26 Big Firms Paid More to CEOs Than to US in Taxes

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Aug 16, 2012 @ 13:31:25
Quote:

A new study that might set your blood boiling finds that 26 large US companies, each of which generated an average of more than $1 billion in net income last year, paid more to their CEOs than they paid to the federal government in taxes last year. The CEOs received an average of $20.4 million while the companies paid little to no federal tax

The companies include:

•Boeing, which got a $605 million tax refund and paid its CEO $18.4 million. (A spokesperson says the company actually paid $1.3 billion in taxes.)
•Citigroup, which received a net $144 million in tax benefits and paid its CEO $14.9 million.
•AT&T, which saved $5.2 billion in taxes using accelerated depreciation and paid its CEO $18.7 million

https://www.newser.com/story/152235/26-big-firms-paid-more-to-ceos-than-to-us-in-taxes.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united

It's ironic that these CEO's are living the proverbial 'American Dream" huh .....
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#2New Post! Aug 16, 2012 @ 14:33:42
You forgot entertainment and sports stars.

It isn't that simple.

n/a, New Mexico
#3New Post! Aug 16, 2012 @ 15:26:58
Are entertainment and sports stars considered 'big firms' with CEOs comparable to AT&T and Boeing ? I'm pretty sure they earn about the same, if not more then a firm like AT&T .
JennyReb On September 26, 2012

Anaheim, California
#4New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 16:25:09
I wonder if big companies pay little taxes because of the complexity of the tax code.

Politicians say they want the rich to pay a high tax rate, but to get the high tax rate to pass congress, the law must include ways for rich people to avoid taxes.

Or the congress passes tax breaks for some groups because they hope that will help disadvantaged or some other favored group.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 16:28:43
@JennyReb Said

I wonder if big companies pay little taxes because of the complexity of the tax code.

Politicians say they want the rich to pay a high tax rate, but to get the high tax rate to pass congress, the law must include ways for rich people to avoid taxes.

Or the congress passes tax breaks for some groups because they hope that will help disadvantaged or some other favored group.

What is going to happen, due to the stalemate, is that the Bush tax cuts will just be allowed to expire at the end of the year. Then Obama and the Democrats will attempt to push a new bill that gives a round of stimulus type tax cuts to the middle and lower class. Of course the Republicans will want them extended to the upper class as well and may risk voting against it because of it.

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 16:30:05
@JennyReb Said

Yeppers, that's pretty much exactly how it seems to work .
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:04:51
Im still wondering what it takes to be so successful and become CEO of a company. I dont resent these people, Im actually in awe of them.

What is it they posess, that they can be so much more successful than me in life.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#8New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:31:33
@townie_guy Said

Im still wondering what it takes to be so successful and become CEO of a company. I dont resent these people, Im actually in awe of them.

What is it they posess, that they can be so much more successful than me in life.

By and large, you need to start with a lot of money.. Then you need to have a good family that sends you to the right schools, so you can meet other people with lots of money and good families.. After that, you buy enough stock to get noticed in companies where you've got friends, and then you have them vote you onto the board..

Once there, you do your level best to piss on your friends... just enough to make sure that they don't get the spot, but not so much that they realize that it's you that's doing it.

Once you're in the position, you then fire your board of directors, and replace them with people who will take years to fight amongst themselves as to who will take your place.

There are exceptions.. The CEO of my company actually came from a working class family, went to a state college and only has his bachelors degree.. He worked his way up through our company, and is so genuinely well liked by everyone, and so freaking naturally capable, that he was a shoe in for the job.

The exceptions are pretty rare though.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:38:04
@boxerdc Said

By and large, you need to start with a lot of money.. Then you need to have a good family that sends you to the right schools, so you can meet other people with lots of money and good families.. After that, you buy enough stock to get noticed in companies where you've got friends, and then you have them vote you onto the board..

Once there, you do your level best to piss on your friends... just enough to make sure that they don't get the spot, but not so much that they realize that it's you that's doing it.

Once you're in the position, you then fire your board of directors, and replace them with people who will take years to fight amongst themselves as to who will take your place.

There are exceptions.. The CEO of my company actually came from a working class family, went to a state college and only has his bachelors degree.. He worked his way up through our company, and is so genuinely well liked by everyone, and so freaking naturally capable, that he was a shoe in for the job.

Hmmm, I think that is where I am gonna fail. One does not have the correct upbringing. A savage like me does not mix with the gentleman.

Its just when you look at people like Mark Zuckerburg. ALthough he did reinvent social networking and he isnt in it for the money.

I doubt I will never make it that high. But Im still gonna give upper managment a shot. Nothing wrong with having a goal.

Deleted

#10New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:41:13
@townie_guy Said

Hmmm, I think that is where I am gonna fail. One does not have the correct upbringing. A savage like me does not mix with the gentleman.

Its just when you look at people like Mark Zuckerburg. ALthough he did reinvent social networking and he isnt in it for the money.

I doubt I will never make it that high. But Im still gonna give upper managment a shot. Nothing wrong with having a goal.

Upper management is a huge hassle.. Of course it comes with a huge paycheck, but you don't really get the chance to enjoy it..

Middle management is good.. You get a nice paycheck, and almost all the time you can leave work at work.. The down side is that you actually have to be really good at your job, and you have to be able to keep your employees happy without pissing off the multiple layers of bosses above you.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:45:54
@boxerdc Said

My grandfather was a CEO. A lot of times, it is just who you know and being in the right place at the right time.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 20:51:42
@boxerdc Said

Upper management is a huge hassle.. Of course it comes with a huge paycheck, but you don't really get the chance to enjoy it..

Middle management is good.. You get a nice paycheck, and almost all the time you can leave work at work.. The down side is that you actually have to be really good at your job, and you have to be able to keep your employees happy without pissing off the multiple layers of bosses above you.

Ive got that horrible personality trait of being quite ruthless at times which might help for all the wrong reasons.

But then again, after being in the army, Im sure keeping emplyee's happy is different to dealing with the lower ranks who like to push everything as far as they can.

Still I aint gonna let my worries hold me back. I will never know if Im made out for out unless I try.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 21:09:47
@Leon Said

My grandfather was a CEO. A lot of times, it is just who you know and being in the right place at the right time.

I expect there is a network of CEOs who are either the corporate bosses or the bosses of major share holding organisations such as corporate investment advisers and pension fund managers who then use their block votes to steam roller huge mega buck salaries at AGMs. Just one club for these fat cats.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 21:15:18
@boxerdc Said

From your description, it sounds like upper management is less of a hassle.

Deleted

#15New Post! Aug 19, 2012 @ 23:00:58
@Leon Said

From your description, it sounds like upper management is less of a hassle.

Upper management is all about politics.. Make sure that you do nothing to piss off your bosses, and even though you have little or no direct control over those who work for you, get them to do things that they don't want to do..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs