Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Kids

Ok, I need some advice here

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#1New Post! Apr 05, 2006 @ 13:36:30
Yea, I know, I'm old right, what the heck do I need advice for...lol. I firmly believe in never stopping learning, so here I am tryin to learn alittle somethin....

Ok, here's the deal:

My 10 yo daughter has joined basketball...the first of all my children to ever be in a sport, the first in my entire immediate family actually...we are not natural sporty people...more the creative, artsy fartsy types. Anyway, I highly encourage any and all interests my children have because I want them to experience everything they can in life. I, not being a sporty person, however, have no idea what to do about a little dilemma I have. This 10 yo daughter of which I speak has gotten upset that no one passes the ball to her during the games. I, being the ever involved parent that I am, watched her first game like a hawk and can tell you that she wasn't making herself "open" (I believe that's the right word) to passes. No arms up high in the air, yellin "I'm open, I'm open". Now, am I right, or am I right on this? OF course, she argued with me about it, like I am blind as a bat and couldn't see that she wasn't doing these things...grrrrrrr.

How do I encourage her to participate more without sounding too critical. I already praised her to the high heavens. But, yet she was still upset about the ending of the game because there was a tie and she had wanted to WIN. Of course I laid the speech about "its the fun you have while playing that matters most, not who wins or loses" on her and also explained to her that her team was far behind in points at one time in the game, so she should be greatful they did tie. The world of sports is completely new to me here, but I want to do the right thing with my daughter...I want to knock the perfectionist attitude out of her. Any ideas?

And, I must add...there were some iddy biddy little girls in that game and they made up for their lack of height in skillzzzz, those iddy biddys did better than some of the taller girls. It was so adorable watchin.
seekurbliss On January 22, 2007

Memphis, Tennessee
#2New Post! Apr 05, 2006 @ 13:43:43
First of all, i doubt you'll ever "knock the perfectionist attitude out of her" so i'd quit trying.
Sounds like she is still learning the game etc...
give it time;
either she'll get better at it or decide something else might be better.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs