AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#16New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 19:26:26
@_Samantha_ Said

So train the staff a bit lol. If it makes it fairer and quicker and can be secure then why not? Paper voting isnt foolproof either. All I got was a form thing through the door, and no-one asked for proof of ID when I went to vote. If we'd moved house anyone could have used my vote.

You're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. And that's ongoing costs you will incur every election as you have to maintain systems, provide security, etc.

There is really nothing wrong with paper ballots. They work, they're verifiable, they're recountable, they're secure. Paper is where it's at.
_Samantha_ On May 19, 2010

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 19:29:40
@jonnythan Said

You're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. And that's ongoing costs you will incur every election as you have to maintain systems, provide security, etc.

There is really nothing wrong with paper ballots. They work, they're verifiable, they're recountable, they're secure. Paper is where it's at.

You're using Churchill's tactic right? Repeat the same thing 3 times and it gives it weight?

It depends whether you want efficiency or not I spose.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#18New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 19:49:34
I think having 100% turnout (or as close to it as possible) would be worth spending some money on. Rather than over 16 million people being too bone idle to get their arses off the sofa and vote they could do it by using the same effort as changing the channel on the TV.

And you didn't answer my question jonnythan.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#19New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 19:52:21
Your system wouldn't really raise voter turnout all that much. People who want to vote will vote. People who don't won't.

Besides, the idea of putting something like that on the internet is, IMO, completely unworkable.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 19:56:27
@jonnythan Said

Your system wouldn't really raise voter turnout all that much. People who want to vote will vote. People who don't won't.

Besides, the idea of putting something like that on the internet is, IMO, completely unworkable.

The problem here wasnt about increasing turnout, it was about coping with a bigger turnout lol.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#21New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:00:00
If you go digital, can I vote there too?
I'm a pretty good hacker, I'll bet that I could!!

That said, the voting machines that we use here in my state were made in the 1950's and they use sealed counters that aren't too much different than the ones nightclub bouncers use to count people entering a club.. Mechanical, stable, and because they're sealed they can't be easily tampered with. They occasionally do get screwed up, but it's not common, and no system is foolproof..

And I have been happy to stand in the rain for an hour or so for my chance to vote many times.. Everyone in the world who has the privilege to vote should feel the same.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:02:37
@boxerdc Said

If you go digital, can I vote there too?
I'm a pretty good hacker, I'll bet that I could!!

That said, the voting machines that we use here in my state were made in the 1950's and they use sealed counters that aren't too much different than the ones nightclub bouncers use to count people entering a club.. Mechanical, stable, and because they're sealed they can't be easily tampered with. They occasionally do get screwed up, but it's not common, and no system is foolproof..

And I have been happy to stand in the rain for an hour or so for my chance to vote many times.. Everyone in the world who has the privilege to vote should feel the same.

Like I just pointed out, the paper system isnt safe either. I just got a card through the door. No proof of ID needed when voting. How secure is that?
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#23New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:10:53
While I don't believe that internet voting is the way to go, I do believe that our current electoral system is stuck in the past. The polls should closed when everyone at the polling station has had their say and we should ditch first past the post.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#24New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:44:02
@jonnythan Said

So no sensitive data is ever sent via the net? Multi billion bank transfers are done digitally, I really don't see the problem.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#25New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:48:03
@SparklyKatie Said

So no sensitive data is ever sent via the net? Multi billion bank transfers are done digitally, I really don't see the problem.

I do. Say the servers crashed or were hit by a virus or a denial of service attack. How then would people vote? Changing the law to allow anyone at the polling station before 10pm to vote after 10pm and making sure there's a surplus of ballot papers available is a far better way of sorting it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#26New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:49:06
@SparklyKatie Said

Sensitive data is sent over the net.

And sensitive data is stolen over the net every day. Since IT security is literally my job, I get email updates whenever major data security breaches happen.

Check out the list:
https://www.privacyrights.org/ar/ChronDataBreaches.htm

And these are only publicly-reported ones.

I also think that the UK Election System is perhaps the biggest of all possible internet targets. The focused effort on hacking the system would be absolutely immense. I think it would be virtually inevitable that it would be breached.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#27New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:51:29
Also, DOS attacks is a good point. Did you know that the world's largest commercial cloud computing services provider is actually the Conficker botnet?

Yeah. It's very sophisticated - you can go to websites and literally buy CPU power and bandwidth from virus-infected machines for your malware.

No network on earth could withstand a directed attack from a large portion of this botnet, let alone several botnets.

It would be a somewhat trivial matter to completely shut down the entire election system for days on command.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#28New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:56:13
@jonnythan Said

Also, DOS attacks is a good point. Did you know that the world's largest commercial cloud computing services provider is actually the Conficker botnet?

Yeah. It's very sophisticated - you can go to websites and literally buy CPU power and bandwidth from virus-infected machines for your malware.

No network on earth could withstand a directed attack from a large portion of this botnet, let alone several botnets.

It would be a somewhat trivial matter to completely shut down the entire election system for days on command.

I know f*** all about computers. But how do military defence networks stay secure then?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#29New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:56:56
@jonnythan Said

Ouch. I mean I knew a bit about computer attacks on governments from a documentary but I didn't know it was that easy. Might as well just paint a giant target on future UK elections.

Thanks for the info though. Good to know what's out there.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#30New Post! May 07, 2010 @ 20:58:00
@_Samantha_ Said

I know f*** all about computers. But how do military defence networks stay secure then?

They often don't, actually.

But most of the critical systems are simply not connected to the internet. They are run over private networks.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs