Society & Lifestyles

Is "text-speak" taking over ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
papaumau On May 28, 2006

, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Mar 24, 2006 @ 15:41:27
It's those little phones that are to blame for text-speak as the peeps have found how to get around the three letters and a number that are on every key. If you HAVE to go through all of the letters to get to a letter or number you are bound to try to find a short-hand way to do it; hence text-speak !

If all of the mobiles had finger-sized "qwerty" keyboards that would allow all of the usual grammar and punctuation that is needed they would either be too big to carry or the keys would be so small that you would have to use a stylus like they do in palm-pilots etc'.

So, it seems that it is the size of the human fingers that are causing us to lose our talent at writing "proper" English !

Maybe more accurate speech-recognition programmes would sort this large-finger problem and then we would just have to talk to our phones to make text........

Wait a minute.....Thats what we used to do to our phones....TALK TO THEM !
onlyme On April 17, 2007

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Mar 24, 2006 @ 15:42:55
some people are bad with text talk lol.... my mate texts me and she puts everythin really short hand like 2 letters for one word and it takes like 10 mins to figure out what shes sayin lol then you gotta text and ask what she means lol she woulda been quicker writing it prop to start wit
sean_de_foot_longe On May 02, 2016

I'm behind you!!, United Kingd
#48New Post! Mar 24, 2006 @ 15:48:57
Ahh, it is taking over!! I was on the bus yesterday, and there was aguy writing stuff on a piece of paper I couldnt help notice somethings, he was writing Ill go 2 manchester wi....
It was hoorible I hate people not speaking,wrighting right
onlyme On April 17, 2007

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Mar 24, 2006 @ 15:51:26
i have to admit i say "lol" so much on the feckin computer that sometimes when i hear summit funny i can hear myself sayin "lol" in my head now that IS BAD!
emorock123 On February 02, 2019

, Australia
#50New Post! Mar 24, 2006 @ 15:54:44
i say lol 2 much and ye txt spk is takng ovr
sorry text speak is taking over
c what i mean
unidentifiedangel On September 09, 2009

Quezon City, Philippines
#51New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 07:52:49
I used to be addicted to text speak a long time ago. I couldnt help myself! It was just so easy and it saved me a lot of time when I texted other people. However my mum got shocked when my usual A in English turned into a B. That's when I realized what it was doing to my English so I decided to text with proper spelling and grammer. Now whenever I see text speak it irritates me. :P But I figure some people just cant help it.
blayde On December 04, 2006

Deleted

Essex, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Mar 28, 2006 @ 07:56:56
wat mkes u fink it tkin ovr..... nah kiddin'... i hate 'text' speak, it's unintelligent and pathetic. No wonder Chavs like to use it... Uh but then I understand, they can't afford much credit, they're too busy shootin' up or stealing cars, so then I guess 'text' speak comes in handy...
nerophoira On October 01, 2007

my castle of dreams, United Ki
#53New Post! Apr 05, 2006 @ 10:07:38
text writeing should be banned
taintedblue_i On August 12, 2008

--------, United Kingdom
#54New Post! Apr 05, 2006 @ 10:11:27
@papaumau Said
As I read a few of the more recent threads here I have noticed that there are more and more people using "text-speak" here !

You know...No upper-case, no punctuation and words and numbers mixed up to shorten words like "m8" instead of "mate" etc' !

Don't get me wrong here as I am not just being an old fogie and dissing text-speak out of hand; I am just asking if the continued use of shorthand texting in mobile-phones is influencing how many people write just about anywhere..AND..is that a good thing if it is true ?

I know, I hate that!!
My Dad actually does that when he emails me!!
I nearly never use text-speak online, but I do resort to my version of text-speak when I text people. My version includes all the same abbreviations as usual, except I always fully punctuate it I can't help it, my love affair with apostrophes has gone too far!!
stefficles On January 18, 2009

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Apr 05, 2006 @ 11:25:27
@taintedblue_i Said
I know, I hate that!!
My Dad actually does that when he emails me!!
I nearly never use text-speak online, but I do resort to my version of text-speak when I text people. My version includes all the same abbreviations as usual, except I always fully punctuate it I can't help it, my love affair with apostrophes has gone too far!!

I'm exactly the same!! I use the abbreviations... well some of them, not to extremes... Just like... "wi" "n" "jus" and stuff like that. It's still completely legible and I do try to type properly on the internet now... Not perfect, but I try!
jismo On August 09, 2012

bismarck, North Dakota
#56New Post! Jul 05, 2008 @ 22:51:25
Sometimes it does, there is no extra thought in typing lol... saying I laughed out loud is a little strange to speak in a conversation don't you think?
listenup On July 20, 2008

glasgow, United Kingdom
#57New Post! Jul 05, 2008 @ 23:13:44
Totally agree with you, it is taking over. I tend to text a lot and have found myself wanting to use text speak when emailing or messaging, having to try hard now not to do it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs