The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

10% of the world's Wilderness gone in just the past 20 years.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Sep 09, 2016 @ 01:23:33
Researchers found that more than 2 million square miles of wilderness have been wiped out.

To reach those sobering conclusions, the researchers created a map of all wilderness areas in the world today and compared it with a comparable map from the 1990s.

“It’s the first assessment to measure such change over time, and it was staggering to find that an area twice the size of Alaska has been cleared in 20 years,” said lead author James Watson of the University of Queensland in Australia and the Wildlife Conservation Society in New York.

“To lose 10 percent of all wilderness in just 20 years is just unbelievable, because if you follow that logic through, there will be no wilderness left in 50 years,” he said. “We probably have one to two decades to turn this around.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/10-percent-world-wilderness-disappeared-just-20-years-171903623.html
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#2New Post! Sep 09, 2016 @ 06:46:01
As long as there are politicians looking for money and people with lots of money looking to make more money , the world's natural resources don't have a snowball's chance in hell . Conservation is not a word that makes any sense to greedy people, elected or not .

The results of having our government be in charge of our wilderness areas compares to what we would see if a rancher put a pack of wolves to guard his herd .
chaski On about 15 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#3New Post! Sep 09, 2016 @ 07:01:49
I'm not surprised....sadly.

I get out there more than most people and see the "loss"....

It is particularly disheartening to be in a jungle, desert, altiplano or some other very remote area and see plastic bottles, broken glass beer bottles and/or other "modern" human garbage laying about.... or either trekking into or flying over an area of clear-cutting that is in the best scenario a farm and in the worst scenario an area of waste that will take decades to grow back....if ever.

It is helpful to visit a community that is building/growing/thriving based on sustainable ideas including replanting trees and using only solar energy (just spent 2 week near one of these in Cambodia)....still the wilderness in that area is gone.
adrinachrome On April 04, 2023

Fukitall, Arizona
#4New Post! Sep 09, 2016 @ 11:13:32
Its things like this that makes me think that my inability to have kids is probably a good thing.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Sep 13, 2016 @ 03:00:11
Makes for one hell of a boring world for our descendants.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#6New Post! Sep 13, 2016 @ 07:05:42
@shinobinoz Said

Makes for one hell of a boring world for our descendants.

Can just picture my grandkids, grandkids sitting there looking at an eBook of 'natures true beauty' first publish in hard copy in 1995 , and looking out the window at the ,barren , dry dust bowl , void of any green or growing living thing . And the kid thinks ' gee thanks great grandpa and ma '
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs