News & Current Events

93 Year Old Texas Woman killed by police officer

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 03:19:12
CNN reports on a Texas police officer who is defending his decision to fatally shoot a 93 year old woman after responding to a call in which she was brandishing a .38 revolver.

Quote:
A police officer who fatally shot a 93-year-old woman at her home in Texas is defending his use of deadly force and lashing out at the City Council that fired him.

Stephen Stem was dismissed from the Hearne Police Department on Saturday. He argues his termination was unjust.

Apparently the woman was advised three times to put down the weapon and failed to comply. There is no mention in this article but other sources I've read say that it's unclear at this time whether her weapon was discharged prior to the police officer responding with deadly force. The person I heard about this from said that he had heard somewhere that her gun did go off just before she was shot, but the Texas Rangers are investigating it and the case is going to a grand jury to see if they will return an indictment.
NZMonkeyMan On July 04, 2020

Chch, New Zealand
#2New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 09:26:32

Walker will fix it.

But on a serious note, can't make a call on it. Unless we were there we will never know what happened.

If the weapon was discharged and the officer reacted with deadly force it's understandable.

I read somewhere however this was the 2nd person the cop had shot since he joined the service in 2012
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 09:30:38
@NZMonkeyMan Said

Walker will fix it.

But on a serious note, can't make a call on it. Unless we were there we will never know what happened.

If the weapon was discharged and the officer reacted with deadly force it's understandable.

I read somewhere however this was the 2nd person the cop had shot since he joined the service in 2012

Well, we can't make a call on it yet. Truth is, it will be known what happened after the full investigation. My initial reaction is that he didn't act outside the law but I don't know from what's available at the moment. A person's age really doesn't weigh into whether or not he or she ought to be considered dangerous when waving a gun around and ignoring orders to drop it.

I also had seen that this was his second shooting, the first was under very different circumstances and he was cleared by a grand jury in that case.

We'll see what happens...
NZMonkeyMan On July 04, 2020

Chch, New Zealand
#4New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 09:33:09
@Eaglebauer Said

Well, we can't make a call on it yet. Truth is, it will be known what happened after the full investigation. My initial reaction is that he didn't act outside the law but I don't know from what's available at the moment. A person's age really doesn't weigh into whether or not he or she ought to be considered dangerous when waving a gun around and ignoring orders to drop it.

I also had seen that this was his second shooting, the first was under very different circumstances and he was cleared by a grand jury in that case.

I like your belief in the Legal system chief!

I would hope it will. As long as there are eye witnesses etc then I guess it will.
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 10:22:17
If she was waving a weapon around and did not respond to requests to put it down then she's a danger to other people, no matter what age!
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#6New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 11:30:15
Interesting. Sad story. I'm not sure the whole council would knee-jerk re-act based only on the woman's age- but who knows. We'll have to see what the details turn up.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#7New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 17:53:04
If anyone, regardless of age, is in possession of a weapon and fails to ignore police when asked to put down said weapon, they will be shot and police are trained to use deadly force.

If she had a weapon and did not put it down, the police did nothing wrong.

People cry foul because of her age. Her age does not matter. Feeling have nothing to do with laws and the police shooting someone.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#8New Post! May 12, 2014 @ 22:25:12
When you shoot at policeman, a lot of times, they are going to shoot back. You are no less dead when an old lady shoots you than when a young one does. There must be something we are not being told.

Maybe she was wearing a hoodie...

sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#9New Post! May 14, 2014 @ 18:19:10
@Eaglebauer Said

I would think due to her age, that might make her more dangerous.

If the gun did go off accidentally, her being old, and I'm assuming, frail; the bullet may have come very close to the officer; he may have just reacted in the heat of the moment.

Sad story though. To live life to that age, just to go like that...
Why on earth was she wielding a gun in the first place?? (rhetorical)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs