News & Current Events

5 year old may face murder charges ,,,,

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 08:36:01
Are the people involved in law enforcement in Kansas City ,brain dead or something ?

Kansas,girl , 5, may face murder charges in drowning

Suspect in KC toddler’s drowning death is a 5-year-old girl

Quote:
an adult left a 16-year-old girl, who reportedly has mental disabilities, in charge of several younger children, including Jermane, so the adult could pick up a relative of Jermane’s at a bus stop.

Yes, I realise that some 5 year old kids are pretty spoiled an mean acting when they are annoyed . But at 5 years old they don't have any idea how ' permanent' death is.
Then there's the babysitter sleeping though a baby crying so much and so long that a toddler can get him into a bathtub . Anyone that has ever spent any time around small children knows that the 5 year old would be yelling at the baby to shut up the whole time she was dragging him into the bathroom and then into the tub . The baby's cries and the 5 year old yelling would be a whole lot of noise .

The 5 year old does need some counsling to help her understand what has happened , but IMO it's the adults that left the children with a mentally disabled teenager that should be facing any charges that are brought against anyone in this case.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 08:38:19
Can someone of 5 years of age be held legally responsible in the USA?

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 08:57:44
@jmo Said

Can someone of 5 years of age be held legally responsible in the USA?

Quote:

A national expert said cases involving a 5-year-old homicide suspect are extremely rare — so rare that statistics are hard to find. Available FBI data show that the agency started tracking homicide suspects from age 5 to 8 in 2006. Since then, just three suspects have been counted in that category.

Some states have minimum ages at which children are assumed to have criminal responsibility. Missouri does not have a set minimum age, but Marquez said the age officials typically use is around 9 or 10, although each case is unique. Officials consider the child’s history, age and crime before making a decision, she said.

This is taken from the second link . It is all I can find on the subject
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 09:19:59
They cannot seriously be trying to convict a 5 year old. That's outrageous.

I don't know whether I've just been reading the wrong stories but at the moment it seems like the US has gone completely crazy. There was a story where they were trying to try a 12 year old as an adult for murder when he came from a very damaged back ground and appeared to be quite disturbed.

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:37:25
@angelcake Said

They cannot seriously be trying to convict a 5 year old. That's outrageous.

I don't know whether I've just been reading the wrong stories but at the moment it seems like the US has gone completely crazy. There was a story where they were trying to try a 12 year old as an adult for murder when he came from a very damaged back ground and appeared to be quite disturbed.

It's frickin ridiculouse as hell. Maybe the lawyers se an open and shut case , ie; easy money ... you know, the little five year old did 'confess'
It's a pretty sorry system that will investagate a child of five and not the adults .
Is it that kid in Florida you are talking about ? Or is there another one now ?
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 10:50:23
I can't remember where the child was just in the US somewhere. I know they wanted to treat him like an adult because he posed a risk to the public. To me that just says if we lock it away it's ok.

These are children. They aren't evil. They've been failed by the adults around them and it's not their fault they were failed.

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 11:01:50
@angelcake Said

I can't remember where the child was just in the US somewhere. I know they wanted to treat him like an adult because he posed a risk to the public. To me that just says if we lock it away it's ok.

These are children. They aren't evil. They've been failed by the adults around them and it's not their fault they were failed.

I agree .
A child or minor isn't considered an adult untill they reach 18 years of age, they can'tlegally drink until 21 years of age , but may be tried as an adult while still attending grade school or as in this case before school aged . What's wrong with this picture??
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 11:57:41
What's baffeling is that the five year old knew what she was doing. LOL cheesy line anyone? But it's true. She knew that if she put the baby in the bathtub it would stop crying.. so she knew about death, maybe not permanent but knew enough.

I don't have kids but I wouldn't think a five year old would know "how to kill" someone. Sure they would know what dying and death is for the most part, but not how to go about doing that.

Anyways, I doubt that they will charge the five year old with murder but who knows, seven year olds have records these days.
Britt_mum1_09 On November 03, 2011

Hanover area, Canada
#9New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:38:51
that is absolutely ridiculous! Maybe the 5 year old was simply trying to soothe the baby with a warm bath or something, like they seen a parent doing? I really can't see a 5 year old having the mental capacity to intentionally kill someone. The fact that a judge/police are looking to a child for taking responsibility is absolutely disgusting. They should be looking at the adults that were SUPPOSED to be in charge, where the hell were they??

n/a, New Mexico
#10New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:39:55
@boobagins Said

What's baffeling is that the five year old knew what she was doing. LOL cheesy line anyone? But it's true. She knew that if she put the baby in the bathtub it would stop crying.. so she knew about death, maybe not permanent but knew enough.

I don't have kids but I wouldn't think a five year old would know "how to kill" someone. Sure they would know what dying and death is for the most part, but not how to go about doing that.

Anyways, I doubt that they will charge the five year old with murder but who knows, seven year olds have records these days.

The way the system is I wouldn't be surprised if they charged her , but I doubt there would be any incarceration . What I find 'baffling' is that law enforcement would even think about bringing charges against a child of 5 and not mention anything about the caregivers / adults that were responsible for an 18 month old , 5 year old and 'other children' in the home.
It does make a person wonder where a five year old would have 'picked up' the knowledge that a tub of water could be used to kill another person .
I have grand kids in the age range of the little girl , generally when faced with a younger kid that is annoying them children that age would be annoying the caregiver to do something about it.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#11New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:52:53
@white_swan53 Said

The way the system is I wouldn't be surprised if they charged her , but I doubt there would be any incarceration . What I find 'baffling' is that law enforcement would even think about bringing charges against a child of 5 and not mention anything about the caregivers / adults that were responsible for an 18 month old , 5 year old and 'other children' in the home.
It does make a person wonder where a five year old would have 'picked up' the knowledge that a tub of water could be used to kill another person .
I have grand kids in the age range of the little girl , generally when faced with a younger kid that is annoying them children that age would be annoying the caregiver to do something about it.

They probably can't talk about it and thus why it wasn't brought up. I doubt that they don't recognize the situation for what it is. But most of the time, law enforcement can't talk about about certain things until things are cleared up and since the babysitter was mental challenged and they're probably investigating, they can't talk about it.

And I actually do understand why they are even thinking about charges against the girl... it's the same answer I posted above. She knew what she was doing and she knew what the action would bring. If it was a genuine mistake, I doubt anything would be brought to question, but it wasn't a mistake and it makes the difference.

Hanover area, Canada
#12New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:54:14
@white_swan53 Said

EXACTLY, where would a 5 year old learn that? My daughter is only two, but I've known and cared for lots of kids around the age of 5 and you are right, they would be bugging someone to do something about it, or just ignore them or maybe give them a favourite toy or something like that. I cannot see a 5 year old consciously knowing that putting the baby under water would "Shut it up". What 5 year old would do that, unless like I said in the last post, she was trying to soothe the child with a warm bath or something like that. I really dont think a 5 year old child would know enough of death and hurting someone to intentionally do that to a toddler. AND why are the ADULTS not questioning the apparently sleeping babysitter why she is SLEEPING when she is supposed to be tending to children. Where are people's brains these days?!!?! UGHH

Hanover area, Canada
#13New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:56:03
@boobagins Said

And I actually do understand why they are even thinking about charges against the girl... it's the same answer I posted above. She knew what she was doing and she knew what the action would bring. If it was a genuine mistake, I doubt anything would be brought to question, but it wasn't a mistake and it makes the difference.

how can u say that a 5 year old knew what she was doing and knew how to drown someone???
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#14New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 12:59:22
@Britt_mum1_09 Said

how can u say that a 5 year old knew what she was doing and knew how to drown someone???

Did you read the article? It doesn't implicitly state that, but that's what in infers... and it seems like the only logical explanation for why she may be charged.

n/a, New Mexico
#15New Post! Jun 10, 2011 @ 13:07:26
@boobagins Said

They probably can't talk about it and thus why it wasn't brought up. I doubt that they don't recognize the situation for what it is. But most of the time, law enforcement can't talk about about certain things until things are cleared up and since the babysitter was mental challenged and they're probably investigating, they can't talk about it.

Generally when a minor is involved in a crime it is a kept pretty quite and very few if any details are made available to the public . The fact that this doesn't seem to be the case here , both reports have details and information about all three minors directly involved , the 18 month old victim, the 5 year old , and the 16 year old care taker . Reporting on the little girls 'confession' , the teenagers mental health issues . While saying a bare minimum about the adults . Except for to give the baby's fathers name and mention he's asking for donations on his facebook account .
The 5 year old obviously knew that putting the baby into and holding him under the water would 'shut him up'
But a five year old doesn't have the capability mentally to understand that it would forever and permanently shut him up. I can't imagine a five year old have the capacity to 'hate' or be angry enough think in terms killing forever another human .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs