Kids

Summer Camp

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:10:41
Did anyone go to summer camp? Does anyone send thier kids?

Im seriously considering sending mine for a week in the Summer so that i can have a break.

I am checking them all out and reading the recommendations. However if i think about my son, im scared of him being alone and sad.

My daughter will be absolutely fine, she is like me. She will adapt to anything and make freinds with anyone.

My son is great at making freinds, but at night times he misses me so much.

Any positive tales to tell me?
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#2New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:22:57
We don't have much of a summer camp thing in Australia. There are a few but they are usually priced out of the reach of the ordinary family. Like most things these days I guess.

There are some horse riding camps that go for a week to a few weeks. I'm curious of the cost for a weeks worth if we have one near here.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:25:05
i'm not too sure, do you get summer camps in the UK? never heard of anyone sending there kids to one - but i've seen to many movies where summer camp tends to screw up young kids to know well enough that they are better bugging me for the week, i don't need a hand screwing my kids' lives up i do a good enough job of that myself
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:37:57
Yeah there are lots of summer camps in the UK now, the one i was looking at has been established for 25 years now
jaded_1 On June 02, 2006

Derry, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:43:52
I don't think I would trust anyplace enough to look after my kids for a whole week.

Besides it's not fair on them to make them deal with the upoheaval.

I don't know how I would package it to them either. I mean what do you tell them when you sit them down to try to justify them being sent packing for a week or 2 so that I don't have to look after them.
cole On October 22, 2023

Stirling, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:44:41
@treebee Said
Yeah there are lots of summer camps in the UK now, the one i was looking at has been established for 25 years now
cool i didn't know that, didn't really think there was much need for it and only really existed in the US. mind you know that you mention it i do remember an old mate working down near Ross on Wye just on the welsh border on some kids camp thing, i just kinda thought it was for posh kids though from the stories he told me it was all sex and drugs and drink for those supervising the kids
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#7New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:46:07
I've worked in Summer camps and they are great for kids.

A well run camp will have experts in all the activities and trained staff that can spot the "loner" kid very quickly and take great care of them.

I've seen some very troubled kids get great pleasure from the camps and all the activities they take part in.

I teach Kayaking and the growth in the confidence of the quiet or shy kids over the week is fantastic to see.

I'd really recommend it Treebee.
x_chanelle_x On December 09, 2009

Deleted

Untitled!, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:51:20
I never knew we had summer camps in the uk?!
well for some peace and quiet then i guess you could send them away! im sure if my mum had money she would do that to us all
hmmmm.... well i think it could be a posisitive experience for you all, because then they would like almost 'grow up' and adapt to where they are, it could be seen as almost a school trip where they shall meet plenty of new kids from different places and different ages.
I wouldnt of had a porblem if i was sent to a summer camp... i love being away from home and meeting new people, however though i wouldnt go to one now, purely because i love going out with my friends too much!
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#9New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:52:37
I wnet to Camp Europe 4 years ago, as a Camp leader. i was in germany. We had loads of kids fromt he UK, and they did everthing from Ko karts to building bridges... was wicked!! sadly i was only there for 2 weeks, i had a really bad allegic reaction to cheap suncream and had to go home!
jaded_1 On June 02, 2006

Derry, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 12:58:44
where do you teach Kayaking at?

AS I'm not far from where you live i might be able to use this facility for the family during the good weather this summer.

@bendover Said
I've worked in Summer camps and they are great for kids.

A well run camp will have experts in all the activities and trained staff that can spot the "loner" kid very quickly and take great care of them.

I've seen some very troubled kids get great pleasure from the camps and all the activities they take part in.

I teach Kayaking and the growth in the confidence of the quiet or shy kids over the week is fantastic to see.

I'd really recommend it Treebee.
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 13:28:19
tbh, im very much stuck with my kids. My Sons social worker feels it would do me a lot of good to have a weeks respite from them.

My son has some problems and he really needs something like this.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#12New Post! May 31, 2006 @ 14:08:33
Honestly Treebee the group I worked for was a team called Extern. 85% of the kids we dealt with had the full spectrum of troubles at home. We had close contact with the Social services who gave selective briefings on some of the kids (with their parent's approval) to akllow us to be prepared for what was coming our way.

The camp was on the lakes in Fermanagh and had access directly to the lake for water sports, a wooded area for other activities, cliffs for the climbing and abseiling and caves for potholing.

The kids never stopped. It was go go go all the time and they didn't have time or space to be up to any drinking etc.

The most common sight at the end of a camp should that only be a weekend camp was a bus full of sleeping teenagers being driven home in total silence.

Give them the opportunity Treebee.
arod On December 19, 2008

NYC, New York
#13New Post! Jun 18, 2006 @ 03:45:35
i went to a cool camp up in connecticut, we went to waterparks and s*** like
that
emorock123 On February 02, 2019

, Australia
#14New Post! Jun 20, 2006 @ 13:17:15
what ages r ure kids treebs coz i think thats a kinda deciding factor in weteher u should or not!
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#15New Post! Jun 20, 2006 @ 13:22:43
I went to summer camp for many years when I was in school and I had a great time everytime. It taught me alot of responsibility as they made us be responsible for our onw bunks and such. I looked forward to going each year. My youngest daughter goes to several during the summer now, she's gone 4-6 weeks out of the summer because she enjoys them so much.

You know your son better than any of us do so you know as a mother if he can handle the stress of being away from home or not.

Here in the states we have mini camps for those kids who have not been away from home much that only last about 1-2 days just to test them out and see how they will do .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs