Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Give channel refugees a chance?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 15, 2020 @ 17:23:45
Just read a headline, here it is..... 'Give refugees crossing channel a Chance Say Windrush Survivors!' Interesting that. The Windrush survivors were dragged through some unnecessary s**t recently and i would hate for them to suffer the consequences of having a significant number of economic migrants squeezed into their neighbourhoods. Hopefully the Windrush survivors have become middle class and moved from the s**t areas which means that other inner city dwellers will suffer instead.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 15, 2020 @ 18:24:00
@offbeat Said

Just read a headline, here it is..... 'Give refugees crossing channel a Chance Say Windrush Survivors!' Interesting that. The Windrush survivors were dragged through some unnecessary s**t recently and i would hate for them to suffer the consequences of having a significant number of economic migrants squeezed into their neighbourhoods. Hopefully the Windrush survivors have become middle class and moved from the s**t areas which means that other inner city dwellers will suffer instead.

Suffer..?

What is it that makes you think having migrants here is some sort of sufferance..?

It would also help if you could attach a link to the (alleged) 'headline' so we could all read it and see exactly what it is you're responding to. We could then all make up our own minds.

Or does this 'headline' not exist and you're simply making it up to be inflammatory..? Please feel free to prove my suspicions wrong. Post the link.
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 15, 2020 @ 18:53:11
@Jennifer1984 Said

Or does this 'headline' not exist and you're simply making it up to be inflammatory..? Please feel free to prove my suspicions wrong. Post the link.

Hi, I put the words of the "headlne" into Google and got two hits. One was a Guardian article. Quite interesting.

The final words:- "Although more than 4,000 people have crossed the Channel in at least 300 boats so far this year the UK received 35,566 asylum applications last year, while France received 123,900 and Germany 142,500."

...which of course undermines the assertions by Offbeat, when he asked why do these migrants pass through so many safe countries to risk a channel crossing. The answer is, many more do not. Of course, facts don't always change a persons mind when it is set in stone.

london, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 15, 2020 @ 19:42:49
@Jennifer1984 Said

Suffer..?

What is it that makes you think having migrants here is some sort of sufferance..?

It would also help if you could attach a link to the (alleged) 'headline' so we could all read it and see exactly what it is you're responding to. We could then all make up our own minds.

i don't know how to post a link, but i'm willing to swear on the life of my only child that i would never quote a headline that didn't come from a news agency. ( good grief, you must think so little of me to think i would lie like that ). It exists. The suffrage being the demand for housing in an area that is short of housing already etc.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 15, 2020 @ 20:52:33
@offbeat Said

i don't know how to post a link, but i'm willing to swear on the life of my only child that i would never quote a headline that didn't come from a news agency. ( good grief, you must think so little of me to think i would lie like that ). It exists. The suffrage being the demand for housing in an area that is short of housing already etc.

The actual housing shortage is far more to do with the decisions and inaction of successive UK Governments than actual numbers, whether constituted by UK citizens, migrants or EU nationals. Our immigrants PAY THEIR WAY tax wise.

(Personally I believe that a shortage of housing is looked upon benignly by Tory Governments, for various reasons)

london, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 10:29:05
@dookie Said

The actual housing shortage is far more to do with the decisions and inaction of successive UK Governments than actual numbers, whether constituted by UK citizens, migrants or EU nationals. Our immigrants PAY THEIR WAY tax wise.

(Personally I believe that a shortage of housing is looked upon benignly by Tory Governments, for various reasons)

It doesn't matter why there is a housing shortage. The important thing is that there is a housing shortage. You're approaching this from the wrong angle, making it about the shortcomings of UK government. My concern here is that those Windrush people might have shot themselves in the foot. All i can assume is that they're in a nice area now. Somewhere peaceful and beautiful, somewhere that has hardly any scumbags causing mayhem, perhaps they have moved to Jen's area, the peaceful West country. We can only hope... p.s Labour 'Mayor' sadiq Khan got into power on the promise of building over 100,000 houses in London. He has totally failed on that promise. The guy is a waste of space!
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 10:42:18
@offbeat Said

It doesn't matter why there is a housing shortage. The important thing is that there is a housing shortage. You're approaching this from the wrong angle, making it about the shortcomings of UK government. My concern here is that those Windrush people might have shot themselves in the foot. All i can assume is that they're in a nice area now. Somewhere peaceful and beautiful, somewhere that has hardly any scumbags causing mayhem, perhaps they have moved to Jen's area, the peaceful West country. We can only hope... p.s Labour 'Mayor' sadiq Khan got into power on the promise of building over 100,000 houses in London. He has totally failed on that promise. The guy is a waste of space!

I read about the concerns of the "Windrush people" as you call them. Their concerns were/are far more nuanced (!) than you own "concerns". This being so, it is in fact you that approaches this from the wrong angle.

So much is inter-related. Your failure to see beyond your very own "bullet points" makes you virtually incapable of reasoned debate.

london, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 12:02:15
@dookie Said

I read about the concerns of the "Windrush people" as you call them. Their concerns were/are far more nuanced (!) than you own "concerns". This being so, it is in fact you that approaches this from the wrong angle.

So much is inter-related. Your failure to see beyond your very own "bullet points" makes you virtually incapable of reasoned debate.

Jeez, you said 'nuanced' again! How else can i refer to them except as the 'windrush people?' That's what they were called in the 'news' piece? And typical leftie tactic by you there ... Whenever their views are opposed they say that the opponent is unreasonable, unintelligent, ill informed etc. They often use far worse names to shut down debate but i'll give you your due and say that you haven't gone that far.
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 12:31:30
@offbeat Said

Jeez, you said 'nuanced' again! How else can i refer to them except as the 'windrush people?' That's what they were called in the 'news' piece? And typical leftie tactic by you there ... Whenever their views are opposed they say that the opponent is unreasonable, unintelligent, ill informed etc. They often use far worse names to shut down debate but i'll give you your due and say that you haven't gone that far.

Ha ha! Do you think you are the only one here who says things to wind others up! Calm down, calm dowm.

I can only draw conclusions from my experience. You demonstrated very convincingly that a lot of your unyielding views on the legal system and its enforcement was drawn from watching TV shows. Then have the audacity to claim those who dispute with you are "brainwashed"!

london, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 12:56:13
@dookie Said

Ha ha! Do you think you are the only one here who says things to wind others up! Calm down, calm dowm.

I can only draw conclusions from my experience. You demonstrated very convincingly that a lot of your unyielding views on the legal system and its enforcement was drawn from watching TV shows. Then have the audacity to claim those who dispute with you are "brainwashed"!

They were documentaries, so i'm learning from a true representation of the facts. Take a look at my other topic to see a good example of what i'm talking about. For some reason all of the things i've spoken about has been missed by you. I imagine you spend most of your time boning up on philosophers and poets.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 17:39:44
@offbeat Said

He's made a start. Houses don't sprout up like mushrooms overnight. It takes many years to get programmes started from scratch, especially after years of neglect by the former incumbent of the post (guess who).

Building Council Homes For Londoners

The programme has started. It will deliver in the fullness of time. Of that I'm sure.

The only other thing I'm sure of is that if a Tory takes over as Mayor at the next election, the programme would be stopped immediately, and the new incumbent will claim credit for all the good things that happened before he took office.

Just like the last Tory Mayor of London.

london, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 18:18:55
@Jennifer1984 Said

He's made a start. Houses don't sprout up like mushrooms overnight. It takes many years to get programmes started from scratch, especially after years of neglect by the former incumbent of the post (guess who).

Building Council Homes For Londoners

The programme has started. It will deliver in the fullness of time. Of that I'm sure.

The only other thing I'm sure of is that if a Tory takes over as Mayor at the next election, the programme would be stopped immediately, and the new incumbent will claim credit for all the good things that happened before he took office.

Just like the last Tory Mayor of London.

I've got no time for Khan or that t*** who is now in charge of the country. In fact i regard all politicians as self serving egotists. But, i don't like it when they talk the talk to get the job but don't deliver once they are in office.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 18:27:07
@offbeat Said

I've got no time for Khan or that t*** who is now in charge of the country. In fact i regard all politicians as self serving egotists. But, i don't like it when they talk the talk to get the job but don't deliver once they are in office.

It is true he has yet to deliver but it can be said he is in the process of delivering.

Rome.....or in this case, London.....wasn't built in a day.

london, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Aug 16, 2020 @ 18:47:47
@Jennifer1984 Said

It is true he has yet to deliver but it can be said he is in the process of delivering.

Rome.....or in this case, London.....wasn't built in a day.

That's part of the problem though. We need something written into the campaigning rules. With regard house building there needs to be a brake on politicians making claims that can't be realized. A set of rules that a campaigning politician must adhere too, in order that the voters aren't deceived into believing something that isn't likely to happen. Such a set of rules will stop the public ( most of them ) from seeing politicians as liars.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs