My Stats

Antarctica
PLS: ? 21.76

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Post digestive nuggets
TFS Journal
China
June 16, 2019 @ 12:34:40 pm
I received this email from an teacher in Beijing I correspond with.

This semester I have had a lesson in entitlement. One of my classes is made up entirely of Korean students. The Chinese students are here because they got the best grades in the country on their entrance examinations. The Koreans are here because they have rich parents. They keep the Chinese and Koreans in separate classes. The Chinese will strive for perfection- they'll cheat- but at least they are sneaky about it. The Koreans will show up for class when and if they feel like it. If I take them to task for anything, they have a stock answer. "I'm sorry. I will do better in the future". It is de rigeur to plagiarize and nobody is going to do anything about it. They all plagiarized the final paper- should I set up expulsion procedures against all of them? They are the next generation of leaders of their country and in the end, does it matter if they cheated in a course or twelve? I've been to Korea. The feeling there is- we are rich and therefore many times better than those laughable peons in the North. AND add to that the fact that South Koreans have a couple of years of military obligation- dues paid- period! Entitlement. Ok- they will pass- grades not as high as they want- but no big deal The world goes on. I introduced them to Vonnegut. Maybe some read it. Enough?

Quote | Reply

mrmhead

New Post! June 16, 2019 @ 12:53:36 pm
If you work for it, you tend to appreciate it more than if it is handed to you.

Quote | Reply