US Election 2012

2012 United States Presidential Election

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#46New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 13:33:52
Not as many take this election thing as seriously as many are led to suspect.

If you don't believe me - Try putting a pig up for election.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#47New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 13:47:39
@shinobinoz Said

Bulls***.
I've have and do support the candidate of my choice. But when it get's down to breaking up the two party system you'll not be doing that by voting for a third party candidate if it gets the worst person in office. If the better of the two party system is going to win- I do and have voted for the person I prefer.

I'm not so selfish as to think that my choice has to trump all others especially when it means that choice would put the opposite of what I believe into office.

How is it bulls***? The fact that you do not vote for, say Gary Johnson for arguments sake, even though he is the one you support is what hardens people's opinion that the two party system is the only viable one and all other ways fail. Also, it reinforces the notion that if the power-elite conquer both the left and right of the aisle, they have conquered the nation because you can only choose left and right, never mind about other positions such as the center, the top, the bottom, etc.
You may end up getting a worse person in office in the short term, but in the long term, you will raise the grassroot effort of getting a real third party candidate into position. And finally, you cannot tell the future thus you cannot state for certain that you voting for the person you believe is the best will enable someone worse to get into office. That's a guess, not a truth.
Anyways, don't get all worked up. This is mostly hypothetical
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#48New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 19:48:06
@Tar Said

How is it bulls***? The fact that you do not vote for, say Gary Johnson for arguments sake, even though he is the one you support is what hardens people's opinion that the two party system is the only viable one and all other ways fail. Also, it reinforces the notion that if the power-elite conquer both the left and right of the aisle, they have conquered the nation because you can only choose left and right, never mind about other positions such as the center, the top, the bottom, etc.
You may end up getting a worse person in office in the short term, but in the long term, you will raise the grassroot effort of getting a real third party candidate into position. And finally, you cannot tell the future thus you cannot state for certain that you voting for the person you believe is the best will enable someone worse to get into office. That's a guess, not a truth.
Anyways, don't get all worked up. This is mostly hypothetical

I think we know pretty well who's getting elected in most elections. There are not too many Dewey defeats Truman headlines that occur.
And when it comes to electing the POTUS- it is not short term when you are looking at the SCOTUS.
Thus when I vote for what I feel is the best candidate at the risk of putting the wrong person in office I am acting selfishly in my beliefs and not voting what is best for the country.

When I vote for the best candidate and I know the next best candidate (which is the candidate closer to my best choice) that is assuredly going to win anyway, I am trying to make the change & difference you state as all important and voting for what's best for the country.

What you missed was my statement that by all means fight for your choice- but that means it should be done mostly before the next election and by trying to get changes that will give that person a better more equal standing. That makes much more sense than throwing away a vote or worse throwing an election to the wrong person.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#49New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 19:55:13
@shinobinoz Said

I think we know pretty well who's getting elected in most elections. There are not too many Dewey defeats Truman headlines that occur.
And when it comes to electing the POTUS- it is not short term when you are looking at the SCOTUS.
Thus when I vote for what I feel is the best candidate at the risk of putting the wrong person in office I am acting selfishly in my beliefs and not voting what is best for the country.

When I vote for the best candidate and I know the next best candidate (which is the candidate closer to my best choice) that is assuredly going to win anyway, I am trying to make the change & difference you state as all important and voting for what's best for the country.

What you missed was my statement that by all means fight for your choice- but that means it should be done mostly before the next election and by trying to get changes that will give that person a better more equal standing. That makes much more sense than throwing away a vote or worse throwing an election to the wrong person.

Long story short, you believe in voting against someone as opposed to voting for someone?
wirelessguru1 On November 01, 2018

Somewhere in, California
#50New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:05:15
@shinobinoz Said

Really what needs to be done is to bust up the two party system and let everyone play with a equal footing.

That will happen when the present civilization (society) finally fails or is destroyed once again...
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#51New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:22:03
@Tar Said

Long story short, you believe in voting against someone as opposed to voting for someone?

Long story short, I believe in voting FOR the best interests of the country.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#52New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:22:58
@wirelessguru1 Said

That will happen when the present civilization (society) finally fails or is destroyed once again...

Yeah, we COULD sit on our frikken thumbs OR we could act to make changes for the better.

Somewhere in, California
#53New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:26:50
@shinobinoz Said

Yeah, we COULD sit on out frikken thumbs OR we could act to make changes for the better.

Well, good luck with that since all (100% of them) prior civilizations also either failed or were destroyed!

Either case, a change for the better can only be achieved after the present day civilizatiuon also fails or is destroyed. I certainly don't see any way around that truth.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#54New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:33:19
@shinobinoz Said

Long story short, I believe in voting FOR the best interests of the country.

I think you're position is somewhat perplexing to me and I am finding it hard to grasp. I'll have to read about what you are saying a few times and give it some more thought
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#55New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:35:42
@wirelessguru1 Said

Well, good luck with that since all (100% of them) prior civilizations also either failed or were destroyed!

Either case, a change for the better can only be achieved after the present day civilizatiuon also fails or is destroyed. I certainly don't see any way around that truth.

I don't you think you'll find any that started having to learn to start fires & re-create the wheel is what I'm saying.
Doing nothing removes your right to complain IMHO. I will work for bettering the world around me - which is good in the event it happens in my life time or not.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#56New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:37:33
@Tar Said

I think you're position is somewhat perplexing to me and I am finding it hard to grasp. I'll have to read about what you are saying a few times and give it some more thought

I think we are both dancing around the same coup pole!

I just think that is my decision to support my choice come's at the expense of the country- I'm being selfish. That may well be a First Nations thing. I don't know.

Somewhere in, California
#57New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:42:51
@shinobinoz Said

I don't you think you'll find any that started having to learn to start fires & re-create the wheel is what I'm saying.

Well, not all info (data) is lost since and obviously some (small groups) surive(d).

@shinobinoz Said

Doing nothing removes your right to complain IMHO. I will work for bettering the world around me - which is good in the event it happens in my life time or not.

Complain!? Like what exactly was I complaining about!!!???

..and exactly how are you working to better the world around you!?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#58New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 20:48:44
@boxerdc Said

Me!!!

Vote for me!!!

I'll make "choose an avatar theme friday" mandatory, and we'll all have to wear costumes instead of just changing our pix on TFS.

awesome!!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#59New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 22:43:15
@DiscordTiger Said

awesome!!

Don't encourage him!
I'm sloth when it comes to changing my avy!
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#60New Post! Jul 07, 2012 @ 23:02:54
@shinobinoz Said

Don't encourage him!
I'm sloth when it comes to changing my avy!

You won't have to change your avitar.. you'll have to change your outfit..

Since I'll be sworn in in January, the first Friday after I'm president, everyone will dress like a beaver.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs