Politics

A NEW illegal immigration bill?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#1New Post! Mar 28, 2010 @ 22:43:21
Washington will shortly be fesolving the "illegal immigration" problen.
Two yearas ago, 2007, Homeland Security's Inspector General said immigration authorities expected that most of the 300,000 illegal and legal immigrants eligible to be deported would be released. Federal officials said that they would need 34,000 additional beds at a cost of $1.1billion to detain and remove all of them."
WHAT ILLOGICAL THINKING! Better to use that fund to lease a fleet of cargo planes and move the deportees from the pen to the plane and to their home country.
Then take a step back to those illegals and "legal" immigrants who lost their bid to remain and who are still serving their time in prison.
This should be done before Washington begins to write a :comprehensive bill on illegal immigrants, I suhggest they initiate the above.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#2New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 01:25:15
https://www.borderinvasionpics.com/

Yeah - it's like this - not good. Not good by half.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#3New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 01:28:36
Graham - Schumer 'framework' proposal - https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031703115.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

We would require all U.S. citizens and legal immigrants who want jobs to obtain a high-tech, fraud-proof Social Security card. Each card's unique biometric identifier would be stored only on the card; no government database would house everyone's information. The cards would not contain any private information, medical information or tracking devices. The card would be a high-tech version of the Social Security card that citizens already have.

Prospective employers would be responsible for swiping the cards through a machine to confirm a person's identity and immigration status. Employers who refused to swipe the card or who otherwise knowingly hired unauthorized workers would face stiff fines and, for repeat offenses, prison sentences.

We propose a zero-tolerance policy for gang members, smugglers, terrorists and those who commit other felonies after coming here illegally. We would bolster recent efforts to secure our borders by increasing the Border Patrol's staffing and funding for infrastructure and technology. More personnel would be deployed to the border immediately to fill gaps in apprehension capabilities.

Other steps include expanding domestic enforcement to better apprehend and deport those who commit crimes and completing an entry-exit system that tracks people who enter the United States on legal visas and reports those who overstay their visas to law enforcement databases.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 05:09:30
this is sooooo preposterous! How did it come to this anyways? Don't think the fixes are as simple as they sound, though.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#5New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 05:44:16
The only implausible implementation that I see is the the last one.

I can well see us putting many more Border Guards on the line. Lots of people need work. Pretty good use of dollars in my book.

It's going to be ugly as hell. At least they didn't come up with yet another amnesty program.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#6New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 05:46:03
@DuLu Said

How did it come to this anyways?

Non enforcement of the existing immigration laws and 'sanctuary' zones.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#7New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 15:50:40
@Patt Said

Graham - Schumer 'framework' proposal - https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/17/AR2010031703115.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

We would require all U.S. citizens and legal immigrants who want jobs to obtain a high-tech, fraud-proof Social Security card. Each card's unique biometric identifier would be stored only on the card; no government database would house everyone's information. The cards would not contain any private information, medical information or tracking devices. The card would be a high-tech version of the Social Security card that citizens already have.

Prospective employers would be responsible for swiping the cards through a machine to confirm a person's identity and immigration status. Employers who refused to swipe the card or who otherwise knowingly hired unauthorized workers would face stiff fines and, for repeat offenses, prison sentences.

We propose a zero-tolerance policy for gang members, smugglers, terrorists and those who commit other felonies after coming here illegally. We would bolster recent efforts to secure our borders by increasing the Border Patrol's staffing and funding for infrastructure and technology. More personnel would be deployed to the border immediately to fill gaps in apprehension capabilities.

Other steps include expanding domestic enforcement to better apprehend and deport those who commit crimes and completing an entry-exit system that tracks people who enter the United States on legal visas and reports those who overstay their visas to law enforcement databases.

Beat you to it by a few years!
This letter was written to President Carter when the problem of illegal aliens was prominently in the news.
Jimmy Carter Aug. 16, 1977
President U, S. A.

Sir,

As you so well know, the Federal and State Governments have made the entry of illegal aliens into this country a profitable venture for many of its citizens and a hell hole for many of the illegal aliens ( blackmail)
Before any law is passed by Congress, (a slow process) I suggest that you use your office to enact an Executive Order to establish a baseline for acceptance of illegal alien residency.
Have a computer size card prepared requiring minimum pertinent information to identify the alien with his thumb print (or fore finger). Provide a time limit to fill out the forms. THEY must be controlled!
The Executive Order must include a paragraph specifically stating that the time for filing will be a short time of amnesty for the alien, TRUCE!

Until this step is taken, Mr. President, your proposal will have no chance of success. Additional verbiage would be redundant.
Respectfully,
Wash Kostinko
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#8New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 16:12:01
Wow.. a high tech fraud proof social security card for 300 million plus people in America, plus a machine that can tell if they're real or not at every business in America..

Plus extra border patrols and more technology..

Wonder where the money for that is going to come from???

And who the hell does the government think that it is to try to fine someone because they decide not to follow a mandate that the government sets? They're talking about taking away our freedoms through unjust taxes.
Katt On July 28, 2011

, Florida
#9New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 16:33:23
The same people that just mandated everyone have insurance or be fined if they don't.. Same gang, different legislation, legislation you appear to be opposed to because it mandates something..

Pot meet kettle..
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#10New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:26:12
@boxerdc Said

Wow.. a high tech fraud proof social security card for 300 million plus people in America, plus a machine that can tell if they're real or not at every business in America..

Plus extra border patrols and more technology..

Wonder where the money for that is going to come from???

And who the hell does the government think that it is to try to fine someone because they decide not to follow a mandate that the government sets? They're talking about taking away our freedoms through unjust taxes.

@Katt Said

The same people that just mandated everyone have insurance or be fined if they don't.. Same gang, different legislation, legislation you appear to be opposed to because it mandates something..

Pot meet kettle..

Posted to incite - pretty much a poke for a poke's sake. You can't take him seriously Kat.

Especially since his argument fails because the mandate imposed in the health care legislation is against actual citizens as opposed to illegal aliens.

Totally different groups - those who belong and those who don't.

I'm all up on the idea of imposing freaking mandates on people who aren't supposed to be here in the first damned place.

After all, we already have a process they are supposed to follow - they don't - screw 'em - kick 'em to the curb and then toss their asses back over the border. Once they decide to follow the rules and apply as necessary, then I'd be fine with opening the door with a welcoming smile. Until then - I just don't give a s*** about them, their families, their plight, their hopes or their dreams.

And, I'm in the majority in that.
_abnormalmind_ On January 04, 2013

Central Florida, Florida
#11New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:33:15
Fraud proof + technology = impossible

No such thing. It's a pipe dream.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#12New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:36:34
@_abnormalmind_ Said

No it's not.. I'm sure that if we put ten times as much money into it as Reagan wanted to put into star wars that it will be at least 95% effective.
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#13New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:37:42
@WASH Said

Beat you to it by a few years!
This letter was written to President Carter when the problem of illegal aliens was prominently in the news.
Jimmy Carter Aug. 16, 1977
President U, S. A.

Sir,

As you so well know, the Federal and State Governments have made the entry of illegal aliens into this country a profitable venture for many of its citizens and a hell hole for many of the illegal aliens ( blackmail)
Before any law is passed by Congress, (a slow process) I suggest that you use your office to enact an Executive Order to establish a baseline for acceptance of illegal alien residency.
Have a computer size card prepared requiring minimum pertinent information to identify the alien with his thumb print (or fore finger). Provide a time limit to fill out the forms. THEY must be controlled!
The Executive Order must include a paragraph specifically stating that the time for filing will be a short time of amnesty for the alien, TRUCE!

Until this step is taken, Mr. President, your proposal will have no chance of success. Additional verbiage would be redundant.
Respectfully,
Wash Kostinko

I too write to our Presidents - LOL - good to see I'm not alone.

Funny that you should bring this up. Here's something that I found quite interesting when it comes to the damned amnesty programs, they don't discourage illegal immigration over time, ergo we shouldn't try that yet again. Too often we've done this, spent money and have gotten a net zero sum gain. I'm glad to see there is an approach not chock full of 'I feel your pain' this time.

Establishing the effect of an amnesty program on unauthorized immigration is important for several reasons. First, the number of illegal immigrants present in the United States is substantial. An estimated 7 to 8.5 million immigrants?including 3.9 to 4.5 million mexicans? were illegally present in the United States in 2000, and the annual net flow of undocumented immigrants is estimated at 275,000 Porter, 2001; Immigration and Naturalization Service, 2000). It is generally believed that undocumented immigrants have lower skill levels, on average, than other immigrants (Fix and Passel, 1994; Tienda and Singer, 1995); this is partly because most undocumented immigrants are from Mexico and, more recently, other Latin American countries, which have low average levels of education. The negative effects of immigration on natives? labor market outcomes are generally believed to be concentrated among high school dropouts, so an additional influx of low-skilled immigrants could have adverse effects on some natives (Borjas, Freeman and Katz, 1997).2 Larger flows of low-skilled immigrants may also exacerbate income inequality and impose fiscal burdens on state and local governments (Smith and Edmonston, 1997).

[...]

We do not find that IRCA stimulated illegal immigration in the hopes of receiving amnesty, but we also do not find that the law discouraged undocumented migration in the long run.

Download the paper at one click download - it's a very good read covering amnesty from 86 on to today. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=289948
Patt On May 05, 2010
NOT a Mafia Don

Deleted
Banned

Home,
#14New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 17:43:12
@_abnormalmind_ Said

Yeah, but did you notice that employers would be hit with jail time eventually as penalties move from civil to criminal?

That's new, isn't it? And welcomed - at least by me.
_abnormalmind_ On January 04, 2013

Central Florida, Florida
#15New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 18:36:32
@boxerdc Said

No it's not.. I'm sure that if we put ten times as much money into it as Reagan wanted to put into star wars that it will be at least 95% effective.

@Patt Said

Yeah, but did you notice that employers would be hit with jail time eventually as penalties move from civil to criminal?

That's new, isn't it? And welcomed - at least by me.

I didn't notice it, which would be a welcomed change. We as a nation need to stop this underground employment system. I hope Arizona's trespassing law is upheld, because it's an innovate (state) solution.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs