Environment

Nature and Ethics

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! Oct 15, 2019 @ 15:53:25
Killing one species to save another.

If it's truly an "Invasive Species" - as in the zebra muscle in the great lakes, or Burmese pythons in Florida, it's a little easier to justify.

The Barred Owl made it's way across the country "naturally" (with the help of landscapes changed by humans). And being bigger and more aggressive, it is displacing the Spotted Owl.

Owl-killing experiment

A little more sticky in my mind.
Darkman666 On about 12 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! Oct 15, 2019 @ 17:42:37
I remember my last three years at my boy's camp in Minnesota. I was staff for 4 years in the older part of the villages that down by the lake.

after 10:30, when I was coming down from the lodge, we had late night snack from 10:30 t0 midnight, going to my cabin with my kids. or, being o.d. duty from 10;30 to midnight watching kids in the village.

all staffs down there in both villages, we had a little guardian angel with us every night. at the beginning of the first of two villages, there was a tree, and there was an owl always every night, sitting on the branch watching everything.

you always heard the owl, make sounds like " who ", he had no rhyme in his voice to a rock singer back then. you literally beam your flashlight at him, he always there. never move ounce at all.

it is sad that men need to hunt for sport, that part of man's survival. I guess man is lucky that animals don't carry uzi with anywhere, they go!
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Oct 15, 2019 @ 19:32:14
@mrmhead Said

Killing one species to save another.

If it's truly an "Invasive Species" - as in the zebra muscle in the great lakes, or Burmese pythons in Florida, it's a little easier to justify.

The Barred Owl made it's way across the country "naturally" (with the help of landscapes changed by humans). And being bigger and more aggressive, it is displacing the Spotted Owl.

Owl-killing experiment

A little more sticky in my mind.

it is not nice to fool with mother nature.
chaski On March 28, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Oct 16, 2019 @ 00:16:06
Hitch hiking is a natural phenomena.

Animals have been doing it for millions of years... hitch a ride on a piece of flotsam an move down river or across an ocean...

Or hitch a ride on an animals fur, mud on a bird's foot, seeds on a shoe...

Follow migrating herds from one area to another...

Insects do it, rats do it, cats & dogs do it, birds... humans....

This, ultimately is what the owls have done hitched a ride with humans by way of following the human herd's migration.

Survival of the fittest is a tough game.

The adaptable generalists are the one's who win this game... but it is a natural game that has been at play since life was formed/created/introduced to planet earth.

In Florida "we" learned the hard way...

A) Be careful what "you" introduce (or allow to hitch hike) to the ecosystem, and
B) Be even more careful how "you" try to correct the problem... often the "correction" is at least as bad as the problem (i.e. human introduced invasive species), and often far far worse.

NE, Ohio
#5New Post! Oct 16, 2019 @ 01:11:02
@chaski Said

Hitch hiking is a natural phenomena.

Animals have been doing it for millions of years... hitch a ride on a piece of flotsam an move down river or across an ocean...

Or hitch a ride on an animals fur, mud on a bird's foot, seeds on a shoe...

Follow migrating herds from one area to another...

Insects do it, rats do it, cats & dogs do it, birds... humans....

This, ultimately is what the owls have done hitched a ride with humans by way of following the human herd's migration.

Survival of the fittest is a tough game.

The adaptable generalists are the one's who win this game... but it is a natural game that has been at play since life was formed/created/introduced to planet earth.

In Florida "we" learned the hard way...

A) Be careful what "you" introduce (or allow to hitch hike) to the ecosystem, and
B) Be even more careful how "you" try to correct the problem... often the "correction" is at least as bad as the problem (i.e. human introduced invasive species), and often far far worse.

Yes, that's what's lingering in the back of my mind. Let nature take it's coarse. Yes, we may affect it (migrations, "hitch hiking" ), but we shouldn't kill it - excessive logging, mining, fracking ...

As was not mentioned in the article in so many words, we over-fish salmon, but to keep the population viable we kill seals (our competition)

And to point B) Aren't the wolves in the northern plains an example of that? I thought I've heard that the re-introduction was more "successful" than planed in some places.

(and a quantum entanglement from nature to politics, is the middle east. who's trying to pick the winners?)
Darkman666 On about 12 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! Oct 16, 2019 @ 02:21:32
hitch hiking is not something the forum shouldn't promoting these days, especially with bozo. animals might be illegal come in the usa, get rides from house pets. these animals might come in from mexico or other countries without visas. protect these animals from bozo and the government at all cost!!

bozo might want your animals and stray animals in quarantine like cats, dogs, and hampsters, always easy hampsters. those hampsters charge 20 dollars a pop to hold them. I hate those bastards, no 5 dollars ain't good enough for them.

next November, make sure house pets vote against bozo in 2020.

NE, Ohio
#7New Post! Oct 16, 2019 @ 11:34:55
@darkman666 Said

hitch hiking is not something the forum shouldn't promoting these days, especially with bozo. animals might be illegal come in the usa, get rides from house pets. these animals might come in from mexico or other countries without visas. protect these animals from bozo and the government at all cost!!

bozo might want your animals and stray animals in quarantine like cats, dogs, and hampsters, always easy hampsters. those hampsters charge 20 dollars a pop to hold them. I hate those bastards, no 5 dollars ain't good enough for them.

next November, make sure house pets vote against bozo in 2020.

There is an environmental concern about his wall blocking natural, seasonal migration routes for some species.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs