Biology

Bone Structure

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
trekweb On September 03, 2006

Deleted

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 20:29:59
One of my friends said that the basic structure of your bones will determine if you will get osteoporosis or not. What does everbody else think?

/terkweb/
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#2New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 20:31:36
That would be something to look up. I know that it differs from person to person and can be a trait in a family. We all have big bones (and arent whispy) I dont know of a single case in our family.
gasolinerainbow On December 27, 2013

sha lalalaa..., United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 23, 2006 @ 21:16:01
nope...i dont think it has anything to do with the basic structure of your bones..because everyone's basic structure is pretty much the same.
bone is a special connective tissue which is made up of several cell types surrounded by kind of a collagen matrix upon which there are deposits of calcium and other minerals.throughout our lives, our bones are constantly being remodeled by particular cells.they do this by reabsorbing old bone and forming new bone.but when an imbalance between the reabsorption and the formation of the bone occurs, this leads to weaker bone and suseptibility to fractures etc..

this imbalance usually occurs with aging but can also occur when there's a high concentration of a certain hormone in the plasma that increases reabsorption or a hormone which decreases bone formation..

hope i didnt confuse you..
ghostm On December 10, 2010

Dublin, Ireland
#4New Post! Aug 24, 2006 @ 10:08:27
well i dont think thats really true but i would have to look into it but keeping simple.......i would have thought life experiences would lead to problems like osteoporosis in later life like not drinking enough milk or slouching and things like that im not saying your friend is wrong but i would agree gasolinerainbow that everyones basic bone structure is the same
jurangan_malam On April 28, 2007

Kota Bharu, Malaysia
#5New Post! Apr 28, 2007 @ 08:57:18
i dont think so......
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 28, 2007 @ 09:42:09
there are varying risk factors for osteoporosis including long-term medication.

There are many factors that determine who will develop osteoporosis. The first step in prevention is to determine whether you are at risk, since not everyone is. The risk factors are:

Age. The older you are, the greater your risk of osteoporosis. Your bones become weaker and less dense as you age.

Gender. Your chances of developing osteoporosis are greater if you are a woman. Women have less bone tissue and lose bone more rapidly than men because of the changes involved in menopause.

Family History and Personal History of Fractures as an Adult. Susceptibility to fracture may be, in part, hereditary. Young women whose mothers have a history of vertebral fractures also seem to have reduced bone mass. A personal history of a fracture as an adult also increases your fracture risk.

Race. Caucasian and Asian women are more likely to develop osteoporosis. However, African American and Hispanic women are at significant risk for developing the disease.

Bone Structure and Body Weight. Small-boned and thin women (under 127 pounds) are at greater risk.

Menopause/Menstrual History. Normal or early menopause (brought about naturally or because of surgery) increases your risk of developing osteoporosis. In addition, women who stop menstruating before menopause because of conditions such as anorexia or bulimia, or because of excessive physical exercise, may also lose bone tissue and develop osteoporosis.

Lifestyle. Current cigarette smoking, drinking too much alcohol, consuming an inadequate amount of calcium or getting little or no weight-bearing exercise, increases your chances of developing osteoporosis.

Medications/Chronic Diseases. A significant and often overlooked risk factor in the development of osteoporosis is the use of certain medications to treat chronic medical conditions. Medications to treat disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, endocrine disorders (i.e. an under-active thyroid), seizure disorders and gastrointestinal diseases may have side effects that can damage bone and lead to osteoporosis.

One class of drugs that has particularly damaging effects on the skeleton is glucocorticoids. The following drugs also can cause bone loss:

excessive thyroid hormones
anticonvulsants
antacids containing aluminum
gonadotropin releasing hormones (GnRH) used for treatment of endometriosis
methotrexate for cancer treatment
cyclosporine A, an immunosuppressive drug
heparin and cholestyramine, taken to control blood cholesterol levels.

https://www.nof.org/prevention/risk.htm
jollivee On September 28, 2009

walnut, California
#7New Post! Jul 29, 2009 @ 15:55:57
According to research, underweight people are more prone to developing osteoporosis instead of the overweight. The reason is that bones of overweight people were used to carrying workloads. It is also better for people 40 years old and above to undergo Dexa Scans to know about the condition of their bone structure (if it's becoming brittle or not.). Dexa Scan
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs