News & Current Events

A Sad And Sorry End To A Moment From History

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Dec 01, 2020 @ 23:40:45

Thirty years ago today, 1 December 1990, Britain and France were joined when the two halves of the newly dug Tunnel met beneath the English Channel.

For the first time since the end of the Ice Age, Britain was joined to the continent.

It was a historic moment and although I was only 6 years old at the time I have a recollection of something really important being watched by my family on the TV and everybody being really happy about it.

On that day, our countries were joined in friendship and mutual co-operation in an astounding joint venture that showed us at our very best.

Today, Britain is retreating behind a barricade and putting up a wall to "keep the foreigners out."

This is worse than sad. It's Little Britain at its insular, most small-minded worst.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Dec 02, 2020 @ 08:48:25
@Jennifer1984 Said

Thirty years ago today, 1 December 1990, Britain and France were joined when the two halves of the newly dug Tunnel met beneath the English Channel.

For the first time since the end of the Ice Age, Britain was joined to the continent.

It was a historic moment and although I was only 6 years old at the time I have a recollection of something really important being watched by my family on the TV and everybody being really happy about it.

On that day, our countries were joined in friendship and mutual co-operation in an astounding joint venture that showed us at our very best.

Today, Britain is retreating behind a barricade and putting up a wall to "keep the foreigners out."

This is worse than sad. It's Little Britain at its insular, most small-minded worst.

Thanks. I was not aware of this anniversary.

(I've adapted your post somewhat and posted it on my Facebook Page. Hope you do not mind)
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Dec 02, 2020 @ 17:31:35
@dookie Said

Thanks. I was not aware of this anniversary.

(I've adapted your post somewhat and posted it on my Facebook Page. Hope you do not mind)

I'm flattered..!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs