Man jailed for leaving car lights on

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
st0nerdude On March 28, 2009

pfft, Denmark
#31New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:01:16
@stumblinthrulife Said
There we have it. I think they followed the advice that is being touted in this very thread.

He was warned - this being the most leniant thing the police could do, and the least resources used.

He failed to heed the warning, so he was issued a fixed fine. This is the next fastest fix the police have on their hands. Five minutes, ten minutes tops.

He refused to pay the fine, so he was taken to court. I would be very surprised if he wasn't given an opportunity to pay up at this point too, but I can't say that with any degree of certainty. He didn't pay, so he went to prison.

What would anyone have them do, other than this?

I think out Mr Potter knew damn well what he was doing, and knew that he could sell his story to a tabloid for twice what he earns in a week, making his 5 days in the nick a nice little earner, don't you think?

yes
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#32New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:01:20
@stumblinthrulife Said

I think out Mr Potter knew damn well what he was doing, and knew that he could sell his story to a tabloid for twice what he earns in a week, making his 5 days in the nick a nice little earner, don't you think?

Got to give him credit then for initiative
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#33New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:01:31
Such are the priorities of government.
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#34New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:02:13
@sheepy Said
You are in the US - here is a US statistics site Clicky How about amending your post to show something that is actually true and not sensationalistic
You might also amend the above to not be so patronising.

Uhmmm, you just posted a link offering evidence that supported the original statement. Accidents, including traffic accidents, are the top killer in all age groups under 45, with homicide coming in between 2nd and 6th.
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#35New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:03:14
@sheepy Said
You are in the US - here is a US statistics site Clicky How about amending your post to show something that is actually true and not sensationalistic

He's not being any more sensationalistic than you were with the original posting. Depending upon age groupings (based upon the site you provided), there are more than twice the number of deaths caused by motor vehicle accidents than homicides, and for any age range, they're still significantly greater than the homicide rate.
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#36New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:03:21
@bendover Said
Some of you folks don't know my background and what I do "know" about the law and the allocation of resources by enforcement agencies.

You used to work for customs right?
Do you care to elaborate?
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#37New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:04:30
@stumblinthrulife Said
@sheepy Said

Uhmmm, you just posted a link offering evidence that supported the original statement. Accidents, including traffic accidents, are the top killer in all age groups under 45, with homicide coming in between 2nd and 6th.

Oh yes, but I thought the poster was saying it was the top killer - more than the others. Traffic accidents are dwarfed by combined killer statistics of all the others combined.
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#38New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:06:03
@bandylank Said
You used to work for customs right?
Do you care to elaborate?

NO! This is Ireland I'm in.
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#39New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:08:06
@bendover Said
NO! This is Ireland I'm in.

ah yes, sorry
paramour On July 30, 2014

Purgatory Beach,
#40New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 21:08:56
@sheepy Said
Oh yes, but I thought the poster was saying it was the top killer - more than the others. Traffic accidents are dwarfed by combined killer statistics of all the others combined.

A matter of misinterpretation then - because the poster clearly stated deaths due to traffic accidents over criminally induced ones.

Edit: You still have to take into consideration that accidents (including motor vehicle accidents) are the number one cause of death for people UNDER the age of 45, so traffic accidents are not necessarily "dwarfed" by any stretch of the imagination for this age group, only for those 45+.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#42New Post! May 15, 2006 @ 23:37:16
"Traffic policing is unimportant" is obviously wrong, especially in light of the death statistics someone very generously posted.

"Driving on motorways is simply too dangerous, let's do away with them" is obviously beyond the pale.

The answer is to allocate the resources to effectively police our roadways and make them safer - exactly what the police officer in the original post was doing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs