A Stewardess kept screaming: "We're going to crash,"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#1New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 06:19:28
A STEWARDESS kept screaming: "We're going to crash," when a packed jet hit turbulence at 30,000ft causing panic among passengers.

The cabin crew member shouted out three times as travellers were tossed around and trays, drinks and bags flew through the air.

Passenger Paul Gibson, 30, said: "She began screaming every time the plane shook.

"She shouted at the top of her voice, 'We're going to crash! We're going to crash! We're going to crash!'"

Virgin Atlantic flight VS043 hit bad weather three hours into its journey from Gatwick to Las Vegas.

The stewardess, who is in her mid-20s, was terrified. One passenger was smashed into the overhead lockers of the Boeing 747-400 while others, some in tears, gripped their seats and prayed.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

Some were trapped in the toilets or sat petrified on the floor. Many of the 469 passengers and crew vomited and the cabin was strewn with sick bags.

The pilot told the screaming stewardess and other crew members to strap themselves into their seats. She sat for an hour tossing sick bags across the aisle to frightened customers.

Mr Gibson, editorial director of Chauffeur Magazine, was on his way to a limousine industry conference on Friday. He said: "The turbulence started very suddenly and one member of cabin crew said it was the worst they had experienced in seven years of flying.

"Passengers who were walking about the aircraft had to sit on the floor and hold on for dear life.

"Loads of people were being sick and when someone shouted at the stewardess for more sick bags, she picked up a dozen and threw them across the cabin.

"It was raining sick bags. The aircraft was in chaos.

"People were crying and being sick everywhere and then there was an announcement that the people stuck in the toilets would have to stay there until the turbulence had stopped.

"One passenger hit his head on the overhead luggage compartments as he wasn't strapped in.

"Afterwards, no apology was made over the loud speakers. The supervisor on the aircraft was informed that complaints would be made against the stewardess."

Virgin Atlantic said: "The crew report stated that there was severe turbulence.

"Crew were asked to remain in their seats for an hour.

"We have not yet received any complaint about the actions of any of the crew, although the passengers are still out in Las Vegas.

"Turbulence can be a very frightening ordeal."

I think she needs to find a new job.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#2New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 06:25:33
I heard this story earlier today and it reported that they dropped 8,000 feet during this time period. That's a lot of space to be dropping due to "simple turbulence". Hell, I'd probably be screaming, too!
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#3New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 06:27:57
But as a stewardess she should know better.

Purgatory Beach,
#4New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 06:31:16
pfft, you drop 8,000 feet in the air, see people vomiting everywhere & see how long you keep your cool. I agree that it would be just a wee bit disconcerting to be on a flight where the flight attendant loses his/her cool and starts screaming, but who's to say what anyone would do in similar circumstances. The only way to verify a flight attendant doesn't lose it during that type of situation is to place them in that type of situation. Was this one? If not, then the training places are just as much at fault for not exposing their personnel to all possible events so they can train accordingly and know what to do & how to react if those events unfold while they're in the air.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#5New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 06:34:12
Then as part of their training they should take them up in a plane and drop them 8,000 ft a few times to see how they react and then explain to them this kind of thing can happen in turbulence.

Purgatory Beach,
#6New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:05:59
Exactly!
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#7New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:28:10
No aircraft in the history of flying has crashed due to turbulance, it's rare to have it so violent - but it does happen.
It can be very frightening though, and I have recent experience of this.
Stuff flew all over the cabin - they'd just been serving coffees so you can imagine the chaos, not to mention damage to cabin staff getting hot drinks over them. People panicked. I went into auto mode and shouted down the cabin that it was only turbulance, and to strap themselves in tightly. I then spent 20 mins explaining to frightened children and anyone else who could hear what turbulance was, and how it was more inconvenient than dangerous.

I still get really annoyed thinking about it, I wasn't so bothered about myself, but I had others with me, and I was frightened for them I didn't want them upset. It was a feeling of being powerless to protect anyone I guess.

I will admit though an hour later I was shaking and was really glad to get back on the ground.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#8New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:31:26
I hate it when you are sleeping and then shaken awake by turbulence. For a couple of seconds you are panicked and disoriented until you realize what's going on.
rosesforme17 On August 29, 2023

Santa Clara, California
#9New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:31:30
I would think that flight personnel are trained for these types of situations. And the flight attendant may have reacted inappropriately but I can imagine how terrifing it must have been. I don't even know how I would have reacted in the same circumstances. But aside from her reaction, one of the other crew members should have told her to sit down and be quiet at least. I'm sure her demeanor only added to the hysteria. If she had tried to remain calm, the passengers probably wouldn't have freaked out just as much. Although the vomitting probably couldn't be helped either way. But maybe she isn't cut out to be a flight attendant. That most certainly was a test. I wonder if the pilots were just as nervous. I wouldn't blame passengers for being upset with her and wanting to make complaints. But I also don't blame her for being scared out of her mind. But the last thing she should have done was go around yelling "We're going to crash." No matter how scared she or anyone else was, that's not something that should be said while in the air. Like I said, I don't even know how I would react, I hope to never find out, but it was inappropriate. I think she should be reprimanded in some way. Although I don't think it should be too harsh. Those definetly were extreme circumstances.

Santa Clara, California
#10New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:41:13
@sheepy Said
No aircraft in the history of flying has crashed due to turbulance, it's rare to have it so violent - but it does happen.
It can be very frightening though, and I have recent experience of this.
Stuff flew all over the cabin - they'd just been serving coffees so you can imagine the chaos, not to mention damage to cabin staff getting hot drinks over them. People panicked. I went into auto mode and shouted down the cabin that it was only turbulance, and to strap themselves in tightly. I then spent 20 mins explaining to frightened children and anyone else who could hear what turbulance was, and how it was more inconvenient than dangerous.

I still get really annoyed thinking about it, I wasn't so bothered about myself, but I had others with me, and I was frightened for them I didn't want them upset. It was a feeling of being powerless to protect anyone I guess.

I will admit though an hour later I was shaking and was really glad to get back on the ground.

Question, are you a pilot? Reading your post I got that impression. Anyway, there may not be specifics of turbulance causing a crash. But I would think it is a possibility. If the turbulance were bad enough couldn't it cause the plane to lose altitude too quickly and engines to fail? Not that I want to find out for sure. Knock on wood that doesn't happen just to answer my question. It was just a hypothetical thought.

While there may not be any actual cases of crashes caused by turbulance, I can imagine it feeling that way to the people on board. I have felt that way before. I have a fear of flying period. But I was on a flight before that hit some pretty rough turbulance just 10-15 minutes before landing on my way home. Though not as severe as this one in the article. But I feared we were going to crash. I was so relieved to see the ground just a little ways below us just before touching down. I was ecstatic to touch the ground. It can be very frightening.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:55:29
I'm not a pilot roses, but I've spoken to some, and I've read up on it a lot. I could be wrong on that then - but I do hope not.
I have heard of a pilot who has not avoided bad weather to probably liven up what must be a boring routine journey! Not good.
I'm not sure if it is possible for turbulance to cause a catastrophic failure - maybe someone would be able to clear that one up.
As a point of interest, planes are designed to take some real rough treatment. The wings can be bent right up before they would be damaged (I think I read it was 60 degrees - but I'd have to check that if anyone was interested). I also know someone who used to watch planes land at the airfield in the Falklands, and this is a place where turbulance is guaranteed. They used to give them marks out of 10, and one jet was hit by some winds and turned nearly on it's side, the wings nearly clipping the tarmac - it was fine though (And by all accounts got a 10)

An ex-boss of mine (When I was on a training course after leaving school) told me of a time he was getting ready to land in Tokyo, and decided to go to the toilets for a shave. There was some turbulance, and at one point he was on the ceiling looking down
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 07:59:15
turbulence makes me sick

Santa Clara, California
#13New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 08:02:23
I wasn't asking you specifically sheepy if turbulance could cause a crash. It was just a question in general. You did sound like a pilot though.

No that is not good for a pilot to purposely fly into bad weather just to liven things up. I'm glad he wasn't piloting any of the planes I was on. At least I hope he wasn't.

I'm sure planes are built very well and made to withstand a lot of punishment. But even the best materials and greatest minds can't always withstand nature's wrath.

But I really don't want to find out the answer to my hypotectical question. It's giving me goosebumps just thinking about it.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#14New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 08:07:51
i think turbalance is fun, but i hate flying?? weird?? its like a free roller costa ride!! but i would have smacked that histerical bi-atch square in the mouth... my g/f or all my family would have s*** them selfs in that situation...
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#15New Post! Mar 02, 2006 @ 09:00:51
I've seen how Branston picks his staff and it's not for their ability to remain calm when they think they are about to die.

When they have gone throught some selection tests they are seated in a room on numbered seats. He comes into the room speaks a few words of encouragement to the group and on his way out gives the numbers of those who he is going to hire.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs