Society & Lifestyles

illegal immigrants in UK

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ann On May 16, 2007

Deleted

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 20:45:45
I was watching "Dispatch" yesterday and it was relating to asylum seekers in Britain and showed the procedures of how people are smaggled in to the UK. This is a touchy subject, but I do admire the British government helping these people who are in desperate need. However I guess some people are exploiting the system and is creating problems, because the government is too much of a soft touch. But I'm sure there are a lot of geniune people who is fleeing persecution, war, famine etc and the only country they can turn to for help is good old England. I don't know.....what are your veiws on this?.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#2New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 20:56:15
As a bit of an alternative view on this touchy subject - asylum seekers, and hey, even bogus asylum seekers - these people have often made their way across continents to reach Britain, they've showed they want to make something better of their lives, they have showed "get up and go" - maybe, just maybe that's the sort of spirit of person who would be a good immigrant to welcome here, someone who really wants to get up off their backside.
As opposed to some of our home grown population Clicky

Two sides to every story.
Of course, it's a small island, there are considerations of how many immigrants we can take, infrastructure, even the question of seemingly letting in people who abuse the hospitality of the host nation.

It's all for debate - or should be all for debate. Unfortunately, there are too many in positions of power who don't want this debated, and will scream "racism" if anyone so much as hints that immigration is anything but the most wonderful thing ever. Stifle the debate - and we only give a good breeding ground for extremism and other assorted lunatics of both persuasions.
ann On May 16, 2007

Deleted

london, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 21:09:21
I'm glad someone has an opinion. I think everyone wanting a better life and security should be welcome here, cause it's a fab country, but sure it's a smalll country and can only hold so much ammount of people.
kerrigwen On May 13, 2008

Mississauga, Canada
#4New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 21:15:12
I'm all in agreement with sheepy here. Canada's had its hands full with shiploads of illegal immigrants coming over, and even though it was hard to watch them being sent back to their country, I dont think it was out of line.

As maybe witnessed in some other thread ( ) - I'm all for new and mixed cultures, and that happens through immigration. But gov'ts do have to consider practical things like jobs for everyone and influxes and how they're going to be supported.
ann On May 16, 2007

Deleted

london, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 21:18:48
I think some people on here is abit hesitant on expressing their opinion on this topic. I remember someone posting a very strong but negative point of view on this, not naming names but I wonder where they are.
Shug On March 17, 2011

Dewsbury/Leeds, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 21:45:59
I see a lot of ignorant hatred towards immigrants. Many believe that they get preferential treatment! These idiots aren't helping the debate.
BabyRS On February 14, 2015

, Singapore
#7New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 21:46:54
I think when a country becomes an 'option' for others to try means and ways (legally or otherwise) to settle there - it shows how far that country has come. The promise of better living, perhaps? or even a shadow of a shadow of a dream... it represents 'hope' for those who are less privileged.

I've seen it through documentaries, and read the 'ingenous' lengths a few will go to in order to get closer to a 'better life'. It strikes an emphatic chord in me... but when we consider the picture on a grandiose long term scale, they will undoubtedly pose some problem or another. This may be a generalisation, of course, and I have absolutely nothing against those seeking to better their options - in fact I have nothing but respect for them... they who aren't just willing to take what life has dished out and rest on their laurels. But entering the country illegally should not be a means to an end.

Maybe UK (and the rest of the developed world, for that matter) has a wide expanse of land and opportunities for them... but those who try to sneak into Singapore never cease to amaze me. The total area of Singapore, including the main island and all the islets, is 647.5 square kilometres. Some of the states in the US is bigger than the whole of Singapore! Where would they think they can run to?

They come southwards from Russia, China and Vietnam through Malaysia, and get caught off Singapore's waters. Those that don't... just a matter of time before the police get tipped off. Employment is very very strict here... if a company gets caught with a single illegal worker, their licence is immediately stripped. No ifs, ands or buts. Most don't take the chance, for valid reasons... yet these people still attempt to come in, and what was once thought to be a better place to live become hell's gate when they turn to vice to support themselves.

I don't know how it's like in other countries with regard to the treatment of illegal immigrants, but the blatant disregard for the consequences by the illegals trying to sneak in here is just an indication as to how desperate they are. There is no exceptions to the rule when they get caught... deportation, and a blacklisting.

But then again, desperation and hope are the most powerful motivators, and for that little stab at chance, there are no limits to what these people are willing to go through.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs