Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#1New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 16:38:51
Chapter 1: Measles

Quarantines on college campuses and cruise ships

"Aside from that Ms. Smith, How'd you like the last Avengers movie?"
(Apparently you can be contagious up to 4 days prior to showing symptoms)

I'm pretty sure my son was required to have the MMR vax, or a damn good reason not to, in order to attend school.

He had gotten it regardless.
Edit: "It" meaning the MMR vax

As did I as a child ... but now there's some reports that if you were vax'd within a certain date range, it may not be as effective as once thought.
Darkman666 On about 14 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#2New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 16:42:58
I remember getting measles several times a kid, even with the shot.
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#3New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 17:57:45
One possibility could be the disease gotten stronger since then . Just a thought.
chaski On about 4 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 18:11:16
@darkman666 Said

I remember getting measles several times a kid, even with the shot.

Same with me... but you may well have been much sicker if you had not had the vaccine.

In addition, it is probable that the vaccine is actually better now than it was 50+ years ago.

My opinion on the vaccines:

> Science has proven that this it causes autism is not true. People can say what the like, but if they claim that vaccines cause autism, they are doing so without facts nor evidence.

> Yes there was a doctor that (previously) made the claim that vaccines cause autism and other problems with children, I forget his name. However, he later retracted his claim. People tend to forget that part.

> Parents who don't get their children vaccinated are putting their children at risk... risk of brain swelling, brain damage or death.

> About one (1) in one thousand (1000) of those who contract measles die. That is slightly less than the number of solders who died when deployed to the Afghanistan war... though many of those solders were deployed 2, 3 or 4 times, thus increasing their odds of dying. Vaccines on the other hand reduce those odds.

> Finally, I don't think children should be kept out of school or sports it they don't get vaccinated. Just make parents sign a liability waiver as their children are the only ones who are actually at risk.

PS
I didn't spell check any of that... hopefully there is a humors mistake.
Darkman666 On about 14 hours ago

Saint Louis, Missouri
#5New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 18:22:49
more interesting how parents rather not vaccinate their children, because of fear of what if the shot doesn't work, than some side effects or it may not work at all.

most people won't get the flu shot to hasn't the new trend of flues that just pop up in months before, it's flu season. the average flu shot has about 3 to 5 strains of normal flues in the flue season.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 18:47:27
@chaski Said

Same with me... but you may well have been much sicker if you had not had the vaccine.

In addition, it is probable that the vaccine is actually better now than it was 50+ years ago.

My opinion on the vaccines:

> Science has proven that this it causes autism is not true. People can say what the like, but if they claim that vaccines cause autism, they are doing so without facts nor evidence.

> Yes there was a doctor that (previously) made the claim that vaccines cause autism and other problems with children, I forget his name. However, he later retracted his claim. People tend to forget that part.

> Parents who don't get their children vaccinated are putting their children at risk... risk of brain swelling, brain damage or death.

> About one (1) in one thousand (1000) of those who contract measles die. That is slightly less than the number of solders who died when deployed to the Afghanistan war... though many of those solders were deployed 2, 3 or 4 times, thus increasing their odds of dying. Vaccines on the other hand reduce those odds.

> Finally, I don't think children should be kept out of school or sports it they don't get vaccinated. Just make parents sign a liability waiver as their children are the only ones who are actually at risk.

PS
I didn't spell check any of that... hopefully there is a humors mistake.

Yessir.

My son is autistic and vaccinated. And if he wasn't vaccinated, he'd be autistic and more vulnerable to diseases.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#7New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 19:27:32
It’s the antigens - they decrease in number over time in your body. I got the MMR vaccination in the early 1970’s when I was a baby. And then got tested when I was 40 and, in discovering I only had trace amounts of the antigens remaining, had to be re-vaccinated at that point.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#8New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 22:24:21
The unvaccinated kids are risk to others, though. Ones that are too young to have the vaccine, the immuno compromised and those allergic or otherwise medically unable to take the vaccine.

Those people have to depend on herd immunity, and are the ones that probably will die.

I had to have my MMR when I enrolled in college, My parents think i had it sooner, as they didn't skip any, but we moved several times when I was young and part of my immunization records got lost. So i had to get it again to be on campus. I didn't have as severe of an egg allergy then, so I didnt have a bad reaction or it was not one made in egg. Even so they have non-egg vaccines now, the benefit of having so many vegans. So i will probably get the flu one next time around. I haven't got sick, but mostly im terrified about bringing a virus home, because my husband is so immuno-compromised that any bug usually means a hospital stay and my heart can't take that.

And I work with the public, aka germ factories in a place that thinks soap and sanitizer is a luxury.
Stalker

#9New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 22:47:50
@DiscordTiger Said

The unvaccinated kids are risk to others, though. Ones that are too young to have the vaccine, the immuno compromised and those allergic or otherwise medically unable to take the vaccine.

Very good point!

I was just reading a story about an infant that was too young to get vaccinated, and contracted measles who had never been vaccinated... the infant is/was very ill... the mother was pretty upset as one can imagine.
Stalker

#10New Post! May 02, 2019 @ 22:58:27
@Leon Said

...had to be re-vaccinated....

Yes.

I've had numerous "boosters" for just about everything.

My travels (both work and pleasure) have taken me to some pretty dangerous places... and I mean relative to diseases...not violent people (though there some of those also)...

I've had shots for everything from anthrax to rabies to yellow fever to...etc... etc...

(My doctor says I'm protected from everything except "Japanese encephalitis", I think she's close to being right...)

...anyway I've had "boosters" for many of them...
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#11New Post! May 03, 2019 @ 00:00:38
Wow! I didn't realize it - but while we're talking 600-700 cases here in the US, I just saw a graphic about Europe - All countries, with 3 of them in the 1,000's of cases!

I'll see if I can find a link.

Brb

Edit: ... All I can find is the most recent data from February ...
And even then they noted a dramatic increase over the previous months.
ECDC
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs