Longest War

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Estevanico On September 15, 2021

Tustin, California
#16New Post! Sep 04, 2021 @ 19:53:46
@chaski Said

Oh... I thought you were talking about U.S. wars.

Longest war... maybe the Hundred Years' War 116 years.... or a better choice might be Anglo-French Wars 748 years or the Reconquista 781 years... or maybe the entire period of Roman Empire expansion....

But was he really a "combatant" for those post WW2 years? Or was he a soldier living/surviving in a jungle, but not actually engaged in combat?

Maybe I should have said French and Indian War.

So when did combat end for Onoda? Maybe when the Philippine Army killed the last of his companions. I don't remember when that happened.

Also, Onoda served as an intelligence officer. He had gone to Lubang to watch American ship movements. He had alerted his superiors when the Lingayan invasion fleet passed Lubang. He continued in that capacity for 30 years until a superior officer ordered him to surrender.

As to the end of the war, maybe the the Japanese won in 1970 when they had access to Malaysian rubber, Indonesian oil, Australian plywood and coal, and American markets ... all the things that had lead them to war in the first place.

Tustin, California
#17New Post! Sep 04, 2021 @ 20:02:49
@Leon Said

Or maybe he was one of those guys that thought it never ended because his chain of command stopped communicating orders to him and nobody was there to deliver the news. I’ve heard stories like that, don’t remember if they were fictional or not.

Onoda didn't know, or he refused to believe, that the war had ended.

For a while he had a short wave radio, which he stole from a local farmer. He knew about the 1964 Tokyo Olympic. He asked himself, "Could a defeated nation host the Oympics?" He thought the answer was no.
chaski On about 17 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#18New Post! Sep 04, 2021 @ 21:06:47
@Estevanico Said

Onoda didn't know, or he refused to believe, that the war had ended.

None the less, it had ended.

Tustin, California
#19New Post! Sep 05, 2021 @ 21:38:19
@chaski Said

None the less, it had ended.

A friend of mine from high school told me that his great grandfather learned about the Japanese surrender while on a troop ship on its way to Kyushu.

Probably Gramps would agree with you.
Darkman666 On about 3 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#20New Post! Sep 05, 2021 @ 21:54:45
when my grandma alive, when she was young. she was cleaning her toilet one day. the title boat man in the toilet, he told her that www2 was over!

Tustin, California
#21New Post! Sep 06, 2021 @ 13:44:59
@Darkman666 Said

when my grandma alive, when she was young. she was cleaning her toilet one day. the title boat man in the toilet, he told her that www2 was over!

Should I ask, "What is a title boat man?"

Tustin, California
#22New Post! Sep 06, 2021 @ 14:00:44
The Spanish American War has odd boundries like World War II. The official action lasted less than a year, but the Philippine insurrection lasted at least a decade, and the occupation lasted until the liberation by Japan?

Saint Louis, Missouri
#23New Post! Sep 06, 2021 @ 14:50:04
@Estevanico Said

Should I ask, "What is a title boat man?"

years ago, there was tv commercial got on. i misspelled the word is " tidy " , so is " the tidy boat man ". you about over 20 years young to seen the commericals.

Tustin, California
#24New Post! Sep 07, 2021 @ 00:43:44
@Darkman666 Said

years ago, there was tv commercial got on. i misspelled the word is " tidy " , so is " the tidy boat man ". you about over 20 years young to seen the commericals.

I think maybe toilets used to function as a sort of ancient social media. I thought about that during a lecture about ancient Greece. The speaker had a Power-Point picture of public toilets in an ancient Greek city located now in Turkey. The toilets numbered maybe two dozen in a sort of patio, and I imagined the Greeks debating the issues of the day, while depositing the issue of the moment.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#25New Post! Sep 07, 2021 @ 01:35:17
@Estevanico Said

I think maybe toilets used to function as a sort of ancient social media. I thought about that during a lecture about ancient Greece. The speaker had a Power-Point picture of public toilets in an ancient Greek city located now in Turkey. The toilets numbered maybe two dozen in a sort of patio, and I imagined the Greeks debating the issues of the day, while depositing the issue of the moment.

in my 20's, i brought novelty item that might not fit this above.

it is an little outhouse that had an half shape of half moon on the door. when you open a man is turning back to you. more you open the door, the man starting turning to face you. when the door full open, the man facing you to pee on. ( real water came out of his corn cob. )

they had outhouses in ancient greece. actually, julius ceasar wasn't killed brutus and his collegues. no, the real fact that julius had bad eyes, and he was really drunk one night.

he stumbled into the closseum, and thought read the restroom on the door. but, julius misread the door's sign. it is said, " lion den ".

let us, the lions complained for a week, they had a bad case of heartburn.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs