Society & Lifestyles

EXAMS GET EASIER AND EASIER??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 11:33:56
One of my colleges was just saying that his daughter has got A* in all her GCSE's and 2 A-levels, but she cant add up for s***, and she cant spell correctly at all..

He discovered this the other day when she was planning how to get out of finacial diffculty. She had to use a calculator for the easiest of sums.. he quized her and made her add a sum in her head.. she failed..

He's been looking at his other daughters school books to see what there learning. He cant beleive that basic education is being missed..

With regard to the GCSE exams for 16 year olds and the A'levels for 18 year olds, EVERY experienced teacher whom I have spoken to admits that these exams have become easier in the last 10 years, and this explains the rising number of passes and the higher grades now being obtained both at GCSE and at A'level. These same teachers, however, also state that they would never openly admit to these facts in public.

The lower exam standards certainly make it much easier for the teaching profession to claim that it is achieving its aims - though this is somewhat offset by the extra difficulties involved in trying to teach ever-more disruptive, increasingly uninterested pupils - with matters made even worse by the paucity of sanctions that are available with which to deal with them, and by the inability and/or unwillingness of so many parents to bring up their children properly.

We can see this with drop out rates from uni is at a high, Unemployment for 16-21 is at a record high...

This generation is going to face even more problems when the school reforms happen....
whiter_light On October 21, 2008

Melbourne, Australia
#2New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 12:03:21
Easier? Will someone please inform my lecturers? Old fools keep making them harder
lily On April 21, 2009

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 12:12:00
i must be sitting different ones then, they not dont get anything but harder here
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#4New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 12:20:38
well... its all relative. in the past the exams were harder and a greater proportion of ppl failed them. So, which do u want?
more ppl failing thinking they wont be able to go onto higher education, like myself, or the opposite?
my arithmatic is s***!!!
i still dont know my multiplication tables. I have to add and subtract. HOWEVER... it doesnt mean the exam was easier... just means im not good at it. I dont strive to be good at mental arithmatic when I always have a calculator on me.
My maths is actually VERY GOOD! my calculus and algerbra is university standard... but only cos it has to be!!!

so in my opinion.. the exams are getting easier... they're changing with the times! go and give an IT exam to someone in the 50's and tell me they're getting easier!!!
keighley On June 15, 2006

Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 12:27:50
@lily Said
i must be sitting different ones then, they not dont get anything but harder here

me too! there's no way their getting any easier. I enjoy math and thought I was good at it until I got no award in my results for 2005, I'm resitting this year and understand it more but there is abs. no way their getting easier!!
innit!

#6New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 12:35:26
@steraw04 Said
well... its all relative. in the past the exams were harder and a greater proportion of ppl failed them. So, which do u want?
more ppl failing thinking they wont be able to go onto higher education, like myself, or the opposite?
my arithmatic is s***!!!
i still dont know my multiplication tables. I have to add and subtract. HOWEVER... it doesnt mean the exam was easier... just means im not good at it. I dont strive to be good at mental arithmatic when I always have a calculator on me.
My maths is actually VERY GOOD! my calculus and algerbra is university standard... but only cos it has to be!!!

so in my opinion.. the exams are getting easier... they're changing with the times! go and give an IT exam to someone in the 50's and tell me they're getting easier!!!

Im talking about maths english history....etc... the core subjects... you have just proved my point about the Multipication tables.. i had them ramed in my head since i was 8!! Calculus and algerbra to uni standerd?? Im seriously doubting you did the Uniqueness Theorem in intergration calculus. Degree standerd maths if taught in a A-level situation is a waste of time, the exam wouldnt even cover the topic.. i think you have studied Newtons or Leibniz intergration.. if you get good results in that then your at university entry level...

Toronto, Canada
#7New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:09:01
my calculus is newtonian/leibniz based simply because of my physics background... its a good place to start because of mechanics and dynamics.
i THINK... ive done something on uniqueness theorem... but I think that was an example for LaPlaces equation in electrostatics.
okay... did u remember the multiplication table bcos u had a good teacher...or have a good memory??
everyone else in my classes knew the multiplication tables... i was sort of the exception.
maybe it was a rebellious nature?

my english also used be VERY good at school but since then its gone downhill since i never use it.

another thing to note about exams getting easier is that teaching styles have also changed. Even though the core subjects are important they are tended to be neglected to other areas as well.
To be honest, my maths and english is just as good, if not better, than my fathers. Does that still mean the exams are getting easier?

im not arguing... just saying... its not easy to say whether exams are getting easier or not. maybe standards are being watered down... not just exams?
i.e. more students take media studies A-level than A-level Physics.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#8New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:11:18
I would like to know how people can fail an open book exam. I once saw someone fail an open book exam where the questions even gave the page number.

Toronto, Canada
#9New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:15:15

REALLY???
maybe he took in the wrong notes!!!
ive not had an open book exam yet. They seem rather scary to me... its like... there trying to catch u out... by allowing u to take in notes.
innit!

#10New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:15:19
@steraw04 Said
my calculus is newtonian/leibniz based simply because of my physics background... its a good place to start because of mechanics and dynamics.
i THINK... ive done something on uniqueness theorem... but I think that was an example for LaPlaces equation in electrostatics.
okay... did u remember the multiplication table bcos u had a good teacher...or have a good memory??
everyone else in my classes knew the multiplication tables... i was sort of the exception.
maybe it was a rebellious nature?

my english also used be VERY good at school but since then its gone downhill since i never use it.

another thing to note about exams getting easier is that teaching styles have also changed. Even though the core subjects are important they are tended to be neglected to other areas as well.
To be honest, my maths and english is just as good, if not better, than my fathers. Does that still mean the exams are getting easier?

im not arguing... just saying... its not easy to say whether exams are getting easier or not. maybe standards are being watered down... not just exams?
i.e. more students take media studies A-level than A-level Physics.

I think we should put it this way (oh by the way cool on the physics alot of respect there, mine was engineering..) the teachers have got good in teaching people to pass exams.. instead of teaching what is needed to be known in life, then test them.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#11New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:19:57
@steraw04 Said

REALLY???
maybe he took in the wrong notes!!!
ive not had an open book exam yet. They seem rather scary to me... its like... there trying to catch u out... by allowing u to take in notes.

This goofball liked to think and brag about being the most intelligent person. yeah right.

Toronto, Canada
#12New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:21:25
engineers are cool! they're like... scientists... but cooler... and have a life!
yes... thats a very good point markfox!
oh s***... just forgot i have a mid-semester test next wednesday!!!
oh shag........
innit!

#13New Post! Mar 07, 2006 @ 13:23:31
@steraw04 Said
engineers are cool! they're like... scientists... but cooler... and have a life!
yes... thats a very good point markfox!
oh s***... just forgot i have a mid-semester test next wednesday!!!
oh shag........

Im an aircraft engineer.. well was i just recruit them now...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs