ATM scam exposes risks

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#1New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:11:09
QUEENSLANDERS have been hit for the first time by a sophisticated automatic teller machine scam which the banks have so far proved almost powerless to combat.

Police have warned that the latest scam detected in Brisbane would be just the first of many hi-tech attempts to empty consumers' bank accounts.

The scam works by attaching an electronic device to the ATM slot which "reads" a customer's debit card details, and electronically copies those banking details for later use.

The scammers typically peered over consumers' shoulders or "shoulder surfed" to obtain PINs, although more sophisticated systems can include a pinhole camera or fake keypad.

The data is later encoded into a blank card which is used to siphon money from unsuspecting customers' accounts.

Queensland Police were alerted to the scam on February 21 after a man noticed and removed a device attached to a Suncorp ATM in the Myer Centre and was quickly accosted by three men who stole the device back.

Detective Acting Inspector Graham Clark, from the Fraud and Corporate Crime Group, warned the Myer Centre incident was unlikely to be a one-off.

"It's been utilised interstate but it's the first recorded incidence in Queensland of card-skimming," he said. "The way the technology is, and is becoming available, I think we will see more of it in the future."

Insp Clark said this particular attempt to skim debit cards appeared to have been amateurish as the device was stuck to the machine's card slot with double-sided sticky tape.

He said sophisticated debit card scams were difficult to identify and, if the scames were executed successfully, consumers would only know they had been fleeced when "something irregular appears on (their bank) statement".

A Suncorp spokesman said no customers had money stolen from their accounts as a result of the scam, and people who had used the ATM had been contacted and offered new debit cards.

Australian Bankers Association chief executive David Bell said customers would not be held liable for "losses resulting from unauthorised transactions, where it is clear the customer has not contributed to the loss".

But QUT electronic business law senior researcher Adrian McCullagh said the incident was likely to be the first of many ATM skimming scams, which could cost the community millions of dollars once skimming devices became more commonly available.

"If something's not done now, in four years' time it will be a major, major problem," he said. "Once it starts in one area, you will then see there is going to be an ever-increasing incidence of these types of criminal activity."

Dr McCullagh said banks could move to stop the theft by introducing "smartcards" with a computer chip recognised in ATMs, but were reluctant to do so while it cost less to reimburse consumers' losses.

He said the top six banks made a profit of $11 billion in 2004, and could roll out smartcards over two financial years at a cost of $700 million, or just 3 per cent a year.

"Doing a cost-benefit analysis, it probably doesn't really make sense for them yet," Dr McCullagh said. "But the problem with that is that it is the poor customer who gets hit with these illegal transactions and has to establish to the bank's satisfaction that the transaction was illegal."

RMIT information security program leader Dr Asha Rao said banks were likely to suffer more significant card-skimming losses in future, though, as "organised crime gangs" took over from "kids with too much time on their hands".

She said ATMs with card-skimming devices attached often looked no different to ordinary ATMs, but consumers should pay particular attention to the machine's card slot and monitor their bank statements for irregularities.

Police are seeking two men of eastern European appearance and a caucasian man with a goatee beard in connection with the skimming attempt.

https://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,18341959%255E952,00.html
bendover On November 25, 2007

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#2New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:15:39
They have been using gadgets like that in Ireland for quiet some time.

Some look just like the ATM and are fixed by magnets etc.

When you use the ATM it looks just normal but the gadget scans your card and they clean you out very quickly thereafter.
cobber On July 22, 2006

Deleted
Banned

Rockhampton, Australia
#3New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:21:39
Bring back cash! Bring back chickens!
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#4New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:21:39
That has been a problem here in the US too. I don't use ATMs anymore unless it's inside my bank.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#5New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:48:56
@reiko Said
That has been a problem here in the US too. I don't use ATMs anymore unless it's inside my bank.

Surely that negates the handiness of the ATM inthat you can get access to your money any time you want it.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#6New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 22:51:49
@bendover Said
Surely that negates the handiness of the ATM inthat you can get access to your money any time you want it.

Yeah but the only time I use cash these days is when I give my little cousin her allowance so I just go to the bank ATM for that, otherwise I always use a debit card or credit card for transactions.

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#7New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 23:01:57
I realise I'm old fashioned but I still like cash in my pocket when I go into a bar or restaurant etc.
Erlend On July 29, 2009

Deleted

Troms?, Norway
#8New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 23:04:28
This is yet another example of how useful it can be to check for foreign objects around ATMs. Did you know they're called "minibanks" here?

What does ATM stand for, anyway? "Access to Thy Money"?
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#9New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 23:06:55
I wish we could just use thumb scans for everything like in back to the future

Deleted

Muff, Ireland
#10New Post! Mar 03, 2006 @ 23:11:16
Automated Telling Machine.

We had a gang caught recently when a woman dicovered the gadget stuck to the ATM. It covers perfectly but just moved slighty when she lent on it.

She called for help and three hoods pounced on her to take the machine away before the police arrived.

A crowd of guys came to her rescue and the three Eastern European guys had to be hospitalised following their "detention" awaiting the police to arrive.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs