Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
History

The stars and bars

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 20:21:38
The other day I got into a discussion about the Stars and Bars flag that is painted on the General in the Show The Dukes of Hazard . The other guy said it was the rebel flag and stands for Freedom.
Now this is a 42 year old American citizen who attended public schools.
I didn't laugh at him , didn't even crack a smile.
I did mention that it was the flag of the enemy Nd the listing side. The guy just repeated it stands for Freedom.
I mentioned that No.i t does not today it is the flag of the losers and back in its heyday it represented the side that didn't want to free their slaves. As a matter of fact, not wanting to give up their slaves was one of about five reasons the war between the states was fought.
So no that flag does now nor has it ever been about Freedom. And if you are ignorant enough to fly the stars and stripes and the stars and bars on the Same flag pole then your stupidity was on display for all the world to see.

The guy actually accused me of treason and blasphemy and went shopping out cussing stupid women who had no clue about how this would really works..
chaski On about 17 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 20:27:03
@white_swan53 Said

The other day I got into a discussion about the Stars and Bars flag that is painted on the General in the Show The Dukes of Hazard . The other guy said it was the rebel flag and stands for Freedom.
Now this is a 42 year old American citizen who attended public schools.
I didn't laugh at him , didn't even crack a smile.
I did mention that it was the flag of the enemy Nd the listing side. The guy just repeated it stands for Freedom.
I mentioned that No.i t does not today it is the flag of the losers and back in its heyday it represented the side that didn't want to free their slaves. As a matter of fact, not wanting to give up their slaves was one of about five reasons the war between the states was fought.
So no that flag does now nor has it ever been about Freedom. And if you are ignorant enough to fly the stars and stripes and the stars and bars on the Same flag pole then your stupidity was on display for all the world to see.

The guy actually accused me of treason and blasphemy and went shopping out cussing stupid women who had no clue about how this would really works..

The guy you were talking to is apparently a willfully ignorant nitwit.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#3New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 21:05:00
It was a battle flag....

States rights
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#4New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:29:57
Do you think the Dukes were brandishing it to promote racism and slavery?
Or the producers of the show?
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:34:29
@Erimitus Said

It was a battle flag....

Yeah, that's what I thought. I said so in another thread and I'm still none the wiser.
gakINGKONG On October 18, 2022

, Florida
#6New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:45:22
The television show was a light-hearted action comedy.

It was at least six shades lighter a subject on the civil war (if you can link the orange Dodge Charger to that war) than Hogan's Heroes dealt with Whirled-Wor-Duex.

Best believe us kids all loved to make sick jumps for our miature General Lee and we loved to whoop all the way. How bout them Duke boys!!!!
Darkman666 On about 1 hour ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#7New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:55:17
I never big fan of " dukes of hazzard " was just really bad tv show that trying to be " smokey and the bandit " like with attitude that how the south was like. the show was " the andy griffin show " , andy better than duke. it wasn't for daisy in the show, it would made after six episode, especially if on nbc.
Stalker

#8New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:55:53
@mrmhead Said

As with many, if not all, "symbols" meanings depend on who is using them and why.

I am a "southerner". As I grew up the confederate flag was in large part a symbol of being a "southerner". I don't remember anyone carrying, wearing, presenting the flag as a symbol of slavery or hate or segregation. I had a pair of cufflinks that were the confederate battle flag. It was "no big deal".

The reality, however, is that in many ways the confederate flag did in fact support those ideas of segregation and (in large part) hate... given that it was fully accepted that slavery was bad and long since gone.

Now... today... white supremacy groups from the "north" (we would have called them "damn yankees" ) have appropriated "our" flag specifically to promote their racist agenda.

This lead me to reassess my view of this "harmless" symbol... it isn't harmless... it isn't nice.... it is about raising one group (white people) up and putting all others (non-whites) down. Ultimately... that is its message.

@Jennifer1984 Said

Yeah, that's what I thought. I said so in another thread and I'm still none the wiser.

Yes. A battle flag. A flag of rebellion. A flag of war against the country. People can pretend like it is not, but that is what it was, and ultimately what it is.

Rebel Flag >>>> rebellion.

Flag of war >>>>> war.

A flag that symbolized a state's right to selectively suppress and repress a group of people into slavery... even if the "Federal" government wanted to protect all of its people... a state's right to discriminate as it saw fit.

Thankfully our "federal" government won that war.... though "we" still have a long way to go to fully make "things" right.
Stalker

#9New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:59:06
@gakINGKONG Said

Hogan's Heroes

Completely different story line.

Completely different symbology.

You could work on your analogies and comparisons... though I know you won't.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:05:13
I've read the other thread now and it all makes more sense now..... as if civil wars (and we've had a few here down the centuries...!!) ever do.

Reigns of terror with claimants denied the crown on the basis of gender...Dynastic wars fought over a rose bush.... kings getting their heads chopped off.... We've done the lot.

The current Welsh flag didn't have a dragon on it until somebody thought the Tudor Arms (white and green) were boring and thought that sticking a mythical fire breathing reptile in the middle would make it look more kickass.

Dontcha just love history...?

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:07:53
@mrmhead Said

I figure it was painted on that car because the sitting was in that part of the country and it looked good in an orange paint job. The rebel aspect probably played into the moonshine business that the Dukes were in to . I wasn't an avid fan of the show but I don't recall ever seeing any one but white folks on it.
I always found cousin Daisy's short shorts and 4inch spiked heels ridiculous BC made more so because she's the only female in that county that dressed like that. So between the super souped up car,the super short shorts and high heels and moonshine running , that flag was just more ridiculous in the midst of ridiculous .
Stalker

#12New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:15:16
@white_swan53 Said

...I don't recall ever seeing any one but white folks on it.

The had a few token episodes where the "dukes" (and probably Daisy) "protected" some black folk.

You know... hey you bad guys don't be mean to these simple black folk... they are good and obedient and we should just let them have their hammocks and live their lives unhindered by the real world kind of stuff.

Mostly the show avoided social issues... segregation was a quiet part of the show... women were sexy or older obedient mothers/grandmothers or evil criminal b****es... bad guys were thieves and drug dealers... the "law" were a bunch of buffoons...

Light on social commentary... big on slapstick...

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:28:10
@Erimitus Said

It was a battle flag....

States rights

Yes it was 'a' battle flag but it wasn't the battle flag. There several different flags the Confederate army used during the war.

battle flags of the south
I don't know if this link works. I'm posting this useing my phone .

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:35:25
@gakINGKONG Said

The television show was a light-hearted action comedy.

It was at least six shades lighter a subject on the civil war (if you can link the orange Dodge Charger to that war) than Hogan's Heroes dealt with Whirled-Wor-Duex.

Best believe us kids all loved to make sick jumps for our miature General Lee and we loved to whoop all the way. How bout them Duke boys!!!!

My two boys were some of those kids that thought the general Lee car was 'the car' the only car to have if you were cool. I'm sure they had dreams of becoming an owner if that car when they grew up. Lol
Stalker

#15New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:37:28
@white_swan53 Said

Yes it was 'a' battle flag but it wasn't the battle flag. There several different flags the Confederate army used during the war.

battle flags of the south
I don't know if this link works. I'm posting this useing my phone .

I'm sorry, but yes it was the battle flag of the Confederacy.

The CSA had numerous flags during the war. Each southern state had one or more flags during the war. The navy changed its flag a few times.

I think Mississippi had a slight color variation, and there were a few units that carried their own flag (as do our National Guard to this day).

But the official Army battle flag was universally >>>

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs