4-Year-Old's Drawing Leads to Dad's Arrest

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#1New Post! Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:17:50
https://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/133600/4yearolds_drawing_leads_to_dads?quick_picks=1

"One day last week at school Jessie Sansone's 4-year-old daughter drew a picture of a man with a gun. The teacher didn't like it, so she called Family and Social Services. If you think that's an outrageous overreaction, just wait..."

"According to the Calgary Herald, when Jessie went to pick up his daughter and his other children at the end of the day, he was handcuffed, arrested, and strip searched, as they looked for this gun. They did actually find one after they went and searched the family's home in Ontario ... only it turned out to be a toy. Yes, the only gun in the entire house was a toy gun."

ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#2New Post! Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:28:41
This is a better story as far as details are concerned.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/29/jessie-sansone-gun-drawing-mcguinty_n_1310263.html

1) Keep in mind we are talking about Canada which has very restrictive gun laws so it's best to keep that in mind and not do the typical knee-jerk American pro gun reaction.

2) The school and or it's representatives were complete f***ing idiots for calling CFS and / or the cops.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#3New Post! Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:43:38
@ClickBoom Said

This is a better story as far as details are concerned.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/02/29/jessie-sansone-gun-drawing-mcguinty_n_1310263.html

1) Keep in mind we are talking about Canada which has very restrictive gun laws so it's best to keep that in mind and not do the typical knee-jerk American pro gun reaction.

2) The school and or it's representatives were complete f***ing idiots for calling CFS and / or the cops.

From your link: "A local school board official later defended the decision to report the drawing, saying they were "co-parenting" with parents."

What the hell!?!
Hot_Rod On March 30, 2012

Deleted
Banned

A yacht, Monaco
#4New Post! Mar 25, 2012 @ 22:57:35
Good thing she didn't draw the kid's mum dressed as a camel with a cucumber up her arse.
Pandorazz On October 07, 2013

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 25, 2012 @ 23:01:20
@Hot_Rod Said

Good thing he didn't draw the kid's mum dressed as a camel with a cucumber up her arse.

Lmfao
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#6New Post! Mar 26, 2012 @ 22:59:15
@bob_the_fisherman Said

From your link: "A local school board official later defended the decision to report the drawing, saying they were "co-parenting" with parents."

What the hell!?!

What else would they say. It's obvious they made an a** out of themselves and if they agreed it was a stupid thing to do all they would accomplish is admitting it. We all know that isn't going to happen.

What I would like to know is when the hell did a school system have the right to co-parent? If they co-paid for the little s***z maybe but without some dough.. f*** 'em.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#7New Post! Mar 26, 2012 @ 23:02:15
Heh, that's what happens when the parents expect the schools to raise their children.

It's happening all over the place. Kids come in without proper parenting - not adequately fed, disciplined or taught the basic social skills to function.

It's bulls***, but can anyone really be surprised?

I'm sure as s*** not.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#8New Post! Mar 26, 2012 @ 23:06:52
@LuckyCharms Said

Heh, that's what happens when the parents expect the schools to raise their children.

It's happening all over the place. Kids come in without proper parenting - not adequately fed, disciplined or taught the basic social skills to function.

It's bulls***, but can anyone really be surprised?

I'm sure as s*** not.

I suppose it's good that there's at least that little bit of fall-back, but then what about the parents who do put time and effort into raising their children as well as they know how? Should they not be pissed off to end up in a situation like this because the schools are beginning to overstep their role to make up for the crap parents?

I don't even know which group I should put myself into, but I would be thoroughly pissed about this. That would be mortifying.
Codrus On June 01, 2012

t***sville, Florida
#9New Post! Mar 26, 2012 @ 23:18:27
I'de be calling some high priced attorney's...
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#10New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:06:18
schools can be a place where a stupid or a person with a grudge against the child or parent can work.
a childs drawing.
ask the child what kind of things the gun shoots maybe.
strip searched.
if its like here, no one will be in trouble.
you need a brave lawyer
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#11New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 01:51:21
I am not saying it was right, what the school did but I will say, in Canada guns are not as common as in the US. That is not a dig because to each their own so its not common for people especially not kids to be around guns so I do understand why the school would be concerned.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#12New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:06:18
@DorkySupergirl Said

I am not saying it was right, what the school did but I will say, in Canada guns are not as common as in the US. That is not a dig because to each their own so its not common for people especially not kids to be around guns so I do understand why the school would be concerned.

This is true. These stories are so difficult to look at outside of our own cultures; they're so opposite.

And this didn't happen here; it happened there. Here, I think of a kid drawing his dad ready to go out hunting, something they'll do together eventually. It's almost a harmless image, as barbaric as that sounds to you guys.

But people don't seem to think that way outside of the us. I guess I don't really know if it was an overreaction, even if it would be here. If it happened to me, I would be pissed as hell that they didn't simply conference about it, use that line of communication first. But I'm american, and what's more than that, I'm pretty back woods american. Hunting is a big, big sport around here. There are tourneys all summer for trap shooting. Everyone, who is into that sport, has a gun for it. It's not that weird for a child to wait impatiently until they're old enough to partake in the sport as well. Given all that context, it would be more fitting to be outraged than it would be outside of it.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#13New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:17:38
@chisa96 Said

I suppose it's good that there's at least that little bit of fall-back, but then what about the parents who do put time and effort into raising their children as well as they know how? Should they not be pissed off to end up in a situation like this because the schools are beginning to overstep their role to make up for the crap parents?

I don't even know which group I should put myself into, but I would be thoroughly pissed about this. That would be mortifying.

They handled it wrong to be sure. They were overzealous and there's going to be some repercussions I'm sure.

But no there shouldn't be fall back at the school. Schools are there to teach. Parents are there to parent. You have parents that should not be parents and expect the schools to pick up the slack for their ineptitude. These people shouldn't be having kids. They should have had abortions.

People think I'm harsh with this s*** and I am. But you've got people that shouldn't have kids expecting the system to cover for their mistakes and another group wanting to take away the solution.

But the reality is that as long as we have these two forces in play, yeah you're gonna get some dumbass crazy people going over the line and over-reacting. And the state/county etc (read taxpayers) are going to have to pay out damages for these mistakes.

Too many dumbf***s breeding. It brings us down to the lowest common denominator.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#14New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:25:37
@chisa96 Said

This is true. These stories are so difficult to look at outside of our own cultures; they're so opposite.

And this didn't happen here; it happened there. Here, I think of a kid drawing his dad ready to go out hunting, something they'll do together eventually. It's almost a harmless image, as barbaric as that sounds to you guys.

But people don't seem to think that way outside of the us. I guess I don't really know if it was an overreaction, even if it would be here. If it happened to me, I would be pissed as hell that they didn't simply conference about it, use that line of communication first. But I'm american, and what's more than that, I'm pretty back woods american. Hunting is a big, big sport around here. There are tourneys all summer for trap shooting. Everyone, who is into that sport, has a gun for it. It's not that weird for a child to wait impatiently until they're old enough to partake in the sport as well. Given all that context, it would be more fitting to be outraged than it would be outside of it.

Sorry let me rephrase because when I think of the word gun, I think of a hand gun that people have to collect or for protection. That is very rare in my country. In my area, in the country parts, most people have hunting rifles because hunting is very popular here. But even those who have hunting rifles, their kids are not allowed to handle them, touch them etc. I would say about the age 16 or older, the father will start to allow his son to handle the hunting rifle. Maybe that is different in other parts of Canada but here kids do not go around or touch the hunting rifles.
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#15New Post! Mar 27, 2012 @ 02:37:29
@LuckyCharms Said

They handled it wrong to be sure. They were overzealous and there's going to be some repercussions I'm sure.

But no there shouldn't be fall back at the school. Schools are there to teach. Parents are there to parent. You have parents that should not be parents and expect the schools to pick up the slack for their ineptitude. These people shouldn't be having kids. They should have had abortions.

People think I'm harsh with this s*** and I am. But you've got people that shouldn't have kids expecting the system to cover for their mistakes and another group wanting to take away the solution.

But the reality is that as long as we have these two forces in play, yeah you're gonna get some dumbass crazy people going over the line and over-reacting. And the state/county etc (read taxpayers) are going to have to pay out damages for these mistakes.

Too many dumbf***s breeding. It brings us down to the lowest common denominator.

I don't know that there shouldn't be fallback from the school. I mean, if the parents don't care and the school doesn't care, what hope do these kids have? I agree that it's bulls***, but at the same time are we to hang these kids all out to dry because of it?

I think they should have conferenced and communicated with the parents initially though. If that fails, then you move on to something more extreme or accept that as a teacher you can't parent them, however you feel about it.

You could tell the parents about it though; you don't have to ignore it to avoid overstepping your bounds as a teacher.

@DorkySupergirl Said

Sorry let me rephrase because when I think of the word gun, I think of a hand gun that people have to collect or for protection. That is very rare in my country. In my area, in the country parts, most people have hunting rifles because hunting is very popular here. But even those who have hunting rifles, their kids are not allowed to handle them, touch them etc. I would say about the age 16 or older, the father will start to allow his son to handle the hunting rifle. Maybe that is different in other parts of Canada but here kids do not go around or touch the hunting rifles.

I guess I don't really think of hand guns either. But the word 'gun', whatever the size, just doesn't lead to that kind of reaction for me. In my american view, they jumped too harshly on this, unless there were reasons more than a picture to lead them to call in social services without so much as a conference first.

Here, it generally begins much younger. I'm still trying to decide on this right now; at this point I'm settling somewhere around 10 to actually go off with his uncle, which is actually going to be a fight because he's going to hear about the other kids who want to go starting younger.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs