Art & Literature

Reading....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#1New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 01:01:38
I’ve been off novels (fiction) for awhile... and put aside my bibles (no reason to read them again).

Mostly I read nature & science essays... think Matthiessen, Quammen, Snyder, Muir, etc...

Side note: string theory is idiotic... just saying...

I’ve pretty much read all of Tolkien... J. K. Rowling... George R R Martin... etc... you get the point (maybe)...

Did my SciFi stage from Asimov to everyone else...

Various biographies & autobiographies...

Mysteries...

International politics... for all practical purposes that could have ended with Politics Among Nations by Hans Morgenthau..,,

Etc...

But I’m loosing interest. 🤨

So I’ve started reading music.

The story line is slow... for now... we’ll see...
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#2New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 01:32:27
Oh... and a good friend of mine reads technical manuals for fun.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#3New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 01:51:31
@chaski Said

I’ve been off novels (fiction) for awhile... and put aside my bibles (no reason to read them again).

Mostly I read nature & science essays... think Matthiessen, Quammen, Snyder, Muir, etc...

Side note: string theory is idiotic... just saying...

I’ve pretty much read all of Tolkien... J. K. Rowling... George R R Martin... etc... you get the point (maybe)...

Did my SciFi stage from Asimov to everyone else...

Various biographies & autobiographies...

Mysteries...

International politics... for all practical purposes that could have ended with Politics Among Nations by Hans Morgenthau..,,

Etc...

But I’m loosing interest. 🤨

So I’ve started reading music.

The story line is slow... for now... we’ll see...

"Reading music" - do you mean like the musical scores of orchestrations?

Or lyrics

Or music theory

history?
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#4New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 01:54:45
@mrmhead Said

"Reading music" - do you mean like the musical scores of orchestrations?

Or lyrics

Or music theory

history?

Like the musical score... the notes, beats, rests, etc...

It is, admittedly, slow reading... in the past I would have said mind numbingly tedious...

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 02:12:27
@chaski Said

Like the musical score... the notes, beats, rests, etc...

It is, admittedly, slow reading... in the past I would have said mind numbingly tedious...

What kind of music?

Do you listen to the music before or while reading?

I can read music - for the purpose of playing, but not to sit down and read it like a book.
And a full orchestra score is mind boggling to me.

... you know the E G C F#A ... Bb notes etc don't make words ...

Darkman666 On about 9 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 02:53:51
most of the year, I read mystery/suspense paperbacks and on the interest, I like reading scientific news articles, mainly about astronomy.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#7New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 04:05:18
@mrmhead Said

What kind of music?

Do you listen to the music before or while reading?

I can read music - for the purpose of playing, but not to sit down and read it like a book.
And a full orchestra score is mind boggling to me.

... you know the E G C F#A ... Bb notes etc don't make words ...

Yes... "mind boggling" is pretty accurate.

Background:

I started picking up the guitar again. I had started learning 10+ years ago, but life got in the way. So now - recently - I started again. But now, I want to "read" music...

So, I was "reading" (trying to learn) the lines, time signatures... etc

Then, because it was classical guitar, I am learning/reading left hand finger movements... notes & cords...

So... example... notes A - A - E - E - B - C - B - A.... etc...
Then reading the note values... whole, half, quarter, eighth... etc...
Then since it is classical guitar... the right hand finger movements "P I M A"

Some of that being bounced off of (or compared to) "tablature" because that is the way much of the guitar music is presented (which I don't especially like)...

Then come the "rests" and the "ties"...

Then... because I am a nut bag... I start (for kicks) looking at "music ensembles"... etc...

Now, please don't get me wrong... I have not wrapped my brain around all this... but I can't help looking at it and trying to...

It is, at this point, very "mechanical"... but I'm starting to "hear" things... example... very small example... my 4th string (D) was off... I couldn't quite tune the guitar by ear, but could hear that it was off... it was very disturbing...

(Not like I was going to kill people, but it was getting in the way of my practice... )

So I feel like I am beginning to "hear" what I am "reading"... maybe...

And you are right... nothing like words. I can read Italian, Spanish, French... and if a word is not coming through, I can get the dictionary translation... This music thing is very different...

I feel like I am either on the edge of "understanding' OR very far from "understanding"...

Sorry for the rambling response... I've never been especially musically inclined, but I am working on it...

NE, Ohio
#8New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 12:52:44
@chaski Said

Yes... "mind boggling" is pretty accurate.

Background:

I started picking up the guitar again. I had started learning 10+ years ago, but life got in the way. So now - recently - I started again. But now, I want to "read" music...

So, I was "reading" (trying to learn) the lines, time signatures... etc

Then, because it was classical guitar, I am learning/reading left hand finger movements... notes & cords...

So... example... notes A - A - E - E - B - C - B - A.... etc...
Then reading the note values... whole, half, quarter, eighth... etc...
Then since it is classical guitar... the right hand finger movements "P I M A"

Some of that being bounced off of (or compared to) "tablature" because that is the way much of the guitar music is presented (which I don't especially like)...

Then come the "rests" and the "ties"...

Then... because I am a nut bag... I start (for kicks) looking at "music ensembles"... etc...

Now, please don't get me wrong... I have not wrapped my brain around all this... but I can't help looking at it and trying to...

It is, at this point, very "mechanical"... but I'm starting to "hear" things... example... very small example... my 4th string (D) was off... I couldn't quite tune the guitar by ear, but could hear that it was off... it was very disturbing...

(Not like I was going to kill people, but it was getting in the way of my practice... )

So I feel like I am beginning to "hear" what I am "reading"... maybe...

And you are right... nothing like words. I can read Italian, Spanish, French... and if a word is not coming through, I can get the dictionary translation... This music thing is very different...

I feel like I am either on the edge of "understanding' OR very far from "understanding"...

Sorry for the rambling response... I've never been especially musically inclined, but I am working on it...

If you get to the point of playing along with youtube videos, be aware that some are a) Off tune ( some as much as 1/4 step up or down) or b) Different key - your music or tabs may be in "A" but the video is in "G".

With electronic keyboard, it's just a matter of a few buttons to tune or transpose. But, as you alluded too, it plays tricks with the ears until you become adjusted... for that song.

Good luck and enjoy!

And as for words ... Well, I guess there's Abacab

gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#9New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 13:48:26
Bible reading is very important.

I've been reading through the bible for years since about the age of six. It's important to read the bible in total and not just cherry-pick verses based upon how popular they are.

Most always I use the Through The Bible Study Program

found here:

Thru the Bible with Dr. J Vernon McGee

Yesterday we were in the book of Daniel chapter 11 (15-36) dealing with the subject of prophecy.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

#10New Post! Nov 19, 2019 @ 15:39:39
@gakINGKONG Said

It's important to read the bible in total and not just cherry-pick verses based upon how popular they are.

Totally agree.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs