal inflection and facial expression.

Children know when they've been naughty. Parents can convey their displeasure by methods other than putting their hand to their children.

Again, as Eaglebauer (in my opinion) rightly says, there are more appropriate methods available and the child will not only consider itself taught rather than forced to learn the difference between good and bad. Also, they will do so in the understanding that their parent is teaching them as an act of love, for their benefit, rather than an act of force.... domination.... to achieve unquestioning compliance.

J: I wonder at the phrase "a good beating." As if any sort of beating could be construed as 'good', by any definition of that word.

E: I suppose a masochist might enjoy a good (merciless) beating. But …but I believe I understand what you mean.

E: The term ‘good’ is vague and subjective and the term beating (as I understand it) refers to repeatedly hitting another person.

E: The use of the adjective good indicates that there is a bad. A bad beating might be considered an assault that does excessive and unnecessary harm but then a good beating means the same thing. As I said the term is vague…

E: A beating done with good intentions might be a good beating. For example, hitting someone to stop them from harming you, or themselves, or others when there is no other option would be a beating that is beneficial (i.e., good).
E: Anyway, if I understand you correctly I agree; violence should be the last resort and there should be no unnecessary harm done.

E: Maybe a justified beating could be considered a ‘good’ beating or an acceptable beating.

J: No good whatsoever comes from violence.

E: ‘tis an ill wind that blows no good.
Tradesecret On August 16, 2017

Drouin, Australia
#15New Post! Aug 03, 2017 @ 12:01:39
corporal punishment or discipline are different things. the first is an end in itself and the latter is a means to bring about change.

While discipline is undoubtedly found in the bible for those who have some hope of change - punishment as a means typically ended in death and primarily for those who had no hope of reformation. Including little babies.

discipline in every society is typical. There are many methods of how discipline is executed - and some, indeed most practice a corporal method.

discipline is actually something that occurs quite naturally. If place my hand on the hot stove, corporal punishment or discipline are different things. the first is an end in itself and the latter is a means to bring about change.

While discipline is undoubtedly found in the bible for those who have some hope of change - punishment as a means typically ended in death and primarily for those who had no hope of reformation. Including little babies.

discipline in every society is typical. There are many methods of how discipline is executed - and some, indeed most practice a corporal method.

discipline is actually something that occurs quite naturally. If place my hand on the hot stove, corporal punishment or discipline are different things. the first is an end in itself and the latter is a means to bring about change.

discipline is actually something that occurs quite naturally. If I place my hand on the hot stove, there will be pain. This pain will hopefully help me not to do it again. On the other side if I receive a kiss from a pretty girl for giving her flowers I might see that as positive reinforcement.

Receiving a smack which is reasonable from a parent or someone in authority can be helpful. Whereas receiving a beating is in my view a different kettle of fish. One is beneficial the other is abuse. Abuse should never be tolerated.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs