The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

10 things our leaders need to do to make America great again.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#1New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 17:58:41
1. End the war on drugs. Talk about a money waster, just as bad as Prohibition. Not only has the fight proven to be wholly ineffective in keeping people off drugs, but it has opened up avenues of crime that is bad as the dependence welfare has created for the inner cities, if not much worse. Legalizing drugs would force sellers and traffickers to look for real work, keep families together instead of in jail, end the dangerous threat of cartels coming from south of our border, and open up additional government revenue via taxation rather than money lost as it is today.

2. Open the borders. Yes, you read that correctly. America was loved and respected over a hundred years ago, part because it was seen as a welcoming inviter for those who wished a better life, and didn't turn people back, and, contrary to popular racist belief today, additional people coming into the country are not a drag to the economy, but are, in fact contributors to our economy. If this were not true then jobs and opportunity wouldn't be there for them to come to, eliminating the magnet. But they are there, and welcoming instead of fighting them would both save government money and gain taxation revenue, much like the ending of the war on drugs would do. Simply letting the market dictate the magnet is the best way to regulate immigration and doing so would gain our respect and save a big political headache. In order for this to work of course, welfare and government assistance should not be one of the magnets.

3. Once the economy is healthy again, end welfare for all except the disabled and elderly. People who are able bodied would learn quickly how to train for and find work as a result, as anybody can who really sets their mind to it. They just don't need to in today's America. Very few homeless people aren't homeless by choice.

4. End foreign military involvement unless a direct government-level threat is involved. This should have been practiced 10 years ago, before trillions were lost on a meaningless war that alienated the rest of the world. There is a reason the UN and NATO were created, and we should honor these alliances rather than impose our own will over them. One country should never be or behave as the world's police.

5. Turn every school into a charter school. Eliminating the bureaucracy and the one size fits all mentality of school districts and the states, and letting those who do the actual teaching of the students decide what is working and isn't working, via hires, curriculum, and methods, would dictate choice that would alone create success in the schools again and weed out the failures. And, just like all the above, it saves our government money.

6. Reform campaign finance. Nothing will ever get done for the good of America in the face of corporate greed if we don't do this. Ever.

7. Turn our energy system into one that feeds off of the highly cheap and abundant resource of nuclear energy. With enough of these reactors, our dependence on fossil fuels could end overnight and clean the planet, not to mention make energy cheaper. Yes, there is the issue of nuclear waste, but this provides a far smaller environmental burden on our planet than the burning if fossil fuels does.

8. Advocate gasoline free transportation and vehicles, and this will complete the above goal, not to mention render the volatile Middle East as politically unimportant.

9. Amend the Constitution to define "person". Otherwise corporations will continue to be viewed as one by the court and be allowed to behave as they really are: machines with the sole purpose of profit. Anybody with a head on their shoulders can see that corporations are not people and do not behave like people. They therefore need to be held in check from curtailing the rights of those who are actually people, and such an amendment allows this.

10. Reform the tax code by simplifying it and eliminate its avenue for politicians to use as a tool for their agenda and its support.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#2New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:00:46
@Leon Said

3. Once the economy is healthy again, welfare for all except the disabled and elderly. People who are able bodied would learn quickly how to train for and find work as a result, as anybody can who really sets their mind to it. They just don't need to in today's America. Very few people aren't homeless by choice.

Do you mean 'end welfare for all except the disabled and elderly'?

San Diego, California
#3New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:02:22
@LuckyCharms Said

Do you mean 'end welfare for all except the disabled and elderly'?

Yes, thanks, I fixed it lol.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#4New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:02:52
@Leon Said

Yes, thanks, I fixed it lol.

San Diego, California
#5New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:46:09
These are all bold measures, but they are needed. And we need bold leaders, in the vein of Theodore Roosevelt, that are willing to step out of partisan politics and actually get them enacted.

Either that or we can just continue to let the status quo deteriorate our once great nation and sit and complain and bicker about it.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 18:56:49
I would have to say, that some sort of healthcare would have to be figured in there, or some sort of temporary welfare in the event of illness.

Making able bodied people work for a living is awesome, I like that idea. There should just be some sort of safety net, so something like a hernia doesn't mean you end up not only with surgery and those costs, but losing your job as a result.

I wasn't sure you were including that sort of short term situation in the "disability" category.

San Diego, California
#7New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 19:21:54
@Leon Said

These are all bold measures, but they are needed. And we need bold leaders, in the vein of Theodore Roosevelt, that are willing to step out of partisan politics and actually get them enacted.

Either that or we can just continue to let the status quo deteriorate our once great nation and sit and complain and bicker about it.

Or focus our energies on undefinable terms like marriage and life instead.

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 19:25:25
@DiscordTiger Said

I would have to say, that some sort of healthcare would have to be figured in there, or some sort of temporary welfare in the event of illness.

Making able bodied people work for a living is awesome, I like that idea. There should just be some sort of safety net, so something like a hernia doesn't mean you end up not only with surgery and those costs, but losing your job as a result.

I wasn't sure you were including that sort of short term situation in the "disability" category.

Yes, disability should include temporary disability as long as it cannot be reasonably accommodated through the workplace alone. I also want to note that disabilities are not limited to the physical only. But in all cases, a doctor's assessment and analysis should be the requirement for qualification.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#9New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 19:37:31
I can mostly agree with your suggestions, or sympathize with them, excep the part about charter schools. There's plenty of s***ty charter schools. There's no reason to replace public schools that are doing well.

ON average charter schools do no better than public schools .
Delta62 On February 03, 2023
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 19:52:48
@Leon Said

7. Turn our energy system into one that feeds off of the highly cheap and abundant resource of nuclear energy. With enough of these reactors, our dependence on fossil fuels could end overnight and clean the planet, not to mention make energy cheaper. Yes, there is the issue of nuclear waste, but this provides a far smaller environmental burden on our planet than the burning if fossil fuels does.

I would like to see how this one turns out
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#11New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 20:14:24
i think the best thing, that our leaders can do, you never see this in our government. to eliminate 25% to 50% of the waste of paperwork in government. could image the millions of paper clips could be safe, not use? you know that paper clip is in endanger spices, i bet you didn't know that? let us, that are 50 to 100 offices in the government need one copy, but the waste is they need ten copies of the same thing. it more practice to eliminate 25% of the office, but then you have people in the office, they be unemployed. in sense, the waste of paperwork in the government keep jobs. so no win situation for congress or the president. it like catch 22, the government needs using paperwork to exist. because it need paperwork to prove itself, to say it does exist.
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#12New Post! Sep 23, 2012 @ 21:09:59
@Leon Said

1. End the war on drugs. Talk about a money waster, just as bad as Prohibition. Not only has the fight proven to be wholly ineffective in keeping people off drugs, but it has opened up avenues of crime that is bad as the dependence welfare has created for the inner cities, if not much worse. Legalizing drugs would force sellers and traffickers to look for real work, keep families together instead of in jail, end the dangerous threat of cartels coming from south of our border, and open up additional government revenue via taxation rather than money lost as it is today.

Great idea but it will never happen. There are too many private corporations making some individuals extremely wealthy because of it.

@Leon Said

2. Open the borders. Yes, you read that correctly. America was loved and respected over a hundred years ago, part because it was seen as a welcoming inviter for those who wished a better life, and didn't turn people back, and, contrary to popular racist belief today, additional people coming into the country are not a drag to the economy, but are, in fact contributors to our economy. If this were not true then jobs and opportunity wouldn't be there for them to come to, eliminating the magnet. But they are there, and welcoming instead of fighting them would both save government money and gain taxation revenue, much like the ending of the war on drugs would do. Simply letting the market dictate the magnet is the best way to regulate immigration and doing so would gain our respect and save a big political headache. In order for this to work of course, welfare and government assistance should not be one of the magnets.

Once again it's a nice idea but for the same reasons I stated in #1 it wouldn't work. It also wouldn't work because there are too many jobs that nobody else would take.

Presently a good start would be to make it easier for foreigners to practice in their trained field without it taking years of retraining in the USA. Once you get those people working then open your borders to people that will be productive. In other words stop an immigrant from bringing in their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins twice removed that are too old to be productive.

One last thing... make sure they speak English before they take up residence.

@Leon Said

3. Once the economy is healthy again, end welfare for all except the disabled and elderly. People who are able bodied would learn quickly how to train for and find work as a result, as anybody can who really sets their mind to it. They just don't need to in today's America. Very few homeless people aren't homeless by choice.

What about the victims of misfortune? ie: mothers that have been abandoned by the fathers to name just one type. How do the kids get fed and clothed?

A better solution would be to place tighter controls on those that get welfare and for how long.

@Leon Said

4. End foreign military involvement unless a direct government-level threat is involved. This should have been practiced 10 years ago, before trillions were lost on a meaningless war that alienated the rest of the world. There is a reason the UN and NATO were created, and we should honor these alliances rather than impose our own will over them. One country should never be or behave as the world's police.

The UN and NATO don't work as it stands right now and would need an incredible amount of revamping for them to do any real good. btw, the USA is a major player in both those organizations so you really don't have much to gain. One other thing... for the most part the USA is not alone in fighting those battles even though the majority of Americans think they are.

@Leon Said

5. Turn every school into a charter school. Eliminating the bureaucracy and the one size fits all mentality of school districts and the states, and letting those who do the actual teaching of the students decide what is working and isn't working, via hires, curriculum, and methods, would dictate choice that would alone create success in the schools again and weed out the failures. And, just like all the above, it saves our government money.

Allow the teachers in public schools to be graded and if they fail punt their a** out of the system. Maybe more teachers would change their don't give a s*** attitude into one that means something positive.

@Leon Said

6. Reform campaign finance. Nothing will ever get done for the good of America in the face of corporate greed if we don't do this. Ever.

Why someone would spend millions of dollars to land a job that pays a few hundred thousand is beyond me. Carry on....

@Leon Said

It's a great idea until a major catastrophe hits as it did in Japan or even Three Mile Island ( USA 1979 ). Japan will be closing it's last necular reactor in the near future and will probably never open another one. There's nothing cheaper than learning from someone elses mistakes.

@Leon Said

8. Advocate gasoline free transportation and vehicles, and this will complete the above goal, not to mention render the volatile Middle East as politically unimportant.

It will happen but not overnight like the tree huggers would like. a** it stands now with the electric vechicles that are available it would take months to cross the USA on your annual vacation.

With reference to oil... you import more oil from Canada than any other part of the world.

@Leon Said

9. Amend the Constitution to define "person". Otherwise corporations will continue to be viewed as one by the court and be allowed to behave as they really are: machines with the sole purpose of profit. Anybody with a head on their shoulders can see that corporations are not people and do not behave like people. They therefore need to be held in check from curtailing the rights of those who are actually people, and such an amendment allows this.

I know nothing of your constitution except the gun part so I'll keepa my moutha shutta.

@Leon Said

10. Reform the tax code by simplifying it and eliminate its avenue for politicians to use as a tool for their agenda and its support.

Da samma goesa for dissa.

San Diego, California
#13New Post! Sep 24, 2012 @ 00:27:10
@El_Tino Said

I can mostly agree with your suggestions, or sympathize with them, excep the part about charter schools. There's plenty of s***ty charter schools. There's no reason to replace public schools that are doing well.

ON average charter schools do no better than public schools .

No better maybe, but no worse either. What it does do is eliminate wasteful spending and bureaucracy and allows those directly working with the students in failing inner city schools to determine what their needs are to ensure better test scores, as indicated by your study linked.

San Diego, California
#14New Post! Sep 24, 2012 @ 01:37:06
@ClickBoom Said
It also wouldn't work because there are too many jobs that nobody else would take.

? So.....that's why we open up the borders, so foreigners will take those jobs.

Quote:
What about the victims of misfortune? ie: mothers that have been abandoned by the fathers to name just one type. How do the kids get fed and clothed?

The mothers work. Or better yet, without the dependence available, they will be more careful about who they have sex with and about having babies with that person. People would be forced to be smarter about such things.

Quote:
One other thing... for the most part the USA is not alone in fighting those battles even though the majority of Americans think they are.

Technically you are correct, but the US basically ran it and would have continued doing so without the token support. The war in Iraq wouldn't even have taken place without the US.

Quote:
Allow the teachers in public schools to be graded and if they fail punt their a** out of the system. Maybe more teachers would change their don't give a s*** attitude into one that means something positive.

Pretty much describes what charter schools do.

Quote:
It's a great idea until a major catastrophe hits as it did in Japan or even Three Mile Island ( USA 1979 ). Japan will be closing it's last necular reactor in the near future and will probably never open another one. There's nothing cheaper than learning from someone elses mistakes.

Or build them in safer places. Either way it is still safer than burning up the planet which is what we are doing now. Everything has some risks and these risks can be learned from, dealt with, and minimized without necessarily having to end it altogether.

Sure, or we could use both Dakotas to provide wind power, but nobody seems to like that idea.
ClickBoom On November 12, 2012

, Canada
#15New Post! Sep 24, 2012 @ 02:32:54
@Leon Said

? So.....that's why we open up the borders, so foreigners will take those jobs.

Well the way I see it those jobs could be opened up for all the welfare recipients. That would kill two birds with one stone.

@Leon Said

The mothers work. Or better yet, without the dependence available, they will be more careful about who they have sex with and about having babies with that person. People would be forced to be smarter about such things.

That's being very closed minded Leon. There are many mothers that are not of the mindset that you are alluding to. Many originally were in a " stable " relationship until the husband decided the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.

To just outright make the statement that you did I can tell you didn't come from a broken home or if you did it's been long enough for it to slip from your memory.

I came from a broken home and sure as hell haven't forgotten. My a*****e drunkin' father left my mother in the middle of winter without food or firewood. When he left there were 5 kids. When he sobered up and came back there were 4.

@Leon Said

Technically you are correct, but the US basically ran it and would have continued doing so without the token support. The war in Iraq wouldn't even have taken place without the US.

I'm glad you said it and not me. That was one war that your country should have never started, yes you started it, but your almighty President decided to finish a job his daddy was stupid enough not to. A great percentage of your citizens backed him up as well. You know what they say about hindsight don't you?

In essence you are also correct but should have qualified it by saying " necessary or unnessary " wars as the situation deemed.

@Leon Said

Pretty much describes what charter schools do.

Precisely. The difference as I see it, at least here in Canada, is the public school system employees have a union to back them up and the private ones don't. That being the case the public school system is at a distinct disadvantage for that reason.

@Leon Said

Or build them in safer places. Either way it is still safer than burning up the planet which is what we are doing now. Everything has some risks and these risks can be learned from, dealt with, and minimized without necessarily having to end it altogether.

The Japanese thought they had safety licked. That's never the case when your dealing with something as volatile as a nuclear facility.

@Leon Said

Sure, or we could use both Dakotas to provide wind power, but nobody seems to like that idea.

If you hear and listen to the testimony from people that live near those behemoth fans you wouldn't want them in your back yard either.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs