A Decent Bloke, Flash 'Arry And Some Total Numpties

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 04, 2012 @ 10:37:58
@Jennifer1984 Said

Actually, I feel sorry for the supporters of Tottenham Hotspur FC. Ever since their man was anointed by the press as England-Manager-In-Waiting, Spurs have been doing a pretty fair impression of a one team tribute to the Titanic.

Perhaps it's all in the mind. Perhaps it's coincidence. Perhaps Harry, like so many of us, believed the hype and was dragged down by the weight of expectation. The fact remains that Spurs have been awful ever since Fabio Capello resigned.

Yes because 4th in the premiership, with the possibility of securing a Champions League ahead of 2 of the big 5 (Liverpool and Chelsea) is awful.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 05:37:29
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Yes because 4th in the premiership, with the possibility of securing a Champions League ahead of 2 of the big 5 (Liverpool and Chelsea) is awful.

Considering Spurs were streets ahead of anybody else in third place, and were even touting themselves as potential Premiership Champions when Capello resigned, yes, it is. It started when Manchester City beat them at the Etihad, then continued as Arsenal gave them a mauling at the Emirates (ouch..!!). They slumped alarmingly... there is no other word for it and the fact that they are still in with a shot at 4th place at all is merely testimony to the lead they had in hand, to fall back on when it all went bonkywink.

Imagine how they will feel now, if they secure 4th place, and then don't achieve the holy grail of a place in the Champions League because Chelsea win it in a couple of weeks time, and take England's fourth place next season as defending holders.

Oh dear..... that really will be awful.

jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 07:30:14
I've no idea why so many people wanted Redknapp, he has only ever been successful at clubs that give him huge budgets so he can buy good players, that luxury wouldn't be afforded to him at England and he's completely unproven at international level. Don't understand why the English love him so much.
croscollectibles On July 05, 2012

Singapore, Singapore
#6New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 14:37:49
I love you guys who have so much in depth of soccer happening. Soccer is such a intricate games which i consider unequal. Amazing is the key word which inspire so many around the world, not only the players but also the soccer fans alike. I would say it does create frustration, disappointment but best excitement. Soccer has improve through the years with so many superstars emerging. Individual best will become second best and the team champion will be recorded in History.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 15:22:39
I hope his first job is to get rid of John Terry, the biggest t*** in football. Can't stand that man.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

Stockport, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 16:09:44
Given that international football in this country is a dead duck, who cares who gets the job? the players don't care a hoot about England and neither does the premier league. Look how many talented Scottish managers there are in the PL and then look how Scotland do? Even under Fergie Scotland struggled in '86. Face it, it's the champions league that matters now. Time to accept that and forgot about the WC and the Euro's
Has Tiger Blood

#9New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 17:23:37
@Jennifer1984 Said

Considering Spurs were streets ahead of anybody else in third place, and were even touting themselves as potential Premiership Champions when Capello resigned, yes, it is. It started when Manchester City beat them at the Etihad, then continued as Arsenal gave them a mauling at the Emirates (ouch..!!). They slumped alarmingly... there is no other word for it and the fact that they are still in with a shot at 4th place at all is merely testimony to the lead they had in hand, to fall back on when it all went bonkywink.

Imagine how they will feel now, if they secure 4th place, and then don't achieve the holy grail of a place in the Champions League because Chelsea win it in a couple of weeks time, and take England's fourth place next season as defending holders.

Oh dear..... that really will be awful.

The fact the highest they have ever finished has been 4th and that was only on one occasion previously shows that they are not having an awful season. Regardless of if Chelsea win or not, that should not derail the progress Tottenham have made in recent years to get them there or there about among the top clubs.

I find it funny you seem to target Tottenham for possibly finishing 4th but I have never seen a Manchester City playing awful post, despite them spending hundreds of millions over the past years and only just having a real opportunity at winning the Premiership.
MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 17:38:00
@boobear Said

I hope his first job is to get rid of John Terry, the biggest t*** in football. Can't stand that man.

Fair point. But who would take his place? Lets hope they never, ever play Andy Carrol again.
Has Tiger Blood

#11New Post! May 05, 2012 @ 17:50:45
@boobear Said

To be honest I can see this European Cup being the last major competition for country. While there are a few off pitch incidents and a few other incidents I can't and wont agree with, he is possibly the best central defender England has at the moment. I don't think Cahill, Shawcross or any of the young defenders emerging are quite there if I am honest.

@MAW Said

Fair point. But who would take his place? Lets hope they never, ever play Andy Carrol again.

They'd never play Andy Carrol in defence, him being a Striker.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 07, 2012 @ 15:18:13
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

The fact the highest they have ever finished has been 4th and that was only on one occasion previously shows that they are not having an awful season. Regardless of if Chelsea win or not, that should not derail the progress Tottenham have made in recent years to get them there or there about among the top clubs.

I find it funny you seem to target Tottenham for possibly finishing 4th but I have never seen a Manchester City playing awful post, despite them spending hundreds of millions over the past years and only just having a real opportunity at winning the Premiership.

I didn't say they'd had a bad season, I said their form had collapsed since Redknapp became associated with the England post. I do wish you would take the trouble to read what is said, and not simply complain about something that isn't there.

OK.... if it makes you happy.... Spurs will do wonderfully well to finish fourth. Is that better..? <rolls eyes upwards>.

As for Manchester City... Well, they have been the best team in the Premiership this season by a country mile. They have had their difficulties with Tevez and Balotelli and those things were disruptive enough, but for my money, it was when Yaya Toure went off to play in the African Cup of Nations that they had their worst period.

Toure has been their biggest ace, and those who carped about the amount of money spent to bring him to Eastlands, and the size of his wages must, after the last two games, admit that he is the very pulse of this City team.

Yes, Manchester City have bought a lot of players. So what..? It's not as if United have never done that. Schmeichal Van Nistelrooy, Ince, Keane, Stam, Sheringham, Yorke, Ronaldo, de Gaea, Berbatov, Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand....... Shall I go on..? I could name a similar number of players who were bought by Chelsea and Arsenal if I tried.

City aren't doing anything to achieve success that United, Blackburn, Arsenal and Chelsea (in other words, all the clubs who have their name on the Premiership trophy) haven't done so why single City out for criticism..?

Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! May 07, 2012 @ 15:39:28
@MAW Said

Given that international football in this country is a dead duck, who cares who gets the job? the players don't care a hoot about England and neither does the premier league. Look how many talented Scottish managers there are in the PL and then look how Scotland do? Even under Fergie Scotland struggled in '86. Face it, it's the champions league that matters now. Time to accept that and forgot about the WC and the Euro's

I don't think internantional football is a dead duck, it's just swamped by the sheer selfishness of the supporters of the top clubs, and the relentless promotion of the Sky Sports juggernaut continuously pushing the Premiership and Champions League in our faces.

It's only the clubs who achieve Champions League status who say it is "more important", and that's because they're in it. They command the most attention, get most of the press coverage, all of the money and more prime time live TV than anybody else. Impressionable youngsters who look no further than their TV screen to tell them what to watch just go with the flow.

Players, lured by money beyond the wildest dreams of avarice, would kill and eat their own children to be involved in it. The relentless push, push, push of the television machine gives this competition, which is nothing less than a European Super League for the benefit of a few elite clubs. a veneer of importance way beyond what it should have.

But ask any player, in his lucid moments, if really.... deep down... he'd like to be a World Champion. Ask those players who have won a World Cup or their respective continental championship how they felt when they won it.

Wayne Rooney has a Champions League medal already. He may even get another one whilst at Old Trafford, but he'll never get what Bobby Charlton has got. A World Cup. His career will always be lacking something, and he'll know it. Nearly 50 years on, English fans still revere the "Boys of '66". Bobby Charlton, the "White Knight" of English football, is still held in the highest esteem wherever he goes. But when he's in his old age, who will remember Wayne Rooney..?

A Champions League medal makes you a winner today. A world cup makes you immortal.

Those fans at the elite clubs can shrug off international football as irrelevant now, but already, Liverpool are becoming a fading memory in the ECL and their fans are suffering. How long after the departure of Messrs Wenger and Ferguson will it take for that to happen to Arsenal and United..? It can't happen, you say...? Oh, can't it..?

What for their fans then..? They'll whistle a different tune, that's what.

MAW On October 31, 2012

Deleted

#14New Post! May 07, 2012 @ 15:45:18
Ask the supporters, deep down, which was a better game, the WC final of 2011 or the Manchester Utd. vs Barcelona Champions league final. By far the better game.
I watched the 2010 WC final and I'm glad England didn't win that. How could you feel pride after all the dreadful matches that had preceded it?
Face it, English players don't seem to have much enthusiasm for the World cup these days. It was all down him after the PL was formed. Yet the irony was the FA said England would do better in world cups after the formation of the PL
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#15New Post! May 07, 2012 @ 15:54:28
@MAW Said

Ask the supporters, deep down, which was a better game, the WC final of 2011 or the Manchester Utd. vs Barcelona Champions league final. By far the better game.
I watched the 2010 WC final and I'm glad England didn't win that. How could you feel pride after all the dreadful matches that had preceded it?
Face it, English players don't seem to have much enthusiasm for the World cup these days. It was all down him after the PL was formed. Yet the irony was the FA said England would do better in world cups after the formation of the PL

The FA reckoned without realising what a monster they had created. Once they sold football's soul to mammon, it was never going to be about the game anymore.

Yep, the WC final of 2010 was dross... a spectacle ruined by a cynical Holland team who disgraced the tradition bequeathed to them by their illustrious forebears. But that doesn't make the competition irrelevant.

I don't think England can win.... or even compete effectively.... in any international competition all the time the Premiership is driven by Sky Sports. But who knows... they may decide, one day, to stop financing English football and take their money elsewhere. When that happens, the flow of big money imports will stop coming here to exploit the English game. Future generations of English players can flourish again and so what if we don't win any more Champion's Leagues. Some time in the wilderness, until our home grown players raise their standards, won't do us any harm.

English football's current base is built entirely on television money. That's a very fragile foundation. If that money ever stops flowing in........

When the English game becomes "English" again, it will go into decline for a while, 'tis true, but it will recover in time. In England, there will always be football.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs