Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jul 07, 2020 @ 09:07:32
@offbeat Said

no, i saw a school head being interviewed and she said that they were told to withdraw the lgbt literature in order to diffuse the situation.And i've no idea who yaxely lenno is. And, it's not about race, it's about a religeous group ( i've no concerns about Hindu or Sikh people) that have beliefs which undermine womens rights and the rights of the lgbt community. For some reason you seem ok with their prejudice against those two groups, even though you personally are a member of both groups. And i will repeat what i wrote earlier, if a group of secular men were to set up an organization that was prejudicial to the rights of women and the lgbt community, would you protest their exestence? I think you would.

You are wrong. The lessons are still being taught. The situation was de-fused when the High Court ordered an exclusion zone around the school. The school won the argument. Why would they then stop carrying out the lessons that they had fought to preserve...?

I don't know what interview you're talking about but a link to some text of the interview or better still, a recording of the interview itself would sustain your argument but if you can't come up with anything then we only have your word for it that such a thing was said.

As for religious groups: I have no qualms or worries about religious groups of any stripe. As long as they obey the law, I take no interest in them.

For me, it is the law of the land that must be adhered to. I've been quite consistent in that all along. If any group, be they religious or secular, breaks the law in a manner that discriminates against, persecutes, offends or disadvantages ANYBODY then I would condemn it.

I would condemn it because doing such things are against the law.

If people conduct their faith in a manner that is lawful then that person has the freedom and liberty to follow it as they will.

With regard to religion itself, I do not know enough about Islam to criticise its tenets, but like all faiths, their holy book is open to interpretation. How some choose to interpret Islam is probably at variance to how others interpret it. If some choose to interpret it in order to justify crime on the basis of faith I would say they are wrong because the law supercedes religious belief in this country. Faith is not justification for crime.

Some years ago, certain Islamic clerics came into conflict with British authorities. One Abu Hamza became known as a "Hate Preacher". He was arrested and imprisoned because his sermons broke the law. He was later deported to USA where he was sentenced to life imprisonment on terrorism charges.

We will tolerate people of faith. We will tolerate them preaching their gospel. As long as they stay within the law, they can exercise their faith freely and without hindrance. What we will not tolerate is those who attempt to use their faith as a cover for crime.

I hope I make myself crystal clear. If you can't understand that, you can't understand anything.

On the subject of hateful religions though, how about these:

"Whoever curses his mother and father must be put to death."

"If a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night, her husband must put her to death."

"When a man has sexual intercourse with another man as with a woman, both men must be put to death."

"Every man or woman who is a medium or a psychic must be put to death. They must be stoned to death because they deserve to die.”

Where do we find these laws...? In the Koran..? In the teachings of some weird sect..? Nope. We find them in the Holy Bible. Book of Leviticus, to be precise.

Now, none of the things listed as offences above are against the law. A woman can have sex before marriage. it's entirely lawful. Homosexuality was de-criminalised in the 1960s. Psychics work quite lawfully. Name me a teenager who has never shouted at his or her parents at some time.

I laugh at Leviticus rather than condemn it because it is patently ridiculous. But to some it might be a justification for crimes against gay men, carnival mediums or stroppy adolescents.

So.......... when you talk of Islam as a religion of hate, remember, Christianity is no better.

in my opinion, all faiths have dodgy laws scattered throughout their teachings. None is better than any other.

But rational people ignore them and get on with living. Only those of malign intent take them to heart. If they act upon them and come into conflict with the law then we as citizens rely upon the law of the land to deal with them.

That's how civilisation works.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jul 07, 2020 @ 10:13:21
@Jennifer1984 Said

in my opinion, all faiths have dodgy laws scattered throughout their teachings. None is better than any other.

But rational people ignore them and get on with living. Only those of malign intent take them to heart. If they act upon them and come into conflict with the law then we as citizens rely upon the law of the land to deal with them.

In my opinion even those who consider themselves rational have some pretty dodgy thoughts scattered throughout their minds.

Yes, "Holy Books" are all about interpretation. Some read them and are inspired to welcome the stranger and feed the hungry, others find justification for their hatreds and worse. I would now bin the lot of them but must admit to having found some sort of inspiration in the past.

Do you know what Gandhi said when asked what he thought of Western civilisation? "I think it would be a good idea."
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jul 07, 2020 @ 12:08:04
@Jennifer1984 Said

You are wrong. The lessons are still being taught. The situation was de-fused when the High Court ordered an exclusion zone around the school. The school won the argument. Why would they then stop carrying out the lessons that they had fought to preserve...?

I don't know what interview you're talking about but a link to some text of the interview or better still, a recording of the interview itself would sustain your argument but if you can't come up with anything then we only have your word for it that such a thing was said.

As for religious groups: I have no qualms or worries about religious groups of any stripe. As long as they obey the law, I take no interest in them.

For me, it is the law of the land that must be adhered to. I've been quite consistent in that all along. If any group, be they religious or secular, breaks the law in a manner that discriminates against, persecutes, offends or disadvantages ANYBODY then I would condemn it.

I would condemn it because doing such things are against the law.

If people conduct their faith in a manner that is lawful then that person has the freedom and liberty to follow it as they will.

With regard to religion itself, I do not know enough about Islam to criticise its tenets, but like all faiths, their holy book is open to interpretation. How some choose to interpret Islam is probably at variance to how others interpret it. If some choose to interpret it in order to justify crime on the basis of faith I would say they are wrong because the law supercedes religious belief in this country. Faith is not justification for crime.

Some years ago, certain Islamic clerics came into conflict with British authorities. One Abu Hamza became known as a "Hate Preacher". He was arrested and imprisoned because his sermons broke the law. He was later deported to USA where he was sentenced to life imprisonment on terrorism charges.

We will tolerate people of faith. We will tolerate them preaching their gospel. As long as they stay within the law, they can exercise their faith freely and without hindrance. What we will not tolerate is those who attempt to use their faith as a cover for crime.

I hope I make myself crystal clear. If you can't understand that, you can't understand anything.

On the subject of hateful religions though, how about these:

"Whoever curses his mother and father must be put to death."

"If a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night, her husband must put her to death."

"When a man has sexual intercourse with another man as with a woman, both men must be put to death."

"Every man or woman who is a medium or a psychic must be put to death. They must be stoned to death because they deserve to die.”

Where do we find these laws...? In the Koran..? In the teachings of some weird sect..? Nope. We find them in the Holy Bible. Book of Leviticus, to be precise.

Now, none of the things listed as offences above are against the law. A woman can have sex before marriage. it's entirely lawful. Homosexuality was de-criminalised in the 1960s. Psychics work quite lawfully. Name me a teenager who has never shouted at his or her parents at some time.

I laugh at Leviticus rather than condemn it because it is patently ridiculous. But to some it might be a justification for crimes against gay men, carnival mediums or stroppy adolescents.

So.......... when you talk of Islam as a religion of hate, remember, Christianity is no better.

There was an interview with a head teacher ( i wouldn't invent that ) where she said that she was asked to withdraw the 'no outsiders' lessons. But, that must have been before the court clamped down on the protests. I didn't realize the court had done that because i lost track of the story after a bit. I'm not usually one for stopping protests but some of the things they were saying were a bit shocking to say the least. Two examples being that they accused the school/s of promoting paedophillia and that they objected to the school telling their kids that homosexuality was acceptable. So, on balance i'm satisfied with the court clamping down on that nastiness. I agree with you about the christian bible's view of homosexuality etc but the difference is that christianity has pretty much been forced to back off when it comes to bigotry, whereas the other religion is being given a lot more leeway when it comes to catching up. I saw a documentary last year where a muslim school did an exchange with a regular school. One of the female muslim pupils said quite openly that her parents told her that the English were like pigs, so work needs to be done there. My belief is that we made a mistake when we stuffed people in certain areas rather than spread them out amongst the population. i know birds of a feather like to stick together but some communities are so different that it can become like a nation within a nation. While there are separate areas for different groups of immigrants then it will become ever more difficult to have integration. I am at the stage where i don't think we will ever get it right until we can all have a shared identity. The natural one would be Britishness, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'll finish this by saying that i do find it surprising that you are not more opposed to a religion that has such a dreadful attitude to women and the lgbt community, but i suppose i'm just going to have to accept that you see no threat there.

***edited to add quote tag. DT
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#34New Post! Jul 07, 2020 @ 13:59:18
The perfect world would be heaven or heaven on earth like from Revelation 21.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Jul 07, 2020 @ 15:46:54
@dookie Said

In my opinion even those who consider themselves rational have some pretty dodgy thoughts scattered throughout their minds.

Yes, "Holy Books" are all about interpretation. Some read them and are inspired to welcome the stranger and feed the hungry, others find justification for their hatreds and worse. I would now bin the lot of them but must admit to having found some sort of inspiration in the past.

Do you know what Gandhi said when asked what he thought of Western civilisation? "I think it would be a good idea."

The exact source of this quote, as is its wording, is not clear. Most believe he was asked what he thought of British civilisation. This was asked during his visit to Britain in 1931 when his appearance outraged Churchill who called him a "Semi naked little fakir". Nice.

But he was immensely popular with the workers of the factories he visited and among the working people of Britain in general.

I'm glad you quoted him though. He is one of the men I admire most in history and I'd love to see a statue erected to him in Britain.

Here are some more of his quotes:

"I object to violence because, when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary, the evil it does is permanent."

"Nonviolence is the first article of my faith. It is also the last article of my creed."

"Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary."

And this one I like very much........

"Civilization is that mode of conduct which points out to man the path of duty."
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#36New Post! Jul 18, 2020 @ 00:53:41
@Jennifer1984 Said

Take away the Muslim element of this and he wouldn't give a s*** about it.

That's why he is (accurately) accused of bigotry.

Except that I also attacked the RCC for their despicable child abusing ways, repeatedly said no one has any excuse for letting them (the Catholic hierarchy) get near a child etc., and attacked our animal loving friends here for saying eating Happy Meals and raping children were basically similar things (that went on for a couple of years and several hundred thousand words til they left).

I do not care who you are Jen, if you abuse a child you are a piece of s***. If you protect child abusers you are a piece of s***. If you minimise child abuse you are a piece of s***.

Just like we need to ask why the RCC has a significantly higher than average child abuse rate, so too, we need to ask it of the religion started by the guy who married a 6 year old girl, and whose adherents, despite making up a small minority of the British public account for over 80% of the type of crime they repeatedly seem to be involved in - just like not all Catholic priests are child abusers, so too, not all Muslims are child abusers. But there is a problem there.

As I keep saying, you need my motivation to be based on evil. But this need only speaks of you, not me.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#37New Post! Jul 18, 2020 @ 01:01:07
@offbeat Said

I wouldn't bother because she is doing what all apologists do when faced with an opposing argument, they try to shut it down! It never ceases to amaze me that the section of society that wouldn't be tolerated by those religeous zealots tend to view them as extremely misunderstood and benign. I do know one thing for sure though, if i was to start up a secular organization that had the same beliefs about women's rights and the rights of lgbt people as that religeous group has, then she would be out on the streets protesting against it. I wonder if it is respect for their invisible god or a fear of being physically harmed that stops them from criticising that religeous group.

Herd mentality, a lack of critical thought, a need for approval by others (especially in a broader social context) and abject cowardice are the major reasons for it from what I can tell.

Even the dead appear to swim as they go with the flow, but going against the tide of public opinion requires effort.
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#38New Post! Jul 18, 2020 @ 01:07:56
@Jennifer1984 Said

I don't have any real idea of what Utopia should be. Why should I..? All I try to do is make as decent a world as possible for my family and people I know and care about.

The thought that we can't say what we want is a fallacy. We can. We can say anything we like.

What we can't do is break the law with our free speech.

The government - bowing to the same "will of the people" and the exercising the same democratic process that Brexiters were so eager to defend as "sacrosanct" last year - have voted over the years, quite democratically, to pass certain laws that prohibit hatred and discrimination.

Liberty and the law of the land are not quite the same thing although generally they co-exist alongside each other. But when they do come into conflict, the law trumps liberty. Every time. And rightly so in my opinion.

Where the two come into conflict (eg: an individual wants to say something that contravenes the law) then the law will prevail. The law doesn't tell you "Don't say these words", it says "If you say these words, you will be penalised for it."

There is a strange idea that freedom of speech is freedom to say anything you like without consequence. This is not so and nor should it be. All wrong, harmful, hateful and discriminatory actions be they physical or verbal SHOULD have consequences.

I mostly find that the only people who buck against anti-hate legislation will generally:

a. Want to do hateful things.

b. Expect to get away with it by using flimsy excuses ("It was only a joke" ).

c. Get very angry about being penalised quite lawfully for... er.... breaking the law.

d. They will then claim they are law abiding and not hateful despite having demonstrated quite clearly that they aren't and they are.

Me...? I like to use my freedom of speech. I exercise it quite frequently as you may or may not have noticed. I'm doing it now. I'm not being hateful or discriminatory. I'm not breaking any law.

Overwhelmingly I like the law of the land. It does have some aspects that I don't like. For instance, I don't like the Snoopers Charter but I understand that if used correctly and not abused by the State, it is a useful tool in the fight against crime and terrorism.

I don't like the police having firearms units - I'd much rather we had a 100% unarmed police service. But I understand that some criminals use firearms and are extremely dangerous. Armed police units are a regrettable fact of life.

These are aspects of our society that I don't like, but this is the same society and law that allows me to go about my daily life in - generally - peace and liberty. It tolerates the Gay Pride festivals my wife and I love to attend - despite the hate and intolerance we still suffer from some sections of society.

It's the same law that changed to enable my wife and I to marry, something that was denied to us for so long. It was later changed to enable me to obtain the IVF treatment that I couldn't previously lawfully obtain, and has blessed me with a daughter whose future I am determined to do all I can to ensure.

We have GOOD law. We have a good society. We entrust the administration of both of these things to people who we believe will make us a humane and civilised country. We are a free people with liberties that need to be guarded and protected jealously.

And whether we like it or not, whether it suits our own personal aims and desires in any given situation, we ARE all subject to it equally.

Do as you will. That is your liberty. Use that liberty to break the law at your peril.

The problem with hate speech laws is how they are defined, who defines them, and how they are implemented.

The United Kuckdom is a great case in point. It is considered hateful to say "it is ok to be white," but it is not a hate crime to say, "white lives do not matter."

Or look at Australia - it is a hate crime to tell people the koran says non Muslims are not human, unless you are a Muslim telling other Muslims about it, then it is ok ("the most vile animals are they who disbelieve," "the disbelievers are the worst of beasts" )...

None of this will end well

And look at your own hateful speech towards Australians.

You have called me and Shadow fascists and hateful bigots, claimed we rejoice in innocent people being killed, we want the UK to burn because we are full of hate etc,. because we are typical Australians. Apart from being borderline psychotic and revealing of your own mental state, it is a type of thing you have never got from either me or Shadow in return.

What punishment should your hate speech lead to?

Now, how would you react to me saying that about a community that actually does have a problem with killing the innocent for ideological reasons? If I were to say, for example, "Muslims want the UK to burn because they are hateful bigots and they like it when innocent people are killed," is that hateful? Should it be a crime? What should the punishment be? It is a far more accurate statement than your claim about Australians. Does that make it more or less hateful, or is it the same?

What about if I say lesbians are violent, angry man hating child abusers who suffer psychosis and should never be allowed near a young boy..? Is that ok? If not, why is it fundamentally different to the psychotic drivel you have regularly spouted?

To give a real example, consider an actual quote from you that I have modified ever so slightly:

@Jennifer1984 Said

Oh, a Jew..... that explains everything. There is no group of people anywhere else on Earth who would be more happy to see Britain go to hell in a handbasket than Jews.

What is the difference between what you actually said, and the slight adjustment I made? And before you talk about race and power, I will remind you that the claim of a relationship between race and power comes from the original purveyors of "social justice" in Germany, c.1930. If you want to accuse your opponent of sounding like a Nazi, maybe it is not a good idea to parrot Nazi ideas as you do so. Jus' sayin'...
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#39New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 11:54:07
@offbeat Said

There was an interview with a head teacher ( i wouldn't invent that ) where she said that she was asked to withdraw the 'no outsiders' lessons. But, that must have been before the court clamped down on the protests. I didn't realize the court had done that because i lost track of the story after a bit. I'm not usually one for stopping protests but some of the things they were saying were a bit shocking to say the least. Two examples being that they accused the school/s of promoting paedophillia and that they objected to the school telling their kids that homosexuality was acceptable. So, on balance i'm satisfied with the court clamping down on that nastiness. I agree with you about the christian bible's view of homosexuality etc but the difference is that christianity has pretty much been forced to back off when it comes to bigotry, whereas the other religion is being given a lot more leeway when it comes to catching up. I saw a documentary last year where a muslim school did an exchange with a regular school. One of the female muslim pupils said quite openly that her parents told her that the English were like pigs, so work needs to be done there. My belief is that we made a mistake when we stuffed people in certain areas rather than spread them out amongst the population. i know birds of a feather like to stick together but some communities are so different that it can become like a nation within a nation. While there are separate areas for different groups of immigrants then it will become ever more difficult to have integration. I am at the stage where i don't think we will ever get it right until we can all have a shared identity. The natural one would be Britishness, but that doesn't seem to be working. I'll finish this by saying that i do find it surprising that you are not more opposed to a religion that has such a dreadful attitude to women and the lgbt community, but i suppose i'm just going to have to accept that you see no threat there.

***edited to add quote tag. DT

Hi mate... how are you going?
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 14:14:31
@bob_the_fisherman Said

What is the difference between what you actually said, and the slight adjustment I made? And before you talk about race and power, I will remind you that the claim of a relationship between race and power comes from the original purveyors of "social justice" in Germany, c.1930. If you want to accuse your opponent of sounding like a Nazi, maybe it is not a good idea to parrot Nazi ideas as you do so. Jus' sayin'...

Because your "slight adjustment" of what I wrote renders it invalid as a quotation. If you have a problem with anything an individual writes, you must quote them accurately and then state your argument, not manipulate their words to suit your own agenda.

Also, I don't "hate" Australians. I dislike AN Australian and that dislike is based entirely on his treatment of me in other areas of the site on occasions going back over a considerable period of time. It is an enmity I did not choose, but was begat by him with his historic sexism, homophobia and attitude.

I would bring the issue up with him again if he were still here, but it appears he has skulked away from the forum. But even then, if he were here, previous experience leads me to believe that he would admit no fault on his part and the enmity would continue. You waste your time if you try to take up the cudgels on that individuals part. I'm not going to get into third party arguments just because you think it might be a fruitful avenue of attack.

Your interpretation of what motivates certain laws is up to you. Personally, I find a lot of your thinking skewed... but at least I can credit you with being consistent. You don't deviate from your argument by one millimetre. But that can be interpreted as blinkered thinking. Take it as you wish. I don't mind either way.

Those laws regarding hate crime are what they are. They are made by the Parliament that you are so quick to claim is inviolable when it suits you (Brexit, for example). Parliament votes for Brexit so no deviation can be permitted. Parliament votes for hate crime laws and you condemn them because they restrict your freedom to act as you wish. Parliament is either sovereign or it isn't. You can't have both.

If you believe I have ever said anything that you consider contravenes any law, you can complain. That is your right and privilege. If you fail to do so, that's not my fault.

Put up or shut up.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 17:46:31
@bob_the_fisherman Said

Hi mate... how are you going?

i seem to be doing ok at the moment Bob, how are you?
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#42New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 23:49:04
@Jennifer1984 Said

Because your "slight adjustment" of what I wrote renders it invalid as a quotation. If you have a problem with anything an individual writes, you must quote them accurately and then state your argument, not manipulate their words to suit your own agenda.

All I did to your original quote was replace one group of people with another. The aim was to highlight precisely why hate crime legislation is bad.

@Jennifer1984 Said
Also, I don't "hate" Australians.

Whether we hate a group we speak of or not appears irrelevant in relation to hate crime legislation though. If it has to be demonstrated that a person hates a group for it to be a hate crime the law is even more absurd, as we have no way to know what a person feels. You claim that I hate Muslims but this is false. I hate certain ideas contained in the ideology, and I dislike those who engage in those ideas (terror, child abuse, oppressing women, slavery etc), but opposing crime should not be a criminal act.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Your interpretation of what motivates certain laws is up to you. Personally, I find a lot of your thinking skewed... but at least I can credit you with being consistent. You don't deviate from your argument by one millimetre. But that can be interpreted as blinkered thinking. Take it as you wish. I don't mind either way.

We adhere to a principle or we don't. Consistent application of an idea can be called blinkered, but then, we can also say that implementing law based on our idea of a person's moral virtue is not implementing law at all. I know which error I prefer to make.

@Jennifer1984 Said
Those laws regarding hate crime are what they are. They are made by the Parliament that you are so quick to claim is inviolable when it suits you (Brexit, for example). Parliament votes for Brexit so no deviation can be permitted. Parliament votes for hate crime laws and you condemn them because they restrict your freedom to act as you wish. Parliament is either sovereign or it isn't. You can't have both.

Did people in the UK vote for hate crime legislation in a referendum?

If not you compare incomparable things.

@Jennifer1984 Said
If you believe I have ever said anything that you consider contravenes any law, you can complain. That is your right and privilege. If you fail to do so, that's not my fault.

Put up or shut up.

I have zero interest in seeing hate laws used against political opponents or anyone else. They are terrible laws more akin to the inner workings of Germany in an era of past unpleasantness than a free society. My point was to highlight the absurdity and hypocrisy of such legislation.

I can't think of a time where those who wished to silence their political opponents were on the side of what is good. Can you?
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#43New Post! Jul 21, 2020 @ 23:53:11
@offbeat Said

i seem to be doing ok at the moment Bob, how are you?

Cold, but otherwise ok

Although I have to say I am not happy with the way our world is turning against ideas like liberty. It is hard to see it ending well.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#44New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 01:08:59
Hey Google send launch codes to my mother. The end
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#45New Post! Jul 22, 2020 @ 04:24:08
@bob_the_fisherman Said

All I did to your original quote was replace one group of people with another. The aim was to highlight precisely why hate crime legislation is bad.

It highlighted nothing. It was an absurd substitution which made no relevant point. It was merely an attempt to redirect the tenor of the discussion and force me to answer a false accusation.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Whether we hate a group we speak of or not appears irrelevant in relation to hate crime legislation though. If it has to be demonstrated that a person hates a group for it to be a hate crime the law is even more absurd, as we have no way to know what a person feels. You claim that I hate Muslims but this is false. I hate certain ideas contained in the ideology, and I dislike those who engage in those ideas (terror, child abuse, oppressing women, slavery etc), but opposing crime should not be a criminal act.

You are quite right in that we cannot know what a person feels and for that reason, the law can only make judgement on what a person says or what they do.

The legislation makes that point clear. You are not judged on what you think or feel, you are judged on what you say and do. The responsibility for restraint of word and deed is placed upon the speaker.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

We adhere to a principle or we don't. Consistent application of an idea can be called blinkered, but then, we can also say that implementing law based on our idea of a person's moral virtue is not implementing law at all. I know which error I prefer to make.

Adhering to principle is fine, but to attempt to divert every single topic, repeatedly, over and over and over goes beyond adherence to principle. It is obsession.

I do not subscribe to hate crime as a moral virtue. Your clear and obvious hatred of muslims is plain for all to see and attempts to disguise it as some sort of moral crusade is compromised by your refusal - when prompted - to acknowledge that similar, and often worse, crimes are committed by white people (how DO you feel about what Jimmy Saville did..? You've never answered that question) is one of the telling factors. Your only concern EVER is about muslims.

That makes your mindset pretty clear from where I sit.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

Did people in the UK vote for hate crime legislation in a referendum?

If not you compare incomparable things.

We have a referendum every five years. It's called a General Election. At no point has any major party that I know of campaigned on a ticket of repealing legislation on hate crime. If they did, people would vote on it.

A referendum result does not trump a General Election. Referenda in this country are ADVISORY. An electoral manifesto means that the party that gains power is obliged to act upon its pledge.

If a party stated in their manifesto that they would repeal hate crime legislation, and the people voted for it, then that legislation would have to be repealed. The only way that could be thwarted is if the government put the vote in the House of Commons to an Open Vote* (which means MP's would be entitled to vote with their conscience and suffer no consequences such as having their party whip withdrawn). Governments very seldom put manifesto pledges to open vote which means they always pass.

The people voted for the party manifesto. The motion must pass. Now, THAT is an example of Parliament obeying "The Will Of The People".....

The Brexit referendum was NOT the will of the people. It was the ADVICE of the people.

You don't know a great deal about Parliamentary procedure, do you..?

You criticise the law of the land but you have no idea how it is conceived or what processes are used to bring it about

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I have zero interest in seeing hate laws used against political opponents or anyone else. They are terrible laws more akin to the inner workings of Germany in an era of past unpleasantness than a free society. My point was to highlight the absurdity and hypocrisy of such legislation.

You may feel they are terrible laws... probably because they are the laws that have previously imprisoned your little tin god.... but whether you like them or not, they are the law.

There are laws I don't like but I accept them and do not break them.

@bob_the_fisherman Said

I can't think of a time where those who wished to silence their political opponents were on the side of what is good. Can you?

By 'political opponents' I get the feeling you are referring once more to YLTG. He is not a politician. He is not a journalist. Frankly, he is nothing but a piece of filth in my opinion. Barely worthy of the air he breathes. He stretches the definition of 'human being' to its fullest extent.

He has not been silenced. He is entitled to make his argument but he must do so within the law.... whether he, you or any of his minions like those laws. If he breaks them (and he has broken many) he will go to prison (the longer the duration the better).

Make your argument (on here is a good place) but do it lawfully. That is all that is required of anybody. And everybody is entitled to do it.

Nobody is being 'silenced' in the way you attempt to describe it.

* As has happened on the half dozen or so occasions when the restoration of the death penalty has been voted on. Those have always been Open Votes, which has resulted in huge defeats for the motion.

No party has ever campaigned on a manifesto pledge to restore the death penalty. Probably because they know there is no desire for it across the broad spread of the populace. A few noisy extremist groups and a few hardcore Tory MP's favour it, but all parties view a restoration ticket is an electoral suicide pill.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs