Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 22:53:44
@mrmhead Said

Re: Offended by Brit Flag - Well, it represents a country that suppressed our colonies, and that we had to fight to be free ...
And the Anglophiles admire our former suppressors.

... irregardless ( ) that my ancestors were somewhere in Europe at the time ...

Hmmmm..... OK.... so..... Elizabeth I gave Raleigh his charter to establish colonies in the new world in 1584. He never actually visited Virginia but he did send some of his expedition to the Americas and they established their first colony on Roanoke Island around 1585

I'm not too up on quite how Virginia really did come to be named after Good Queen Bess (it's getting late here and I'm a tad tired) but let's just agree that it did.

Firstly, the Union Flag didn't exist in 1584. James I didn't come to the throne until 1603 and the flag was designed in 1606 so for the first 20 or so years it couldn't possibly have oppressed any of the settlers of Virginia.... who were all of British extraction anyway and were quite happy to be recognised as such.... until at the very least the early 18th century.

There weren't really any "Americans" (even the name is of Italian origin. Just as well nobody named the country after Leif Eriksson. You'd all be calling yourselves 'leaves' now*. lol) as such until after the revolution. Everybody was a colonist of one kind or another and all identified either with Britain or France or whoever.

I guess you're just getting a bit full of revolutionary fervour and hey, that's cool around 4 July. It's to be expected. But it's worth remembering that for the best part of 200 years, from 1585 to 1776 or thereabouts, nobody complained about British rule at all. It was only after some daft stamp act and a tax on tea that things got all emotional and revolutionary.

But anyway, thanks for the advice about the flags. All tucked into the old memory banks now.

*The United States of Leif. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it...?
chaski On about 19 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#32New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:09:59
@Jennifer1984 Said

Hmmmm..... OK.... so..... Elizabeth I gave Raleigh his charter to establish colonies in the new world in 1584. He never actually visited Virginia but he did send some of his expedition to the Americas and they established their first colony on Roanoke Island around 1585

I'm not too up on quite how Virginia really did come to be named after Good Queen Bess (it's getting late here and I'm a tad tired) but let's just agree that it did.

Raleigh > Colony on Roanoke Island... failed. When Raleigh's people (friends? company? colleagues?) finally got back to Roanoke everyone was gone. Big mystery. CROATAN carved on a tree.... ???

Virginia > Founded by way of Jamestown... money making operation... the "London Company"... 1607... 13 years before the "Pilgrims" of Mayflower fame... (side note the 1st Thanksgiving in what is now the USA was in Virginia)... Virginia named after Elizabeth I... The Virgin Queen.

The people of the British colonies in the "new world" (what was to become the USA) were considered "free Englishmen".... well the men were... more specifically the white men who were not indentured servants...

Etc.
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#33New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:45:31
@mrmhead Said

On a TV spot they said he's offended because it represents a time in American history when slavery was accepted.

GMAFB!!

He's starting to sound like the GOPers that are still complaining about Hillary.

So this ex football player has a problem with anything American before the war between the states or before the civil rights movement or
Does he even really know what he has a problem with ?
Stalker

#34New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:45:49
And back on this Nike thing... Mostly for Americans....

The entire NFL and NBA are sponsored by Nike... The WNBA is sponsored by nike... The vast majority of College/University teams are sponsored by Nke... Well over 100 individual NBA players are sponsored by Nike... Numerous pro golfers... The USA national teams... Major League Baseball... etc.

So to any and all Americans who continues to attend games and/or watch TV airings of games in these sports, and yet continues to pitch a fit about Nike: You are a hypocrite.
Stalker

#35New Post! Jul 05, 2019 @ 23:46:31
@white_swan53 Said

So this ex football player has a problem with anything American before the war between the states or before the civil rights movement or
Does he even really know what he has a problem with ?

No.

He is a crybaby.
Leon On December 21, 2023

San Diego, California
#36New Post! Jul 06, 2019 @ 02:28:50
@Jennifer1984 Said

As I understand it (please forgive my not being 100% sure about this) the flag is / was that of the confederacy during the Civil War, right...?

Personally I have no issue with this..... it's a purely American affair..... but I can see why people would take exception to it.

As a non-interested party my take would be that the flag effectively ceased to exist with the Confederacy when they were defeated. It is defunct. The only reason anybody would want to keep it active is for the purpose of agitation and as a symbol of white supremacy.

I can understand why a lot of people would be offended by that. Even if the racial element could be discarded (which it shouldn't be) surely it is against the spirit of the Union.

If there are two flags, how can you be the UNITED States...?

I don't know the ins and outs of the Nike connection but I can understand why some might boycott them if they are strongly associated with the flag.

We have certain issues here over a flag too.

No it’s our official national flag. Circa 1777-1791. It only looks different because it has 13 stars instead of 50 - due to the fact we only had 13 states back then.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs