Forums:
Health & Fitness

New Requirements for School Lunches to be Enforced

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
taintedblue_i On August 12, 2008

--------, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 16:55:02
I got this through the post the other week and thought some of you might be interested..

What do you think of these new requirements? Is it being taken too far or is it not enough? Should more fruits and vegetables be served, despite the minimum of two portions? Is it silly to ban confectionary and savoury snacks, as in moderation they'd be fine, or is it necessary to ban them because there would be no way to stop children eating too much? And bearing that point in mind, they can serve healthy foods, but can they make pupils eat them?
Any opinions welcome! I'm keen to hear what you think.
sazzie On August 22, 2010

Being naughty :P, United Kingd
#2New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 16:57:28
Well it's about time!
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 17:00:54
Although I abhor the fact that the government must get involved in order for children to eat healthily, I think this is a good thing.

With growing commercial and media encouragement for children to eat crap, it's almost impossible for parents to exert and equal influence for them to eat healthily, especially when they are out from under your roof and beyond your sphere of influence.
richy On September 05, 2007

Some Personal Hell, United Kin
#4New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 17:12:23
i think its stupid that chocolate is being outright banned!
research has shown that the benefits of chocolate far outweigh the downsides!
yes sure theres some sugar, and fats in it, however our body requires sugar and fats to survive of certain levels and chocolate hardly breaks the limits set!
chocolate also acts as a source of fibre (the darker the better in this case) which not only helps passage of food throguh gut easier reducing cases of piles etc also reduces cases of colon cancer. Choc also contains anti-oxidants which are supposed to be good at helping prevent cancers and illness n/b this is debateable and some sources now feel that anti oxidants do more harm than good to the body, eating chocolate also produces endomorphines (can someone confirm thats the right name) which help rise moods. chocolate has also been linked to reducing chances of circuming to heart disease!
so the goverment has actually gone and outright banned one of the "healthiest" things that children can have in there school meals. however this has its limits as you cant count twix or mars as being covered under this argument however something such as a plain dairy milk bar, or a dark chocolate bar can be highly beneficial to the human diet, raising mood, and reducing cases of illness!
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 17:17:30
@richy Said
i think its stupid that chocolate is being outright banned!
research has shown that the benefits of chocolate far outweigh the downsides!
yes sure theres some sugar, and fats in it, however our body requires sugar and fats to survive of certain levels and chocolate hardly breaks the limits set!
chocolate also acts as a source of fibre (the darker the better in this case) which not only helps passage of food throguh gut easier reducing cases of piles etc also reduces cases of colon cancer. Choc also contains anti-oxidants which are supposed to be good at helping prevent cancers and illness n/b this is debateable and some sources now feel that anti oxidants do more harm than good to the body, eating chocolate also produces endomorphines (can someone confirm thats the right name) which help rise moods. chocolate has also been linked to reducing chances of circuming to heart disease!
so the goverment has actually gone and outright banned one of the "healthiest" things that children can have in there school meals. however this has its limits as you cant count twix or mars as being covered under this argument however something such as a plain dairy milk bar, or a dark chocolate bar can be highly beneficial to the human diet, raising mood, and reducing cases of illness!

Well, I think all of the benefits you describe above are actually attributed to cocoa solids which is not particularly prevalent in everyday confectionary. Expensive chocolate, yes, but your average dairy milk bar contains limited amounts of cocoa solids, since this improves profit margins.

Everything you described above can be obtained from a healthy, balanced diet. If a child wishes to have chocolate, or if a parent wishes to give chocolate at home, then they can do so. But chocolate really isn't an essential part of a healthy diet.
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#6New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 17:18:45
Kids are VERY overweight to begin with adding the fact that very few of them actually go out to play anymore. It seems like "lower income" families have more active children because they have less to do in their homes and "wealthier income" families have all the toys, cable stations, etc a kid could want.

I think this eating thing is LONG over due however in most schools its given as an option. (Example) Going through the line you get your hot dish (burrito, nuggests, sandwhich) and milk then you go to another part of the cafetiria to pick out your vegis and fruit. Most kids dont do this and there is NO WAY to monitor them and force them to eat it.
forkmeimgood__x On May 25, 2008

SouthShields, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 17:42:23
School meals suck now.
I say bring back the greasy burgers and chips, and a lovely treacle pudding for afters.
Just because some people eat a bit more than they should why should everyone else suffer?
I turned out fine.

--------, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 20:12:18
@sweetrnsugar77 Said
Kids are VERY overweight to begin with adding the fact that very few of them actually go out to play anymore. It seems like "lower income" families have more active children because they have less to do in their homes and "wealthier income" families have all the toys, cable stations, etc a kid could want.

I think this eating thing is LONG over due however in most schools its given as an option. (Example) Going through the line you get your hot dish (burrito, nuggests, sandwhich) and milk then you go to another part of the cafetiria to pick out your vegis and fruit. Most kids dont do this and there is NO WAY to monitor them and force them to eat it.

At our school you don't do that..actually, I'm not sure..you might...ummm...haven't eaten in there for nearly three years because I get all panicky when I eat in public and there are so many people in there I get sorta claustrophobic..
I think ours is all at one bench but then again, as you said, they don't choose the vegetables.
BabyRS On February 14, 2015

, Singapore
#9New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 20:16:21
I saw this documentary - and I can't for the life of me remember the title now - about school lunches for kids in different parts of the world. Apparently, in Italy, no matter what kind of school it is, it's a nationwide rule that the dishes served should never have any fried items.

As such, pastas and salads are served, tossed with sauces which have been simmered over a fire.
christa On January 14, 2009

, Canada
#10New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 20:22:21
@forkmeimgood__x Said
School meals suck now.
I say bring back the greasy burgers and chips, and a lovely treacle pudding for afters.
Just because some people eat a bit more than they should why should everyone else suffer?
I turned out fine.

you can be as skinny as ever and still be unhealthy with high cholesterol which causes heart attacks!!!!!!

--------, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 20:23:48
Yes, if a kid is really thin and can get away with eating junk food, in the short time they might not see the problem-they stay thin, but as an adult they are more vulnerable to a lot of conditions.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#12New Post! Aug 06, 2006 @ 23:03:57
I have to agree that the kids need a greatly balanced meal at school because in some cases that's the only time they get a meal that does'nt exist mainly of junk food or fat filled foods.

--------, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 07, 2006 @ 20:01:39
Yeah, you have a fair point there. Also, the school gives free school meals to people with parents in a certain income bracket or situation, so that kids get to eat decent meals even if their parents can't afford to give them lunch money6.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs