Religion

A balance between the needs of soul and the body

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
anas On April 21, 2012

aaaa, Syria
#1New Post! Feb 13, 2010 @ 06:51:37
A Balance Between The Needs of the Soul and the Body
Muhammad e came with a revelation from AllahI, presenting a religion compatible with human nature - one satisfying the needs of the soul as well as those of the body, and establishing a balance between worldly deeds and those done for the Hereafter. It is a religion which disciplines human instincts and desires without suppressing them completely as in some other cultures which became obsessed with ideals contrary to human nature, depriving religious men given to worship of such natural human rights as marriage and of such natural reactions as anger toward transgression, expecting them not even to defend themselves against aggressors. This led most members of those societies to reject religious teachings and become absorbed in the material world which caters only to their bodies while leaving their souls in a miserable state.
Indeed, the one who sent Muhammad e with the message of Islam is none other than AllahI, the Creator of all people. HeI knows what is best for them and what is compatible with their natures, tendencies, abilities and needs. Human nature will not remain upright unless it is satisfied or appeased, and it will not remain upright when confronted with opposition. This nature, when perverted or corrupted, will damage and destabilize man's life on earth and cause incurable psychological and social diseases to appear. This is what has actually happened in many parts of the earth, in societies that promote such forms of opposition to sound and upright human nature as renouncing marriage, monastic abstention, homosexuality, seclusion from society, excessive materialism or pursuit of physical gratification without regard for spiritual needs and requirements.
Anyone who contemplates the Islamic religious teachings conveyed from AllahI through Prophet Muhammad e will notice a balance in the various aspects of human life: between the need of the physical body for food and drink, marriage and personal rights, the need of the soul for worship and moral purification and the need of the intellect for knowledge, research and discovery.
Islam has set a comprehensive balance for all of these without exceeding limits in any aspect. And it confirmed this by prohibiting excess and immoderation just as it prohibited disregard and neglect. It orders moderation in all situations and its legislation was established for the realization of these aims. It clarifies limits which are not inconsistent with human nature and the role for which man was created: the service of AllahI and development of the earth in beneficial ways. Islamic law permits everything that has potential benefit for mankind and prohibits everything harmful or detrimental to human life regarding one's mind, body and property.
The following are some of the significant verses revealed to Prophet Muhammad e.
AllahI said:
"And He subjected to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth - all from Him. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought." (45:13)
So AllahI did not create this universe to remain neglected without yield or for its inhabitants to be indifferent to it. The words "subjected to you" express the meanings of subjugation, facilitation and discovery in this universe in order to benefit from its elements and its wealth.
HeI also said:
"Seek, through that which Allah has given you, the home of the Hereafter; but do not forget your share of the world. And do good as Allah has done good to you. And desire not corruption in the land. Indeed, Allah does not like corrupters." (28:77)
And HeI described His righteous servants as:
"Men whom neither commerce nor sale distracts from the remembrance of Allah and performance of prayer and giving of zakah." (24:37)
Even when involved in business, they do not forget spiritual and moral duties due to fear of the account before AllahI in the Hereafter. Imagine the conduct of these businessmen with this kind of belief and moral character, and how life in its every aspect would be among such people. History bears witness to the fact that the likes of these Muslim traders were the cause of Islam's spread into many vast and distant regions, like Indonesia and Sudan, without military conquest, contrary to the claims of those who fail to study history adequately.
AllahI also said:
"And We placed in the hearts of those who followed him [i.e., Jesus] compassion and mercy and monasticism, which they innovated; We did not prescribe it for them except [that they did so] seeking the approval of Allah. But they did not observe it with due observance." (57:27)
But Muhammad e, the Prophet of Islam, presented the most splendid examples and directives concerning the balance between spirituality and materialism. He r would become extremely angry with those who opposed the inborn human nature and traditions of the prophets and messengers. Once, he heard that some people, out of keenness to worship AllahI, had taken an oath to refrain from sleep, from marriage and from food and drink. His position toward them was strict determination to uphold the balance he had been charged to teach. Anas bin Malik t reported:
"Three members of the Prophet's r wives' families came asking about the worship of the Prophet e, and when they were informed they seemed to consider it little, and said, 'How can we compare to the Prophet e when AllahI has forgiven his previous and future errors?' So one of them said, 'As for me, I will pray all the night.' Another said, 'As for me, I will fast every day and not break my fast.' The third said, 'As for me, I will avoid women and never marry.' When the Prophet e arrived he asked, 'Are you the ones who said so and so? I swear, I am the most conscious and fearing of Allah among you, but I fast and break my fast, I pray and sleep, and I marry women. And whoever refuses my Sunnah (instruction and example) is not of me."
He r also encouraged work and affirmed that it is the best source of income. He r said,
"No one has eaten better food than that earned by the work of his own hands, and Allah's prophet, David (peace be upon him) used to eat from the work of his hands."
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs