Television

Issues with American Gods

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#1New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 06:52:33
So I may be late to the news, but Actor and Writer Orlando Jones was fired by the current showrunner Charles Eglee. One argument that was made by Eglee was that Orlando's character wouldn't be around for the 3rd season because, as per the book, the character isn't in this part. Orlando Jones played Mr. Nancy. Mr. Nancy is the African trickster god Anansi, who is also known as the king of stories. Throughout the first two seasons, Mr. Nancy has a lot of interaction with the main characters, Shadow Moon (Mr. Wednesday's bodyguard and son) and Mr. Wednseday (Odin) as they prepare with other old gods to face the new gods (media, Mr. world, and technical boy). He is one of the most compelling and most outspoken characters throughout the story.

It is rumored that Mr. Nancy's Peace speech in season two is what led to Jones being fired. Eglee stated that that speech was sending the wrong message to Black America. Here is the video:

Since then, Orlando Jones spoke out against the show and Eglee. He went to the point of calling Eglee a 'culture vulture' and a 'wigga.' He even expressed his anger as he wasn't fired by Eglee directly, and they haven't also spoken before his firing, nor have they spoken after. Along with Eglee, he expressed his frustration with produce Fremantle and Starz for not even speaking on his departure as if it would be swept under the rug. Along with the links below, one of them includes an article stating the producers of the show are now being investigated for Jones' firing.

Producers being Investigated

Culture Vulture

Orlando Jones Speaking Out

In season 2, Orlando Jones was the writer for his character (as requested by the author Neil Gaiman) as well as the consulting producer for the characters of color. He did write the speech, which many fans loved and found inspirational, which possibly also cost him his job.

Personally, I love the show. I also heard that the statement saying Mr. Nancy isn't in the next season due to the accuracy of the book may be a false claim. One fan stated that Mr. Nancy is a major character throughout the entire book. Mr. Nancy is one of my favorite characters alongside Mad Sweeney, Mr. Wednesday and Mr. Ibis. I hope they have a change of heart and bring Mr. Nancy back.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#2New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 07:01:32
Correction. Here is the speech.

Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 07:05:44
Darkman666 On about 17 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Dec 25, 2019 @ 16:38:56
this year, I got dvd of American gods season one. I have admit that weird tv show, I've seen for awhile. the season finale was really strange. I been waiting for the library to put season two on the shelves. I like take my time to watch the whole season for me, ask to put me on the a list to wait for my time to see it. the library give short time to watch it.

when I saw the show, I like it. something to look forward. I just an article that morning, that 2019-2020, at least, 20 tv shows including on the list: American gods might be cancel. the list include dr. who, mainly because the first woman to play dr. who. all these 20 shows are probably cancel due really bad ratings. the one on the list that I really like it, it really brilliant done is the handmaid's tale. that I have the first three seasons. this show subject matter is dark and disturbing in many ways, that it, why so brilliant.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#5New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 03:56:51
@darkman666 Said

this year, I got the DVD of American gods season one. I have admitted that weird tv show, I've seen for a while. the season finale was really strange. I have been waiting for the library to put season two on the shelves. I like to take my time to watch the whole season for me, ask to put me on the list to wait for my time to see it. the library gives a short time to watch it.

when I saw the show, I like it. something to look forward to. I just an article that morning, that 2019-2020, at least, 20 tv shows including on the list: American gods might be cancel. the list includes dr. who, mainly because the first woman to play dr. who. all these 20 shows are probably canceled due to really bad ratings. the one on the list that I really like it, it really brilliant done is the handmaid's tale. that I have the first three seasons. this show subject matter is dark and disturbing in many ways, that is, why so brilliant.

Wow, I didn't expect that, or Handmaid's Tale to be canceled. My guess American Gods would be due to Jones' firing. He did exceptionally well for the show.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 05:31:00
@Cpat92 Said

Wow, I didn't expect that, or Handmaid's Tale to be canceled. My guess American Gods would be due to Jones' firing. He did exceptionally well for the show.

these tv shows, I mention hasn't been cancel yet. last month, the first indicator that past 6 to 8 weeks after the tv season has begun. last 3 to 5 tv seasons hasn't been that good with great tv to watch or recommend.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#7New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 05:34:06
@darkman666 Said

these tv shows, I mention hasn't been cancel yet. last month, the first indicator that past 6 to 8 weeks after the tv season has begun. last 3 to 5 tv seasons hasn't been that good with great tv to watch or recommend.

Ah, I see.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#8New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 05:39:17
Yeah, Handmaid’s Tale is Hulu’s flagship series. No way they are cancelling it or wrapping it up anytime soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
#9New Post! Dec 26, 2019 @ 18:46:38
with the handmaid's tale, the impression that I got that each season, if doesn't lost interest in audience. seem, the main character in the story would have fight each level of power to be free. obviously, it seem each season, the main character have main her sanity to go after the main villain that he or she running to be total free.

depending how many books were writing for this series of books that they adapted to tv. handmaid's tale in top 20 of tv best shows in the last 20 years. nothing is can top of best 20 tv shows: breaking bad as no. one is the last 20 years.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#10New Post! Dec 28, 2019 @ 13:38:27
Cpat as a tried and true conspiracy theorist I can appreciate the clip
but what i'm seeing, that many non-Caucasians don't, is that it is not just non-Caucasians being exploited.

Suppression and exploitation is an equal opportunity nowadays

It's not just white/black prejudice but also rich/needy and religious/non-religious

Concerning the abductions of ethnics most of those are taking place in foreign countries which don't have as much security or intelligence as Western-influenced nations.

Obviously there will be less white children to snag from Africa or the Middle East.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#11New Post! Dec 30, 2019 @ 20:38:20
@Electric_Banana Said

Cpat as a tried and true conspiracy theorist I can appreciate the clip
but what I'm seeing, that many non-Caucasians don't, is that it is not just non-Caucasians being exploited.

Suppression and exploitation is an equal opportunity nowadays.

It's not just white/black prejudice but also rich/needy and religious/non-religious

Concerning the abductions of ethnics, most of those are taking place in foreign countries that don't have as much security or intelligence as Western-influenced nations.

Obviously, there will be less white children to snag from Africa or the Middle East.

Well, that's only bringing it out to the remainder of the world. This speech alone, which many who like to bring up equality every chance they get when one side is being picked on, is that this is centered around what is happening in the US. While it's different outside the US, this is not of Ananse's concern. He mentions what is happening to all Americans of African Descent in America because many of them are his followers. His followers are being mistreated and killed off and he's in a war with and against Gods who are different from him. What pisses this off is that he's with 2 other African Gods who want to show restraint in such a time.

What you are seeing isn't wrong BUT it doesn't necessarily apply to what he is saying as his focus is those of his people's descendants and his followers who he is losing in America due to the issues he mentioned.
chaski On about 6 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#12New Post! Dec 31, 2019 @ 02:17:44
I'm an American God...

, New Zealand
#13New Post! Dec 31, 2019 @ 16:33:19
@chaski Said

I'm an American God...

Ironically (and sadly) this is how a good portion of Middle Easterners would regard you - just a worker bee driven by a hive mind.

Perhaps we should blame Bowie's influence

"I spoke into his eyes: "You must've died alone a long long time ago.""
chaski On about 6 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! Jan 01, 2020 @ 00:00:33
@Electric_Banana Said

Ironically (and sadly) this is how a good portion of Middle Easterners would regard you - just a worker bee driven by a hive mind.

Perhaps we should blame Bowie's influence

"I spoke into his eyes: "You must've died alone a long long time ago.""

Be careful or I'll thrash you with a thunderbolt or two!

, New Zealand
#15New Post! Jan 01, 2020 @ 02:18:26
@chaski Said

Be careful or I'll thrash you with a thunderbolt or two!

heh
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs