The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

9/11 A day to reflect upon why we were attacked?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#1New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 13:46:46
My son told me that this year on Sept. 11, instead of the usual video presentation remembering and grieving the victims, his school showed a presentation which examined the attack from the perspective of the Arab world.

I suppose it's all well and good to learn about the mindset of those who hate the United States but is it appropriate to do this on 9/11?

I wonder if other school districts also introduced this sort of presentation to their students. If that be the case then I also have to wonder if the controversy over Obama addressing the school children diverted everyone's attention from something which I find much more insidious.

September 11 is a day to memorialize the dead not a day to blame America and sympathize with her enemies.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 13:49:11
@Paradigm10 Said

My son told me that this year on Sept. 11, instead of the usual video presentation remembering and grieving the victims, his school showed a presentation which examined the attack from the perspective of the Arab world.

I suppose it's all well and good to learn about the mindset of those who hate the United States but is it appropriate to do this on 9/11?

I wonder if other school districts also introduced this sort of presentation to their students. If that be the case then I also have to wonder if the controversy over Obama addressing the school children diverted everyone's attention from something which I find much more insidious.

September 11 is a day to memorialize the dead not a day to blame America and sympathize with her enemies.

so what ws the perspective of the Arab world?? out of curiosity??
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 13:55:25
@Paradigm10 Said

Hmm. Agreed.

I have questions about why 9/11 occurred, but kids in school should not be faced with examining that on 9/11 of any year, IMO.
little1 On July 17, 2011

London Town, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 14:32:03
I think education is very important aspect that needs to be encouraged. The youth of today need to understand the faults of generations past on both sides. We're all different and need to respect these differences if we're going to get along. Teaching the young about our world is first step forward.

I do believe that schools should teach about the mindset of the extremist but I don't think it should be done on a day of national/ world day of mourning. 9/11 should be a day when we remember the innocent lives lost.

Questions will always be asked and should a child wish to breach the topic of the terrorist, I think it comes down to the teacher to answer these questions as best they can but sure none of the other children in the class will be affected.
Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#5New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 16:07:54
@Paradigm10 Said

Agreed!
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#6New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 17:36:07
Hope they also explained very carefully that not all people that are Islamic are Terrorists therefore not their enemies. Just the extremists and there are those in every culture and religion in the world.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#7New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 17:52:17
@Paradigm10 Said

teaching the perspective of the terrorists doesnt necessarily equal blaming america... i agree that 9/11 should be a day of remembrance, but there are a lot of hours in that day; you can remember the dead and still have time to examine what brought about their tragedy... i think its a great step forward that kids are being taught more than the american aspect of the attack; in the future they will have a more rounded understanding of the why and how of the attack, and when they become our leaders we will better equipped for it...
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 18:02:07
I think I'd have a talk with the teacher, or the school!

Houston,
#9New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 18:24:52
@lilbear Said

Hope they also explained very carefully that not all people that are Islamic are Terrorists therefore not their enemies. Just the extremists and there are those in every culture and religion in the world.

Yes, and while they're at it, they could explain why tens of thousands Muslims round the world from Tehran to the Gaza strip were literally dancing in the streets.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#10New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 20:45:42
@Charlemagne Said

Yes, and while they're at it, they could explain why tens of thousands Muslims round the world from Tehran to the Gaza strip were literally dancing in the streets.

Not going there for you've obviously put them all in one basket already.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 20:52:08
@Paradigm10 Said

I think there's a time and a place to be honest. It may have been apt at the time, but they could have covered it in the weeks after September 11th rather than on the day itself, out of respect.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#12New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 20:53:21
@Paradigm10 Said

sympathize with her enemies.

And who would that be?

More than half the people flying those planes came from Saudi Arabia, they have a direct link with the 9/11 terriorists... but we invaded Iraq a enemy of Saudi Arabia... so... did we just assist our enemies with attacking thier neighbor?

Houston,
#13New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 20:57:28
@lilbear Said

Not going there for you've obviously put them all in one basket already.

No, not all. I remain convinced that by and large practicing Muslims are a significant threat to Western ideals primarily due to the political, militaristic and expansionist ideology of Islam itself.
doubtingthomas On April 26, 2010
Jesus is my homie

Monterey, California
#14New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 22:15:02
@Charlemagne Said

No, not all. I remain convinced that by and large practicing Muslims are a significant threat to Western ideals primarily due to the political, militaristic and expansionist ideology of Islam itself.

Did you recieve this extensive knowlege of "A large practicing" group of muslims from your life in Huston TX?

As point of fact, the opposet of what your saying is actualy true. Read the Koran, it obhors violence. Just like the bible does. But that doesn't stop people from taking selected quotes and twisting thier meanings.

Would you say the church Jim Johnes founded is a good representation of Christianty? I'm thinking no.

Well the Koran has just as many factions and strange interpretations.

Now unless you have sort of degree in the history of the Koran or are a student of all sects of the Koran... I don't think you have any grounds to say what "a large group" of islam is thinking at any given time.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#15New Post! Sep 15, 2009 @ 22:36:22
@doubtingthomas Said

And who would that be?

More than half the people flying those planes came from Saudi Arabia, they have a direct link with the 9/11 terriorists... but we invaded Iraq a enemy of Saudi Arabia... so... did we just assist our enemies with attacking thier neighbor?

Yes! We sent our troops to Saudi Arabia when Sadam invaded Kuwait and was preparing to invade the Saudis. Washington dir it again aftrer 9/11
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs