News & Current Events

2 Supreme Court Decisions on Gay Marriage Expected This Week

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 02:57:29
One is a challenge to California's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. The other is an attack on a provision of federal law that prevents legally married gay couples from receiving a range of tax, health and pension benefits.

Post your thoughts and reactions here. Keep it civil.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#2New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 16:07:08
My thoughts are that I do not understand why this is taking so long to have equal marriage rights for all. I do not grasp the fuss of the issue and I do not understand the fighting over the issue.

The problem for me is that I am not familiar with how things become laws in your country but I would think at the federal level, whoever is in charge simply is presented a bill for nation wide same sex marriage and they vote on it and if its passed, boom, nation wide same sex marriage in all states.

In Canada, it was former PM Paul Martin, who had by the way a minority government, who presented the bill for same sex marriage to the House of Commons. The House voted on it and approved it. Then the senate passed it and the day after the senate passed it, it received Royal Assent the next day. Then voila, nation wide same sex marriage for all. Before this passing of it at a federal level, some provinces already had same sex marriage but this ensured it would be recognized and allowed nation wide for all provinces.

I know our laws are passed differently here compared to America but Obama, your senators, congress or whatever the term is for who passes bills can't just make a bill, vote on it and pass it for nation wide same sex marriage?
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 17:45:26
@DorkySupergirl Said

My thoughts are that I do not understand why this is taking so long to have equal marriage rights for all. I do not grasp the fuss of the issue and I do not understand the fighting over the issue.

The problem for me is that I am not familiar with how things become laws in your country but I would think at the federal level, whoever is in charge simply is presented a bill for nation wide same sex marriage and they vote on it and if its passed, boom, nation wide same sex marriage in all states.

In Canada, it was former PM Paul Martin, who had by the way a minority government, who presented the bill for same sex marriage to the House of Commons. The House voted on it and approved it. Then the senate passed it and the day after the senate passed it, it received Royal Assent the next day. Then voila, nation wide same sex marriage for all. Before this passing of it at a federal level, some provinces already had same sex marriage but this ensured it would be recognized and allowed nation wide for all provinces.

I know our laws are passed differently here compared to America but Obama, your senators, congress or whatever the term is for who passes bills can't just make a bill, vote on it and pass it for nation wide same sex marriage?

It would be nice if it were that easy, but Congress is controlled in part by the Republican Party (and the platform of the Republican Party is against same sex marriage due to the support of the Republican Party by the Christian contingent in America, most of whom are against homosexuality). As a result nothing can get passed in Congress without the consent of the Republican Party.

In my opinion, this is just one of many examples of how out of touch the party is with the thinking of the rest of the world.

, Canada
#4New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 18:29:48
@Leon Said

It would be nice if it were that easy, but Congress is controlled in part by the Republican Party (and the platform of the Republican Party is against same sex marriage due to the support of the Republican Party by the Christian contingent in America, most of whom are against homosexuality). As a result nothing can get passed in Congress without the consent of the Republican Party.

In my opinion, this is just one of many examples of how out of touch the party is with the thinking of the rest of the world.

Thank you for explaining.

In Canada, we do not have Democratic and Republican parties but we have Liberal party and Conservative Party. They have similar platforms to your Democratic and Republican parties so to me, would be equal to say a Canadian Liberal is equal to American Democrat and Canadian Conservative is equal to American Republican.

The reason I explain this to you is that when the bill was introduced in Canada, our PM(equal to your president) had a minority government so the bill was passed with the House having a Liberal leader but majority Conservative government. The same exact thing as what you mention to me. Right now your leader is Democrat with minority in house with majority being Republican so that is why I do not get why it can't be passed. We had the same exact situation in Canada but ours still passed.
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#5New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 18:58:10
Marriage in the US is a states right, so each state has to pass the law separately. DOMA is a federal law that defines marriage and says that each state doesn't have to recognize marriages performed in other states. This is clearly a violation of the "full faith and credit" clause of the fourteenth amendment, and we had to wait until someone was harmed by that violation before bringing suit. I expect that the decision will be mixed, but a step in the right direction. We should know on Thursday.
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#6New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 19:33:23
Proposition 8: What’s at stake? The freedom of citizens to make marriage policy in their state.

DOMA: What’s at stake? The constitutional authority of Congress to make marriage policy for federal purposes.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 19:45:09
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thank you for explaining.

In Canada, we do not have Democratic and Republican parties but we have Liberal party and Conservative Party. They have similar platforms to your Democratic and Republican parties so to me, would be equal to say a Canadian Liberal is equal to American Democrat and Canadian Conservative is equal to American Republican.

The reason I explain this to you is that when the bill was introduced in Canada, our PM(equal to your president) had a minority government so the bill was passed with the House having a Liberal leader but majority Conservative government. The same exact thing as what you mention to me. Right now your leader is Democrat with minority in house with majority being Republican so that is why I do not get why it can't be passed. We had the same exact situation in Canada but ours still passed.

Well obviously not all the members of the Conservative majority in Canada at the time were against gay marriages or it wouldn't have passed.

, Canada
#8New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 19:55:01
@Leon Said

Well obviously not all the members of the Conservative majority in Canada at the time were against gay marriages or it wouldn't have passed.

Well, that is obvious, Leon. Most Conservatives in the house in Canada were against it but they had enough Conservatives to vote against their own party that it made enough votes to have it passed.

I thought and perhaps I am wrong, that some of the Republicans in your house would vote yes and then combine with all Liberals voting yes, it would have enough votes to pass. I see some Republican leaders on tv supporting gay marriage so I thought you guys had a few in favor for it so that if the votes were tallied, enough to push through.
foxytrot On February 04, 2015
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#9New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 20:11:12
I don't like the fact that peoples' opinions can affect someone else's life. The only voting that should take place should be for economical and/or political that affect all Americans.

Honestly, I would think allowing same sex marriage to be more productive for the economy with taxes and dependants I don't understand how anyone could feel good about preventing another person from making their own choices. The only exceptions that other peoples opinions matter is in courtroom being convicted of illegalities. Just a thought!
boxer On June 16, 2016

Deleted
Banned

, Zimbabwe
#10New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 20:48:44
Just to clarify, no one is voting here. The Supreme Court is deciding on the constitutionality of a law that was passed in the 90's
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#11New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 21:02:35
@DorkySupergirl Said

Well, that is obvious, Leon. Most Conservatives in the house in Canada were against it but they had enough Conservatives to vote against their own party that it made enough votes to have it passed.

I thought and perhaps I am wrong, that some of the Republicans in your house would vote yes and then combine with all Liberals voting yes, it would have enough votes to pass. I see some Republican leaders on tv supporting gay marriage so I thought you guys had a few in favor for it so that if the votes were tallied, enough to push through.

A repeal of DOMA would require enough Republicans in the House of Representatives to side with all the Democrats that are in favor of a repeal. It's been tried, but there simply haven't been enough.

It's also been tried in the Senate, which does have a Democratic majority. But the problem in the Senate is that anybody from the minority can keep it from ever getting to a vote through a process called a filibuster. To end this filibuster, a vote of 60 to 40 is needed. It is one of the most retarded rules of procedure in our Congress, in my opinion, and a major reason why nothing seems to pass in there anymore.

Both the House and Senate would need to repeal DOMA, which is so unlikely at this point, the originators of the repeal have said they won't even try anymore. All eyes are on the Supreme Court to determine its constitutionality, as it is the last hope for those who are against it.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#12New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 21:10:21
Meanwhile, a repeal of Obamacare passed a 37th time by vote recently in the House of Representatives...

I am truly ashamed at the level of disfunction in our congress.

, Canada
#13New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 21:36:51
@Leon Said

A repeal of DOMA would require enough Republicans in the House of Representatives to side with all the Democrats that are in favor of a repeal. It's been tried, but there simply haven't been enough.

It's also been tried in the Senate, which does have a Democratic majority. But the problem in the Senate is that anybody from the minority can keep it from ever getting to a vote through a process called a filibuster. To end this filibuster, a vote of 60 to 40 is needed. It is one of the most retarded rules of procedure in our Congress, in my opinion, and a major reason why nothing seems to pass in there anymore.

Both the House and Senate would need to repeal DOMA, which is so unlikely at this point, the originators of the repeal have said they won't even try anymore. All eyes are on the Supreme Court to determine its constitutionality, as it is the last hope for those who are against it.

Ah, thank you, yes, that makes more sense to me.

It seems we have some similar process and some very different ones. I could be wrong but I am sure here the PM introduces the bills he wants passed, the house votes and if approved, it goes to senate and if senate approves, that is it. There is no filibuster here I am aware of. When senate approves, it goes right to getting Royal Assent.

I looked it up and though our Liberals had a minority government, our same sex marriage bill was voted 175 to 123 for it to be passed though the Conservatives aka Republicans had the majority government at that time.

It took three years, three PM's and three Parliments for us to pass same sex bill but once voted yes, it appears our process in Canada is faster and no one can really do anything once its approved to be passed.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Jun 24, 2013 @ 21:56:23
@DorkySupergirl Said

Ah, thank you, yes, that makes more sense to me.

It seems we have some similar process and some very different ones. I could be wrong but I am sure here the PM introduces the bills he wants passed, the house votes and if approved, it goes to senate and if senate approves, that is it. There is no filibuster here I am aware of. When senate approves, it goes right to getting Royal Assent.

I looked it up and though our Liberals had a minority government, our same sex marriage bill was voted 175 to 123 for it to be passed though the Conservatives aka Republicans had the majority government at that time.

It took three years, three PM's and three Parliments for us to pass same sex bill but once voted yes, it appears our process in Canada is faster and no one can really do anything once its approved to be passed.

Yeah, it's a bit different. Here, all bills are introduced by the House of Representatives and passed through there. Once it passes, it gets to the Senate, and they vote on it. If it survives the Senate, then the bill goes on the desk of the President, who can either sign it into law or veto it.

That's the technical procedure anyhow. Of course the President or Senate can get the ball rolling on suggested bills by working with the House beforehand.
magicgoat On July 05, 2013

Deleted

Stockbridge, Georgia
#15New Post! Jun 25, 2013 @ 00:56:54
@Leon Said

Meanwhile, a repeal of Obamacare passed a 37th time by vote recently in the House of Representatives...

I am truly ashamed at the level of dysfunction in our congress.

Disunity. I think that's what you mean.

Division.

I smell it in the air.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs